Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have it? Known anyone to have it? Did you notice much of a change in driving experience?

I already have a Trifecta tune but since the car is parked for the winter so I figured that I'd try this out.

Dave's website claims:

The WERKSracing Automatic Kappa 2.0T LNF TCM Tune is custom programmed to your specs for a completely new driving experience!!!
Features - Increased line pressure for firmer shifts
Raised shift point rpms
Raised shift point mph
Decreased shift time for faster shifts
Removal of torque management within TCM

Includes standard ground return shipping!

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Choptop to the rescue!! I did a search.....but didn't go back to 2014; you're the man!! Thank you!!

My TCM is currently boxed up and sitting in a UPS store. I look forward to getting it back and driving this spring.

Now I get to go back home and continue removing my intake and throttle body so I can installed the PAW spacers...

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At $200 I figured WTH. I drive it so rarely that when I do, I'd like to have as much of a sporty ride as possible.

Luckily removing the intake today was great fun considering the day started off at -4°F. The garage has been a steamy 39° F.

I bought the spacers at last year's NASSAM and for some ridiculous reason thought today would be the best day to deal with them! Sigh...

I'm about to install the throttle body spacer to the bottom of the intake and call it quits I believe...

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
I have considered this, and still am. Talked with Robotech about it last weekend. Going to give Dave a call. He has some knowledge of my build and would be the best source for input. I am worried with the increased horsepower from the hybrid turbo, might need it. No real idea.

Saveaux, what area do you live in? A lot of twist roads nearby? If so, have you tried the I gear in those types of turns. It seems most never use it, and that type corner/drive is what the I gear is all about. If you have, then you know how much fun it is. lol

I have been working in the garage at around 22 degrees for the last week or two. Not supposed to be that cold here for that long.

Taking my Skpel out for a drive to Temecula tomorrow. Most likely no top down driving as the high is about 60 in mid afternoon. Hope to be hom before that.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
I have considered this, and still am. Talked with Robotech about it last weekend. Going to give Dave a call. He has some knowledge of my build and would be the best source for input. I am worried with the increased horsepower from the hybrid turbo, might need it. No real idea.

Saveaux, what area do you live in? A lot of twist roads nearby? If so, have you tried the I gear in those types of turns. It seems most never use it, and that type corner/drive is what the I gear is all about. If you have, then you know how much fun it is. lol

I have been working in the garage at around 22 degrees for the last week or two. Not supposed to be that cold here for that long.

Taking my Skpel out for a drive to Temecula tomorrow. Most likely no top down driving as the high is about 60 in mid afternoon. Hope to be hom before that.
Hey, that reminds me of this old thread:: Pontiac Answers 5spd Auto users; When do I shift into D, 4, I or L? https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/pontiac-answers-5spd-auto-users-when-do-i-shift-into-d-4-i-l-74635/

2009/WELCOME EDITION/Solstice/Pontiac Performance/Front cover: Rear view pic Mean GXP (matching yellow license plate TRC 432)
INSIDE: KNOWLEDGE IS POWER - LEARN ABOUT YOUR SOLSTICE

Pg 8
Q: My Solstice has a 5-speed automatic transmission with shift indicators of PRNDIL. When do I shift into 4, I or L?

A: The D position (overdrive gear) is used for most normal driving situations. It allows the transmission to shift into fifth gear, which provides the fuel-economy* advantage. The fourth postion (4) prevents the transmission from going into fifth gear. It's used for driving around town when you don't need overdrive.

The I position prevents the vehicle from shifting past third gear and should be used when driving on hilly or winding roads.

The L position prevents the transmission from shifting past second gear. It should be used only at extremely low speeds, such as in parking lots or when driving through mud or deep snow.

*EPA estimated mpg 19 city/27 hwy (Solstice GXP with auto); 19 city/24 hwy (Solstice with auto.).

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@skersfan I live in Littleton Colorado, a suburb of Denver and am about 2 miles by way of crow fly to the foothills. I can be on my local favorite 16 mile twisty turn, mountain road in about 10 minutes from my house. This road begs to be driven in I only and the car LOVES it! Dave's TCM tune wouldn't do anything if the car is left in a single gear as it's only to make the auto shift faster and harder, but I don't think that was ever a question that you had!

We have a fellow in our club that likes to drive FAST. He was a cruise leader at last years NASSAM and one of the days I was the only one who showed up. We had a very "spirited" drive and it was on this drive that I learned just how hard our Kappa's can take turns without using the brakes. That was before my complete frame bracing and coilovers. I'd love to follow him again now that I've got the car planted to the ground!

I look forward to driving the car this spring with the TCM tune.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Although 4, I, and L are useful, the biggest problem is the time delay shifting when switching back and forth between I and L in the twisties.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
Alannn, I never use L, but concentrating to shift to fourth is sometimes a problem(not really) meaning I could have and didn't or did and should not have.

Saveaux, yea once you discover what it will do you always want to be in it. lol

Robotech on the other board is a die hard stick shift guy, he had never heard of the I gear. I took him for a ride up 243 in mine and he said he had no idea it would work like that. He was amazed was his words if I remember correctly

We have an all mountain road run in October that I promote, and we get to going pretty quick, several heavy footed operators, including my other half. A bunch of autocrossers in the first 5-10 cars. 243/74 (Palms to Pines) is where BMW, Mercedes, Ford and GM do a lot of testing and photo shoots. Scenic highway that goes from 2400 feet to over 6000, down to -200 foot, in about 45 miles. Twisties the whole way. I put it in the I gear and have to shift to 4th 4 or 5 times. I never counted honestly. Not much on gas mileage though, but who cares!

But any automatic driver that has not driven one in I gear on a twisty mountain road has missed a tremendous amount of fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts