Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got around to installing my werks Hi-Flow Cat. With the new werks cat / DP sitting properly and flush mounted to the turbo, the catalytic converter bracket/hanger is nowhere near close to lining up with the holes (see picture). Conversely if I line it up with the hanger/bracket it won't even line up with the turbo studs. There's seems to be too much of a gap to just bend the hanger brackets for the cat. Am I supposed to use the factory cat hanger / bracket? Am I doing something totally wrong? I emailed performance auto werks, and I'll give them a call during the week, thought I'd post here too if anyone can offer some help.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Us non-turbo guys (neutered?) are of little help here. My two cents is that on my N/A the factory cat fit like poo - was a biotch to get off. The aftermarket hi-flow fit great!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I can't see the pic, but I had a little trouble with mine due to a coolant line -
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f63/problems-installing-autowerks-hfc-downpipe-72823/

If I could see the pic I might be of more help; I just removed and reinstalled mine yesterday because I was not liberal enough the the high temp copper RTV. This time I used PLENTY. You are supposed to use the factory hanger/bracket; if not, the catback may not line up properly.

Hope that helps a bit. Werks was quick to assist me; I'm sure they'll do the same for you.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hmm not to sure. Mine went on like a charm. Dave will get you fixed up.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I can't see the pic, but I had a little trouble with mine due to a coolant line -
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f63/problems-installing-autowerks-hfc-downpipe-72823/

If I could see the pic I might be of more help; I just removed and reinstalled mine yesterday because I was not liberal enough the the high temp copper RTV. This time I used PLENTY. You are supposed to use the factory hanger/bracket; if not, the catback may not line up properly.

Hope that helps a bit. Werks was quick to assist me; I'm sure they'll do the same for you.
I think I actually commented on your original thread with instructions I had gathered. I had a back injury last year that kept me from being able to install the part. I'm finally getting around to doing the install now. Word of advice, don't herniate a disc multiple times.

I know the coolant line you speak of, and I clear that no problem. Here is a direct link to anyone who may be having issues with the embedded picture.

Also, did you apply the copper RTV to both gasket surfaces (turbo/cat and cat/exhaust)?

link to picture

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just looked at those interactions again yesterday for the torque specs - thanks!

Ok; now I can see the pic. Yeah - that really isn't close - and its a PITA to work under there. Mine did not have that problem. I used the copper RTV on only the turbo/cat surfaces - the donut gasket on the bottom of the downpipe sealed fine with the cutback. I hope you can get it wrapped up soon!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
werks got back to me and said to remove the bracket. I'll give it a shot and see if I run into any issues.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After some pondering. What I think I'm going to try is to drill out larger bolt holes/slots for the hanger bracket. That way I can move it to allow the ears to slot up to the new cat.

·
Registered
61 Posts
werks got back to me and said to remove the bracket. I'll give it a shot and see if I run into any issues.
What a terrible answer. From your pics, the CAT delete pipe is no where close to where it should be. Someone must have dropped the jig at werks. Whatever you do, the bracket IS important. It would be really hard on the turbo assembly to have that kind of weight cantilevered off of the back with no support. I got my pipe from Werks too and it fit like a glove! Something is wrong.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Before you do anything else, make sure they mailed you the 2.0 high flow cat and not the 2.4!!! From that picture posted, it looks like to me they sent you the wrong one.

Not using the hanger is a VERY BAD idea. Ask me how I know. I let a local machanic install one for me a few years agao and he told me that the hanger wasn't needed. Well guess what, IT IS! A few months later the new headers I had installed on the 2.4 had started to crack because they had no support due to the lack of the missing hanger support bracket. So make sure you use it no matter which engine you have. I now own a 2.0 and can tell you that both cars need the bracket for support because the engine torques and vibrates so much between shifting. I can't believe they told you to just remove it. Again check and make sure they sent you the correct one for your car. I'm pretty sure they sell both 2.0 and 2.4 and they could have mailed you the wrong one.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Yeah I wasn't thrilled with that answer either. It seems the bracket is an integral part of support for the cat and the exhaust. But if I had my conspiracy hat on, there was a mix up when I ordered the part. They thought it wasn't paid for yet. When I called in a week or so, they realized the mistake and that it was paid for and put a rush on the order to have it built and shipped ASAP. So I guess it's possible I got the wrong part. How could I tell? Is there any way to identify a difference between the 2.4 and 2.0 part?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Dave is with DDM Works or SOLO Performance not Auto Werks Performance.
Thee is a Dave at performance as well. Plus you cannot fit a 2.4 cat on the 2.0 car.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, after some bending and manipulating of the hanger bracket, I'm about 92% fitted. Does any one know/remember if the bolts I have circled in the picture (not my car. I wish my Cat fit that nice ;) ) had accompanying nuts? My brother seems to think that the ears from the bracket were lined up with the holes on the factory cat, but the bolts were just threaded in the bracket without any nuts on the end. At any rate, I think I'm going to get a set of nuts just to help snug things up.

Direct link to picture

·
Registered
69 Posts
No nut on mine - it threads directly into the bracket. Note I purchased slightly longer bolts for cutback/dowpipe connection - it made fitting it all back together easier the second time around.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I finally got my new hi flow cat installed bracket and all. For those of you that had to reapply the RTV gasket between the turbo and cat, what issues were you having that prompted you to redo the gasket?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had soot on the inside of the turbo heat shield, so I knew it was leaking. It didn't smell or throw any codes, I just wanted to it to be on there properly.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks I'll have to check my heat shield after this weekend. When I first turned the engine over i got some smoke from around the turbo, I just attributed that to the gratuitous amounts of the penetrating fluid that got sprayed to get the bolts off. It seemed to stop after awhile. I was pretty liberal with the RTV silicone. I hope I don't need to ever take that cat off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts