Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
This is my first post. I'd value your opinions about this:

I found a 2006 with all the options, an air scoop, and a stainless exhaust. It has less that 16,000 actual miles. It has been garaged AND covered, has been driven in the rain one time. The owner never drove it in winter and waited until late spring until all the salt was off the roads before he brought it out. The Goodyear tires have lots of tread. It looks like it just came off the showroom floor, inside and out.

He wants $15,500 for it and rejected my offer of $14,500.

Is this a reasonable price, do you think? I know it is above Edmunds and pretty close to KBB but it's an awfully nice car.

Thanks for your help!

John in Indiana

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts
an '06 can only be a NA as far as I know.

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts
ask to make sure the diff recall was performed on the car.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Last December I paid 11400 for my Silver 06 with all the options with 41k on it. Do you know how long he has had it for sale? I think as soon as the weather turns there the price will drop as it is a convertible. I used to wholesale cars for Enterprise and there is nothing worse than selling a convertible in the rain or winter. I think 14500 you are being very reasonable I would have sold it to you.

·
Super Moderator
16,400 Posts
Just did a quick search on Autotrader.com

Shows 158 Solstices with less than 15000 miles

$14490 2006 = 5600 miles

$14500 2006 = 10,135 miles

$14792 2006 = 14,113 miles

$15,000 2006 = 5000 miles

$17,990 2007 = 7212 miles GXP

·
Registered
448 Posts
Depends on the area. For some reason in the western burbs in Chicago they're in high demand all of a sudden. 3 weeks ago my dealer offered me 16k for mine on a trade in, he said he has folks knocking down their door for them. I know another owners out this way that just recently got 19k...both his and mine are GXP's so factor in some extra for that. My guess is the owner probably can get that for the car if he's patient and not needing to sell quick. Likewise, you can probably find one cheaper if you're patient and not needing/wanting a quick buy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My opinion,these are strange days for car sells. A punishing economic buyers are showing that if a car is on their personal wish list, they’re willing to pay extra; thousands of dollars extra. But that doesn't mean every vehicle is a bargain; plenty are still overpriced.

·
Registered
848 Posts
My opinion,these are strange days for car sells. A punishing economic buyers are showing that if a car is on their personal wish list, they’re willing to pay extra; thousands of dollars extra. But that doesn't mean every vehicle is a bargain; plenty are still overpriced.

yes, true, things to consider, there are a lot of baby boomers at or nearing retirement, and with everything going on, that little fun mobile needs to be something realistic price-wise for many people.....case in point with us, our friends (1 retired, 1 working), just bought an '07 red Convertible N/A with 39k on it, probably got it very reasonably. I'm much more a car fanatic, and my wife has always wanted one of these, but in '07 we were pricing base convertibles. Then she got the itch when our friends bought one. When I saw the GXP version a month or so back I convinced her to opt up. Then I saw the coupe, showed her the coupe, and the rest was history. It's still a very reasonably priced car given the price and looks of a lot of the competition, all the solstice/sky models are. And depending on what you are after, these are definitely in the price range and fun range of people that perhaps were also considering more expensive options.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all for your advice! The car is not a GPX but it does have an added air intake and something done to the exhaust that supposedly adds a few horses. It looks cool because the two pipes come out the rear in the center of a panel painted to match the car. I went ahead this morning and bought the car for $15,200 including a custom car cover. I try to make a practice of never falling in love with a car because, as the old saying states, "the guy who cares the least gets the best of the deal." But I really want this car, it is so beautiful and perfect. BTW when the owner bought the car in '06 he had waited a year for it and still paid $3K over sticker price. He wanted a GPX but didn't want to wait another year. I'm sure we're gonna have some fun with it!

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Has to be NA as it is a 2006.
The first GXPs were delivered to customers at the end of 2006, but it is considered a 2007.

So someone could say that they bought and took delivery of their GXP in 2006.

·
Premium Member
10,465 Posts
True but the car is a 2007 model year. I'd picked my up in August of 2006.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
True but the car is a 2007 model year. I'd picked my up in August of 2006.
Exactly...but someone not in the know could look at the sticker in the driverside door area and see a 2006 build year...eg..08/06 and assume its an 2006 GXP....but we know better.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Thanks to all for your advice! The car is not a GPX but it does have an added air intake and something done to the exhaust that supposedly adds a few horses. It looks cool because the two pipes come out the rear in the center of a panel painted to match the car. I went ahead this morning and bought the car for $15,200 including a custom car cover. I try to make a practice of never falling in love with a car because, as the old saying states, "the guy who cares the least gets the best of the deal." But I really want this car, it is so beautiful and perfect. BTW when the owner bought the car in '06 he had waited a year for it and still paid $3K over sticker price. He wanted a GPX but didn't want to wait another year. I'm sure we're gonna have some fun with it!
Congratulations on your purchase, I'm sure you'll love the car!

Bert

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I bought my 06 last month for 15,400 It has less then 5,000 miles on it. Garaged and last time the wife drove it she spun it. So it was parked for many years. They sold it to a dealership which is where I bought it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Congrats! I also have a manual NA and it has plenary of power on the twisty roads around here.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts