Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay you naysayer's out there who thought putting a V8 in the Solstice was going to be terrible on the weight balance, I here to say you where wrong! Spoke with Mallett Cars yesterday on the final product going to SEMA next week. The car is completely balanced and scaled with a perfect 50/50 weight balance with a 200 lb driver and half a tank of gas in the car! This is better than the factory settings making the V8 Solstice the perfect drivers car. Most factory advertised weight balance ratios are without driver and fluids in the car, and this setup is with driver and gas making it a real world 50/50 balance.

The cars total weight and other numbers will be release next week at the unveiling of the V8 Solstice. I can tell you that it weighs less than a 2006 C6 Corvette (maybe even less than the 2006 Z06 too). It sports a better hp to weight ratio than the C6 too! Given the balance and power numbers if should out handle a C6 Corvette as well. The car will be sporting 19"x9" wheels at the show with 265x35 tires.

I should get my first test drive sometime in November. Many reports to follow.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Too bad there's no salivating dog emoticon. That sounds almost too good to be true! If only I could find an extra 25 grand or so :lol:

Thanks for keeping us posted, by the way!

·
Registered
4 Posts
your a lucky one mine was made same date and i live 220 miles from the plant and i am still ,,,,, still,,,,, still waiting i guess i need to have mine delivered to west coast,,,,,,my vin is 1299

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Call me skeptical but can't see how 50-50 could be maintained after adding a 200-300 lb heavier engine...<scratching my head> :confused:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mceb said:
Call me skeptical but can't see how 50-50 could be maintained after adding a 200-300 lb heavier engine...<scratching my head> :confused:
I know it sounds hard to believed. When I spoke with Chuck he said very little cutting was required and the cars structure was not compromised by the changes. Remember, Mallett Cars are a master at preparing a car for racing and the Solstice was a great project from them. The weight is less 300 lbs added (exact numbers to be released next week). Once funny note, the PCM has been completely reprogrammed for the engine and when plugged into a diagnostic computer it reads "Corvette".

Footnote, the stock Solstice is nearly 50/50 balanced front to rear and not cornerweighted. What Mallett has done is balanced the car front to rear and corners to have a perfectly balanced car (driver and gas included). When I spoke to Chuck about the ride, he said it's more fun then his Corvette "Hammer" edition. The reduce weight over the Corvette makes it really exciting!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
TerpFan said:
The reduce weight over the Corvette makes it really exciting!
Exciting, or just plain scary??? :lol:

·
Registered
527 Posts
mceb said:
Are the LSx engines really 200-300 heavier? What with the aluminanium and all...

Ways to try to redistribute the weight: AC delete, move battery to rear (could even use bigger battery...), lighter wheels & tires on front, heavier wheels & tires on back, lighter brake calipers/rotors on front, aluminanium radiator (helps v8 cooling too), delete plastic bumper crush material, etc.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I have to agree with Mceb. You cannot just add 200+lbs to the front of a car that was at 50-50, and still end up at 50-50. There has to be something else going on. Either, changes to the car took off an equivalent amount of weight, or Mallett's procedure for weighing the car differs from Pontiacs (ie, having a 200 lb man in the dead center, putting half tank of gas in it differs from however GM tested the weight).

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Fformula88 said:
You cannot just add 200+lbs to the front of a car that was at 50-50, and still end up at 50-50. There has to be something else going on.
I think SkyCaptain came up with a pretty good list of items that could easily account for the weight re-distribution. Think about the rearend alone (I doubt the stock Solstice rearend would handle 400hp).

Can't wait for the pic's :cheers:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Other than the addition of the engine weight he also had to get headers reworked to fit the opening on both sides. One of the things he was really proud of is that both Corvertte Cats were installed making the car completely emission legal in all states. The exhaust is a Y pipe with a single outlet, giving it a stock look from the rear.

Cornerweighting was partially achieved using the double-adjustable Penske shocks at all corners.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Sounds like a sweet ride! I beleive the balance numbers. Guys that do other LS-1 swaps into Miata's 240 Z's etc... always end up with pretty good balance. That V8 just isn't very heavy, it can be placed very low in the chassis, and the fact that most of the weight is behind the front wheel line, leverage of the additional weight is minimized.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The Solstice was already a 52/48 weight distribution car with the i4 engine in there... It's why GM kept refering to it as "Nearly 50/50 weight distribution."

If Mallett really got 50/50 out of it then mad props to him.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
The overall weight is concievable. Can't find it right now, but on some of our discussions previous, I think we figured 200-300 additional lbs for the package - LS2 vs. current 2.4L Ecotec. We've had estimates of +100 to +175lbs for the engine alone, count on +50lbs for running gear and other mods.

So, working this out with a virtual pencil, starting with 2860 (or 2880, depending on content, and who weighed the car), 3100 lbs with a full fuel tank is not completely out of the question - remove 40 lbs for half a tank of fuel, and 3050 is on the low-side estimate.

Depending on how Mallett mounted the engine, if he got it far enough rearward and did a bit regarding the front packaging (at least that's what looks like needs to be moved around), and if he did any modification/bracketry additions to the rear of the car... maintaining a weight distribution below 54% is possible. Starting with a 52% 2880 lb car, and add 120 lbs to front and 30 lbs to rear for the engine addition, then remaining 50 lbs weight added equally (like brakes, exhaust increases, etc.)... Car only gains a percent and a half.

We already know that with the rearward seating position of cars like the Z4, Solstice, S2000, MX-5, the addition of a 200 lb driver can make as much as a 1% difference in weight distribution.

But, having the weight distribution of the Mallett at 50% fuel be BETTER than the current car at curb+1passenger? :skep:

At best, it is equal, more likely a percent or so worse.

Still, not bad at all, and would be a blast to drive.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
MAKsys said:
I think SkyCaptain came up with a pretty good list of items that could easily account for the weight re-distribution. Think about the rearend alone (I doubt the stock Solstice rearend would handle 400hp).

Can't wait for the pic's :cheers:
Until Mallett announces his specs, it is really just speculation as to what has been done. Don't get me wrong, it would be really cool.

That said, I think there is good reason to at least have some questioning of the claim at this point. It is a very optimistic claim based on what we know about the stock car, and the addition of an engine of considerably more weight.

I assume some people simply think I am trying to throw cold water. I am just trying to bring a devils advocate viewpoint to the claim. The car has not been seen yet. The specs are not out. Mallett certainly has an interest in selling it as still having a 50-50 weight distribution, and not a 56-44 (or other such unbalanced number). I just think there should be some critical thought on the claim, and not just a blind following to it. Just like we do with every other claim and rumor we see on the forum.

As for the CTS rear end, I think it will be ok. Mallett also does not list a whole new rear differential in his conversion, so I assume it will remain the same. Besides, that CTS rear diff seems to handle the LS2 in the CTS-V.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Numbers I've found suggest the Ecotec is 305lbs. In what state I'm not really sure. The LS1 is 490lbs "fully dressed" in manual version (auto is about 40lbs lighter because of the difference of flexplate vs (very heavy) flywheel).

That's 185lbs of difference, and I beleive that includes the weight of the cast iron manifolds on the LS1.

Unfortunately I don't know hte LS2's weight. It is a Gen IV engine (whereas the LS1 is a Gen III), but, external dimensions are the same and the bore on the LS2 is larger (I'm fairly certain, but don't hold me to that), which could mean a lower total weight. Especially if they carried the LS6's perforated bottom end over (which was done to increase revs by reducing air pumping resistance, but less material is still less weight).

Also, if Mallett put on a light flywheel, that's like 15-20lbs right there. Bringing it down to the point where a full tank of gas and a 200+lb driver just might balance it out.

Also, I don't know the weight of the Aisin 5-speed, but the T-56 is about 116lbs. Which, if heavier, could also help bring the balance back.

Either way, my WS6 is about 55/45 from the factory. And it's just fine. Anywhere between there and 50/50 is just icing. I can't believe people think such a conversion will ruin the balance of the car. Even more amazing when you consider the fact that the 427 Cobra is considred one of the best cars of all time. :shrug:

As for the C6 Z06 comparison - the Z06 is somewhere around 3150lbs IIRC (forget the exact number right now). The LS2 Solstice should be around 3100lbs. Fairly close, but still lighter. However, the Z06 has tires like 4 times as wide. lol But the Solstice is actually wider(!). :eek: Yet putting 19s on there will further handicap it's already smaller traction patch.

And the Z06 is a hard top fast back. The Solstice will run out of breath LONG before the Z06 will. (which is why the Daytona Cobra Coupe came out, because a 'vert is crappy at top end)

Edit - was typing at the same time as Solticeman. Looks like I was on the right track. :D

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Well if he is saying it's 50/50 WITH a driver and fuel in the back, then I can see it. You are counter-balancing the added engine weight with a driver and gas in the rear. So I could see how he could say this.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
stang said:
Well if he is saying it's 50/50 WITH a driver and fuel in the back...
Why would anyone care what the weight distribution was without a driver and a tank of gas?

The only balance it needs then is enough to keep from tipping over :glol:

:jester:

·
Registered
753 Posts
TerpFan said:
Okay you naysayer's out there who thought putting a V8 in the Solstice was going to be terrible on the weight balance, I here to say you where wrong! Spoke with Mallett Cars yesterday on the final product going to SEMA next week. The car is completely balanced and scaled with a perfect 50/50 weight balance with a 200 lb driver and half a tank of gas in the car! This is better than the factory settings making the V8 Solstice the perfect drivers car. Most factory advertised weight balance ratios are without driver and fluids in the car, and this setup is with driver and gas making it a real world 50/50 balance.

The cars total weight and other numbers will be release next week at the unveiling of the V8 Solstice. I can tell you that it weighs less than a 2006 C6 Corvette (maybe even less than the 2006 Z06 too). It sports a better hp to weight ratio than the C6 too! Given the balance and power numbers if should out handle a C6 Corvette as well. The car will be sporting 19"x9" wheels at the show with 265x35 tires.

I should get my first test drive sometime in November. Many reports to follow.
sounds like a cobra for the 21st century. i'm glad your doing it- can't wait to hear more about it

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
SkyCaptain said:
Are the LSx engines really 200-300 heavier? What with the aluminanium and all...

Ways to try to redistribute the weight: AC delete, move battery to rear (could even use bigger battery...), lighter wheels & tires on front, heavier wheels & tires on back, lighter brake calipers/rotors on front, aluminanium radiator (helps v8 cooling too), delete plastic bumper crush material, etc.

Drag chute? :lol:

Or you could let my wife pack the trunk!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts