·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
275 Posts
I found it interesting that the tester thought the tires were handicapping the
ability of the car and chassis in their handling behavior. The zero 60 times were in line with the other roadtests I've seen, so their 1/4 mile time of 15.8
should be considered reasonably accurate. The low 14's is rather fast. A
250HP turboed powerplant should get it around 14 would be my guess. Chrysler years ago had a chart with only two things (as I recall) - the weight of the car and its horsepower and would estimate 1/4 mile times. This was for
pushrod engines.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found a lot of this info to be questionable as well. Road and Track is a good Mag, but I simply think they were wrong on the Sol. I have been told that the Solstice is well capable of running a quarter mile in the High 13 to low 14 range. As for top speed I do not know yet. I do know that our little cars have more compression and are the same speed in the slalom as the Nissan 350z roadster, at 2/3 the price. You just can't beat that.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
jerzkid said:
I have been told that the Solstice is well capable of running a quarter mile in the High 13 to low 14 range.

Stop listening to that person. ;)

·
5,600 Posts
gizmo2004 said:
Well, as usual, the "top speed" is wrong. 120 mph? I think not!

Someone has already been to 132 mph.

Good post, jerzkid, thanks.

Don't count on that "132 mph" speed. That is an indicated 132 mph. The speedometer could easily be off 10%, giving a tru 119 mph. A simple run with a GPS will tell the actual speed.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
jimbo said:
Don't count on that "132 mph" speed. That is an indicated 132 mph. The speedometer could easily be off 10%, giving a tru 119 mph. A simple run with a GPS will tell the actual speed.
You really think the indicated speed would be that much off from the true speed? That sounds like bad engineering.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Fortimir said:
You really think the indicated speed would be that much off from the true speed? That sounds like bad engineering.
Not at all uncommon for speedometers to be that far off. Even for premium makes such as BMW and Mercedes.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yeah,, in motor trend the car went 0-60 in 6.7 and ran the 1320 in [email protected] I bealive. Anyway, I couldn't see the speedo being off by that much that just sounds wrong, but who knows, maybe it's possible. As for the turbo charged version I would expect high 13's.. The tires on the solstice (I bealive but could be wrong) are only rated at 120mph like the cop cars, that maybe why they listed that top speed.

jay

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
LS2 Solstice said:
Yeah,, in motor trend the car went 0-60 in 6.7 and ran the 1320 in [email protected] I bealive. Anyway, I couldn't see the speedo being off by that much that just sounds wrong, but who knows, maybe it's possible. As for the turbo charged version I would expect high 13's.. The tires on the solstice (I bealive but could be wrong) are only rated at 120mph like the cop cars, that maybe why they listed that top speed.

jay

120mph! :eek: That's one way to go to jail. :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
IIRC the new Motortrend Test Specs say the Solstice is electronically (ECU)limited at 123 MPH.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Breeze said:
Not at all uncommon for speedometers to be that far off. Even for premium makes such as BMW and Mercedes.
From what I remember reading many years ago, it is a way the OEMs keep the actual speeds down. I think there was an issue with a ticket and the speedo being under the actual speed. Now the OEMs engineer an overage in thier speedos. Usually 10% or under. The people in the know usually say something like "I was going an indicated XXX" instead of the actual number read off the speedo.

If you ever go by one of those road side radar speed indicators, try going say, an indicated 40 or 45 mph and see what the reading is. Of course, those aren't known for being 100% either as the police usually never calibrate the things.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Solstice Lover said:
If you ever go by one of those road side radar speed indicators, try going say, an indicated 40 or 45 mph and see what the reading is.
Better yet, get up to max speed before you drive by one and see if it says 120 or 132. :lol:

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
Solstice Lover said:
From what I remember reading many years ago, it is a way the OEMs keep the actual speeds down. I think there was an issue with a ticket and the speedo being under the actual speed. Now the OEMs engineer an overage in thier speedos. Usually 10% or under. The people in the know usually say something like "I was going an indicated XXX" instead of the actual number read off the speedo.

If you ever go by one of those road side radar speed indicators, try going say, an indicated 40 or 45 mph and see what the reading is. Of course, those aren't known for being 100% either as the police usually never calibrate the things.

That is all the reason to have a friendly cop live across the street, who just happens to be the traffic investigator for our fair city. :) We can go out and play with his radar while he is on shift. Oh, I guess I have to get my car too. :(

·
Registered
225 Posts
LS2 Solstice said:
The tires on the solstice (I bealive but could be wrong) are only rated at 120mph like the cop cars, that maybe why they listed that top speed.

actually the tires on the solstice are rated for 149, and the local cop car around here is also running RS-A's so 149 for the fuzz too.

i had the solstice up to 120 and it was definatly running out of steam. i wish i would have known 120 might have been the cut off i would have tried to push a few more MPH. another time i was running close to 120 in 4th and shifted into 5th, the car actually lost speed in 5th. i know speedo's are generally off, but how about the RPM. if you look at your tach when you are running top speed, you should be able to deduce your speed.

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
OBXSOL said:
another time i was running close to 120 in 4th and shifted into 5th, the car actually lost speed in 5th. i know speedo's are generally off, but how about the RPM. if you look at your tach when you are running top speed, you should be able to deduce your speed.
Would losing RPM from 4th to 5th be because 5th is less than 1 to 1 ratio?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,592 Posts
gizmo2004 said:
Would losing RPM from 4th to 5th be because 5th is less than 1 to 1 ratio?
Short answer: Yes

Long answer: At top speed in 4th, when you shift into 5th, the RPM drops to a range where there is insufficient horsepower and torque to maintain the current speed, and so the actual speed (mph) will drop. In other words, there is a certain amount of power needed to offset the wind resistance, drag, and mechanical losses associated with that speed. At top speed, the power is there in 4th, but not in 5th.

·
Registered
256 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts