Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do the pedal plates attatch to the arms (clutch, brake, accellerator)?

The Solstice definitely needs upgraded pedal plates like:

I hope the aftermarket jumps on this.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I attached the image of the ones from the Dori-San thread.

Since they're covered by rubber we can't tell for sure what type of pedals they are. I'm betting they're like previous cars I've owned where it's a shaped piece of metal that the rubber pad just kinda slips around. If we're lucky they're the screw/bolt on type just covered by the rubber, but I'm betting they're not.

If they're the solid metal version then the best you can get is cheap aftermarket pedals that have clips/springs/screws to hold them in place. Most times they're not designed very well and don't stay on very well either.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
OBDII diagnostic port I suspect...

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yes, that is the ODBII interface that is now being used by both the dealerships and emission inspection stations.

The pedals can never be bolten in place from the factory, some saftey guideline that must be followed. They are a one piece welded piece each. To attach new pedal covers you will use self-taping screws and put them directly into the metal plates for the brake and clutch. The gas pedal is usually a hard rubber piece that cannot be pulled off, and the cover plate is bolten directly ontop of it too.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TerpFan said:
Yes, that is the ODBII interface that is now being used by both the dealerships and emission inspection stations.

The pedals can never be bolten in place from the factory, some saftey guideline that must be followed. They are a one piece welded piece each. To attach new pedal covers you will use self-taping screws and put them directly into the metal plates for the brake and clutch. The gas pedal is usually a hard rubber piece that cannot be pulled off, and the cover plate is bolten directly ontop of it too.
Well, i'll do what it takes. My father's Z06 pedals are a small but very influencing part of the interior personality.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
brentil said:
I attached the image of the ones from the Dori-San thread.

Since they're covered by rubber we can't tell for sure what type of pedals they are. I'm betting they're like previous cars I've owned where it's a shaped piece of metal that the rubber pad just kinda slips around. If we're lucky they're the screw/bolt on type just covered by the rubber, but I'm betting they're not.
GM doesn't use bolt on pads to the beam. They only use plastic one piece (beam & pad), metal beam w/ welded pad, or metal beam with plastic articulating pad.

From the picture it appears that the pad articulates (rocks back and forth without having to depress the pedal)... which I find surprising as it's more expensive for the fastner and spring involved and adds nothing to the car.

Someone with a car should confirm if the pad is plastic with a rubber cover, which is what it appears to be to me since I believe it is an articulated pad. If so... I would not risk putting on aftermarket sets unless they "wrap around" and secure to themselves... as all you have is a plastic pad and putting screws through it is only going to weaken the pedal. FWIW, you can remove the rubber pads on pedals... take a screw driver and pry off one corner. It's a pain to do when not installed in the car, can't imagine how bad it is to do in a car.

Also... beams are not replaceable units on an ETC pedal. If you break your pedal pad, you'll need a whole new accelerator pedal. I'm betting service price (based on what my last company sold ETC pedals for to the OEM's) will be at least $100 (and closer to $200) for a new one.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Pedals

I have drilled through OEM pedals and bolted on many pedal covers over the years and I have never witnessed, nor heard of anyone else experiencing, a pedla failure/break due to adding aftermarket pedal covers. In fact, an A4 Audi I built almost 10 years ago (owned by a friend) still has the same pedal covers I bolted on back then.

If anyone local is up to testing a set of pedal covers, I would be happy to work with you.

Jim

·
Registered
527 Posts
gravana1 said:
I have drilled through OEM pedals and bolted on many pedal covers over the years and I have never witnessed, nor heard of anyone else experiencing, a pedla failure/break due to adding aftermarket pedal covers. In fact, an A4 Audi I built almost 10 years ago (owned by a friend) still has the same pedal covers I bolted on back then.

If anyone local is up to testing a set of pedal covers, I would be happy to work with you.

Jim
Same here.

·
Registered
753 Posts
IMHO, the pedals are set deep enough into the footwell that they really aren't much of an appearance issue. As for pedal feel, the placement of the pedals is, for me, nearly ideal. It's a cinch to apply the brake and cover the accelerator to bring up the revs when downshifting. I wouldn't want to mess with something that works so well already.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Just discovered this last week that the Premium Package for the Sky adds metal pedals for that car along with metal door stills. We don't get either do we?

·
Registered
142 Posts
No, but if it's true about the Sky one would think they could be easily installed on the Sol (unless of course they're stamped with "Sky" or Saturn logos etc.) Could be good news!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SlyFly said:
No, but if it's true about the Sky one would think they could be easily installed on the Sol (unless of course they're stamped with "Sky" or Saturn logos etc.) Could be good news!
Mhmm... :yesnod:

...why anyone would want to stamp the Saturn logo into anything is beyond me.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Because Saturn is Mo' Fly! :cool:
You silly Pontiac people just haven't been enlightened yet. :lol:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
brentil said:
Just discovered this last week that the Premium Package for the Sky adds metal pedals for that car along with metal door stills. We don't get either do we?
Gee, I remember when aluminum door sills were the norm!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SkyCaptain said:
Because Saturn is Mo' Fly! :cool:
You silly Pontiac people just haven't been enlightened yet. :lol:
I was referring to the actual design of the logo, not really Saturn as a company.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Fortimir said:
How do the pedal plates attatch to the arms (clutch, brake, accellerator)?

The Solstice definitely needs upgraded pedal plates like:

I hope the aftermarket jumps on this.
The Sky will have metallic petals when you order the premium package....

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Classic66vair said:
The Sky will have metallic petals when you order the premium package....
and the Lotus Elise has carbon-fibre petals

So as long as the metal pedals on the Sky are nameless they could be swapped over to a Sol for the measly sum of several hundred dolars since it was posted you have to buy the whole friggin three pedal arm assembly(if I read it correctly)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts