Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot believe all the "Old Women" in this forum who are complaining about lack of storage, not enough horsepower (its torque, man, that counts!), and all the other design stuff. This is a beautiful little car that will be fun to drive, a "babe magnet" of the first order, and it is a bargain based on any kind of scale. Just get in line and buy one and enjoy it. Stop the whinning, guys!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
AZJuez said:
I cannot believe all the "Old Women" in this forum who are complaining about lack of storage, not enough horsepower (its torque, man, that counts!), and all the other design stuff. This is a beautiful little car that will be fun to drive, a "babe magnet" of the first order, and it is a bargain based on any kind of scale. Just get in line and buy one and enjoy it. Stop the whinning, guys!
Ok, see we ran out of things to talk about around November of last year, so we've just resorted to whinning like old women to pass the time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
AZJuez said:
... a "babe magnet" of the first order....
:lol: Thanks for the laugh this morning, yeah, that's why I'm considering the Sol. :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
AZJuez said:
OLD WOMEN?!?!?!? Just kidding - no offense taken, even if you DID mean to offend. :lol:

You've got it mostly right - however, just a little technical thing I just COULDN'T let go...

It is most certainly NOT all torque. Power is the thing that correlates most strongly to 1/4 mile ET and Speed, as well as 0-60. This is and has always been the case for internal combustion engines - both diesel AND gasoline.

Torque is the thing that is percieved in lower RPM driving - but doesn't seem to correlate much with anything other than towing capacity (I'm just generalizing, folks, but chime in and add the other things that torque does).

If it were REALLY all about torque - then all cars would be diesels - they generate significantly higher torque and significantly less power than a comparably sized gasoline engine.

You've hit the nail on the head with the rest of it, though.

·
Registered
352 Posts
:lol: Thanks for the laughs...

and like anything else....it takes someone special whose willing to compromise to own any sports car....

For the price of this solstice....a lot of people will have to decide can they actually compromise their life style on a few points to own this new comer....

Thats why in general the two seater market place is so small ...(comparatively) but its always been that way....

I admire the solstice for what it is....

World class sports car priced so reasonably it will be impossible for it not to sell out year after year..

·
5,641 Posts
As pointed out, in the post-production spec, pre-launch phase of a web site, there isn't much else to do.

But if you think the whinning is high now, wait til 2:10 Friday the 15th.

Although with two young daughters, I think all I hear are whines, so I myself haven't picked up on it here. :)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
The "babes" are already lining up!

·
Registered
67 Posts
This is why i like this forum so much. someone comes in and (it seems) intends to insult and enrage people. and everyone just laughs about it. i hate when people just start bashing someone in forums and threatens to kick someone a** when in all reality, only a few of us will ever have the chance to meet, although conejo is trying to change that and i admire him for his efforts. Thanks everyone for providing a fun forum that i will want to stay a part of.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think some Cougars maybe more fun then some young babies! LOL
Less mind games with Cougars

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
There has been some whining, but people are only expressing what they would like the Solstice to be. That is ok too, because if enough people say it, someone at GM might listen!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
AZJuez said:
The reason people are here is because they love the car and enjoy discussing it in every way. That includes its weak points or shortcomings. Those who like the car would like it to be all that it can, and that may involve tweaking the design a little. It's already been shown in other threads that GM appears to be actively monitoring this forum, so offering up our concerns may be giving them some much needed constructive criticism. I wouldn't be surprised if the moaning about the trunk space here over the last few months might have given them a sense of urgency about that factor and contributed to the fact that their latest announcement says you can fit a bag of golf clubs in the trunk (which didn't appear probable based on early discussion). At any rate, the car obviously has some drawbacks and is bound to evolve over the coming years, but that's not going to stop me from getting one the first year. I certainly hope GM doesn't screw with the awesome design of the car, but if they can tweak a few things in future models based on what their customers want, that's the whole point.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Fformula88 said:
There has been some whining, but people are only expressing what they would like the Solstice to be. That is ok too, because if enough people say it, someone at GM might listen!
And it appears they do listen.

·
Registered
391 Posts
AZJuez said:
Well my Dad is bigger than your Dad and if you dont stop calling me an "Old Woman" he is going to get mad :lol:

But on some level I do think you are talking about me on this one because I DO think the Sol IS underpowered. I DO think the trunk is for stuff NOT gas. I DO think the Sol is fat and should not be so heavy. So I will tell you why I think like this.
A) I have a 1988 Fiero GT with over 230HP and 250TQ
B) My Fiero is about the same weight as a Sol
C) My Fiero can hold everthing my wife and I need for a weekend trip
D) My Fiero gets about 30mpg
E) With all the modern technology we have now days the car should be lighter AND stronger than my Fiero
Just to be fair I do admit my Fiero is not stock
BUT if my Fiero out performs a BRAND NEW CAR that does LESS and holds LESS I will be VERRRRRY disapointed. I am useing my Fiero as a standard that ANY new car should be able to compeet with. So I voice my opinion about the short falls so GM will concider an upgraded Kappa to fill the needs of people out there that also think like me.
If you are happy with the way the car is then GOOD for you. I am NOT happy with some of the things I see in the Kappa and at the same time I REALY LIKE the car. So if I did not care I would just get something else. But I DO care, I DO want a SKY, I DO want a V6, I DO NOT want the gas tank in the trunk. Ya I like the car and I do think it is great for most people but it can be better and this is what I hope for.

Why on Earth would I just give up the things I want my car to do Just for LOOKS? In my opinion if the car looks like a sports car it BETTER perform like one. Heck if all I wanted was a good looking car I would just put a Ferrari Body Kit on one of my Fiero's and get MORE looks from the girls in a car that looks like $100,000 than a car that just looks diferent.

So this is why I am "whining"

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
AZJuez said:
a "babe magnet" of the first order,
Yea, but once you got that "babe" and she wants to go away for a long weekend or more, where you gon'a put her stuff!

·
Registered
67 Posts
LBJay said:
Yea, but once you got that "babe" and she wants to go away for a long weekend or more, where you gon'a put her stuff!

on the luggage rack she'll make you buy because she won't want it to be a "babe magnet" any longer and she can have you all to herself. :lol:

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Rickady88GT said:
A) I have a 1988 Fiero GT...
B) My Fiero ...
C) My Fiero ...
D) My Fiero ...
E) ... my Fiero.
Two points:
1. I wasn't aware that they ever made a convertible Fiero. It's kind of like comparing apples and oranges, since convertibles have some very specific engineering challenges that a regular car does not have to face.
2. Also, it sounds to me like nothing in the world could be better than your Fiero. So why buy a Solstice if what you really want is a Fiero?

With that said, let me also say that I understand your desire to get the qualities you want in the car you buy. Buying any car is a big chunk a change and you should definitely get what you want. If the qualities you listed are what you really want, maybe a Solstice roadster just isn't the right car for you.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
dengel said:
Two points:
1. I wasn't aware that they ever made a convertible Fiero. It's kind of like comparing apples and oranges, since convertibles have some very specific engineering challenges that a regular car does not have to face.
2. Also, it sounds to me like nothing in the world could be better than your Fiero. So why buy a Solstice if what you really want is a Fiero?

With that said, let me also say that I understand your desire to get the qualities you want in the car you buy. Buying any car is a big chunk a change and you should definitely get what you want. If the qualities you listed are what you really want, maybe a Solstice roadster just isn't the right car for you.
I don't want to put words in Rick's mouth, but I think he was trying to illustrate why he has spent so much time over the past months complaining about the lack of a more powerful engine, a 6 cylinder engine option, etc, available trunk space, etc. In fact, maybe you didn't even see most of those posts and threads, if you were not a member yet and not lurking (I have no idea if you were lurking for a long time before joining or not).

Rick has been outspoken about what he feels are major shortcomings, and he uses his Fiero as a comparison. These cars are close in size, they both are trying to appeal to the same market basis. They also both have shortcomings. Rick may just be curious why the Sol has made some of the shortcomings of the Fiero worse, such as lack of storage space.

On your points. 1: You don't think the Fiero didn't have any unique engineering challenges that other cars had to meet? I would wager it had more than the Solstice does, since there are plenty of front engine, rwd roadsters out there to use as examples. In the late 70's and early 80's, there were not many mid engine, rwd cars with full space frames and full composite bodies to reverse engineer and figure out how to do it right. I agree, the Solstice had some unique engineering hurtles then a typical car would have, but compared to the Fiero they are more common then they are different. (PS, Pontiac did engineer a convertable Fiero too, it didn't make it to market but they did have prototypes running around).

2: Nothing in the world is better than a Fiero! :jester: J/K of course. Its a personal decision for Rick. However, owning a Fiero myself, I will answer for myself. My Fiero is 17 years old, and has 115K miles. I am perfectly happy with it. However, it will not last forever and no longer has the reliability to make it a decent daily driver. In essence, its no longer practical to drive all over the place. The Solstice on the other hand would be new, reliable, and I would have full confidence to trust it to get to work on time or on a 2000 mile trip.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Rickady88GT said:
A) I have a 1988 Fiero GT with over 230HP and 250TQ
B) My Fiero is about the same weight as a Sol
C) My Fiero can hold everthing my wife and I need for a weekend trip
D) My Fiero gets about 30mpg
E) With all the modern technology we have now days the car should be lighter AND stronger than my Fiero
Just to be fair I do admit my Fiero is not stock

a) Your Fierro is fiberglass bodied with about 70% of the weight bias to the rear
b) How long did it take Pontiac to get a V-6 dropped in the Fierro with some descent horespower?

I lived with an early four banger Fierro for a few months because I thought it would a good project car. But technically the car was a piece of junk. Dumped it fast. Remember, it was conceived on a reversed front wheel drive chasis.

In its, and your defense, Pontiac finally got the car right with the later year GT V6 model, but by then the car had such a bad rep that public interest had waned, sales dropped, and it hit the chopping block.

Latter year Fierro GTs are rapidly becoming pretty sought after with car buffs. Lets hope Pontiac gets the Solstice right from the start and we don't have to go through 3 or 4 years of adjustments.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Fformula88 said:
The Solstice on the other hand would be new, reliable, and I would have full confidence to trust it to get to work on time or on a 2000 mile trip.
I guess its all in your mindset and your reasons for buying the Solstice/Sky. My daily driver is a 4 door Grand Prix, huge trunk pace, seats five comfortably. I am not planning to use my Solstice for anything other than pure enjoyment, and will continue to use my Grand Prix anytime I need to transport something larger than a duffle bag.

As far as the engine goes, my GP is only 200hp, and weighs in at 3400 lbs or so. It has plenty enough pick-up for me. (In fact I often get teased by my coworkers for my tendency to take off from traffic lights when the light turns green.) I figure the drop in hp will be compensated by the lower curbweight and the manual transmission, and still give me all the accelerating power I need.

Like I said in my previous post, I respect everyone's desire to get the car they want. I'm sure a lot of the extras people are hoping for will get incorporated in future model years, but probably not all (i.e. I don't see an increase in trunk space with a redesign of body, which would probably mess with the fluid looks of the car.)

For those willing to wait and see what happens, I'm crossing my fingers for you and hoping you get what you want in another year or two. I myself will hopefully get my EOP Solstice and be happy with the current model, compromises and all. (Nothing says I can't trade up later if a to-die-for version comes out in a few more years.)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Boy, I seem to have hit a hot spot. Very good indeed. I appreciate and respect all your opinions, and I do think there will be some sad sacks at 2:10 PMEST on the 15th. I just hope like hell that I am not one of them. I have owned a nice sports car since I was 16 (a very clean '53 MG-TD) and this just fits the mold of a first year model of what can become a great car. Keep that feedback aimed at GM. I will still try and get through for one of the first 1000. Hang in there, gang.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts