Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
The problem with catch cans is that the hot blowby in the crankcase has to be vented. The blowby contains oil suspended in the air and just like hot air from a air compressor the vapor has to be cooled to allow the suspended oil to settle and stay in the catch can. BMW solved this by using a finned oil line to cool the blowby and then into a reservoir. One way to achieve this would be to mount the catch can in the direct cool air coming into the grill away from the engine heat.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'll stick to my original statement that venting to atmosphere allows unmetered air into the engine which is not a good thing. Unless someone with more knowledge provides technical evidence regarding the MAF and ECM with regard to unmetered air.
If you delete the the hoses coming from the engine and put breathers on there you have to block off the connections where they connect to the intake tube and the turbo housing. If you block off both connection points NO unmetered air will enter the engine. Well, enter the intake or cylinders. So if you do this properly there will be no tuning issues. If you just put a filter on the front of the valve cover and leave the rear tube connected to the turbo housing then you will have unmetered air entering the intake and will cause tuning issues. So remove and plug both connection points or it's useless.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
7,118 Posts
You can do a delete by putting 2 air cleaners on the nipples that come off the valve cover and blocking off the connection at the turbo and the connection on the intake pipe. Be warned that you are going to have oil vapor to some degree coming out of the air filters and that will condensate in the filter and will end up making a mess. This will take a while before it happens but it will happen.

You also have to pull the intake manifold off and if you look at the intake manifold flange between the 2 middle ports there is a hole you need to remove the PCV valve that is in there and plug the hole. That PCV valve handles the venting when the car is not running under a boost condition. If you disconnect the lines at the top and put air filters on them you will end up with a vacuum leak because of this valve so it has to be plugged.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I was watching a video of a PCV delete using a small K&N type filter which is washable so keeping the filter clean isn't a big deal. I already have the valve cover off so plugging the vent isn't a problem. I'm going to put my new head on and I don't want carbon buildup in it so I'm going to do a PCV valve delete. Anything I do can be undone so if there's problems I can restore everything to stock.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
remember to remove and plug the PCV valve that is in the intake manifold. If you do not you will get DTCs set for lean condition and possibly misfires.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
red circle is where the PCV valve is.

Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Bicycle part Font

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
There is no "hose" the PCV valve screws into the mating surface on the intake. The "hose" is cast into the head so there is no hose to access. There is a hole that runs from the intake manifold into the crankcase through the head and screwed into the hole is the PCV Valve. I don't even know if it is screwed in it may be pressure fitted which means you would have to tap the hole in order to thread a plug into it. If this is not done then air is going to get pulled into the intake via the crankcase and if the air going into the valve cover is not metered by the MAF you will get a lean condition. So this MUST be blocked off in order to let the crankcase naturally vent to atmosphere.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
As the picture I posted shows. it is not on the bottom. It is IN the flange that mates to the head.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Now I know what the guts of a turbo looks like. It's a pretty simple design but I'm still amazed by the speed the impellers turn. When they break it definitely does some damage. I really hope no micro pieces of metel passed through the intercooler and into the intake

41 - 60 of 102 Posts