Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just looking for some inpu here...I have an 07 GXP with trifecta...I was wondering if someone could list in order additional upgrades that have the most performance gains...I saw one of the sponsors list tune first, then intercooler second, but I thought a lot of people were saying the stock one is built very well? ...so basically what upgrades would increase HP and TQ the most? (looking at CAI, Exhaust, (I don't know the difference between free flow cat and careless down pipe) but was looking at solos free flow, anything else I'm missing?

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
Hey guys, just looking for some inpu here...I have an 07 GXP with trifecta...I was wondering if someone could list in order additional upgrades that have the most performance gains...I saw one of the sponsors list tune first, then intercooler second, but I thought a lot of people were saying the stock one is built very well? ...so basically what upgrades would increase HP and TQ the most? (looking at CAI, Exhaust, (I don't know the difference between free flow cat and careless down pipe) but was looking at solos free flow, anything else I'm missing?
Are you planning on staying with the stock turbo or upgrading it along the way also?

An exhaust and high flow cat are going to be good options to go with for sure. I would personally stay away from a catless downpipe, but would go with the high flow cat down pipe. I personally do not like the sound of the exhaust without a cat on the 2.0L cars and on the stock turbo do not see enough of a difference between no cat and a high flow cat to warrant the sound.

An intercooler is a good addition if you are going to be doing more than short bursts with the car. As you go longer on full throttle pulls the stock intercooler continues to get hotter and hotter, which results in the ECM pulling more and more timing, reducing power.

Intakes are a little bit of a mixed bag. Some of the intakes out there sold for the car, will change the fuel trims on the car extensively and can cause the car to run poorly or even lose power. I would only recommend the GMPP or K&N intake for the 2.0L, those are the only 2 intakes we have seen that keep the fuel trims in line with the stock intake without a retune. Most everyone says and agrees that an intake will not increase the peak horsepower very much or at all, however we have seen increases in power in the upper RPM ranges (5500-7000RPM) that would warrant installing the intake.

Charge tubes are nice to install for looks, but we have seen no noticeable and repeatable increase in power with those.

You already have the tune which is the biggest bang for the buck, and after installing some of the other upgrades, I would recommend sending a log to Trifecta to make sure no other tweaks are needed to the tune.

You also may want to consider making some changes to the brakes and suspension now that you are going faster also.

Hope that helps,
Dave

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
JesseB,
Part of this will answer your questions and part of it veers off in the handling direction....
My performance/ suspension mods are as follows:
DDM LNF pipes and clamps ( looks amazing )
DDM LV brace, probeam and backbone

GMPP tune and CAI

Solo high flow cat and GXP Mach exhaust.

I am 100% satisfied with all of the above. My car is noticeably faster, handles better and for me she sounds awesome.

I think you are in Pennsylvania? If I were you I would order from DDM the three suspension upgrades and have them shipped to Solo in Buffalo. Then drive over and get them to install along with a Solo exhaust and Hi Flow Cat. You can't go wrong with DDM or Solo!!!:thumbs:

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both! I was actually thinking along those lines...solo stret race, solo cat (not sure if that combo is going to be to loud?) , K&N CAI, Proveam, and backbone....everyone says how much they really enjoy the Proveam and backbone...can u explain a little what it does? I've head it kinda makes te car more responsive and more in tune with the driver

·
Registered
612 Posts
Essentially, the backbone keeps the car square and from twisting while the probeam enhances stability in cornering. I have the extreme BB and glad I do, not sure there's any appreciable gain in the probean for a daily driver though. Others that have it will probably chime in on that note.

Additionally, there no appreciable gain in the CAI, just more noise.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, good point, I forgot to
Mention I probably won't be racing anytime and dont really speed for extended periods of time, just like to get on it every now and then...(40-80) ...(55-100) things like that :) ...and I've heard people say the CAI increases the "turbo noise" speaking not of the BOV, but of the direct injection sound (I may be way off here) but would the exhaust kinda drown this out? Cause I really would like to hear the BOV more, for some reason I really like that sound, maybe cause of all the Need For Speed games, hahaa

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yea, good point, I forgot to mention I probably won't be racing anytime and dont really speed for extended periods of time, just like to get on it every now and then...(40-80) ...(55-100) things like that :) ...and I've heard people say the CAI increases the "turbo noise" speaking not of the BOV, but of the direct injection sound (I may be way off here) but would the exhaust kinda drown this out? Cause I really would like to hear the BOV more, for some reason I really like that sound, maybe cause of all the Need For Speed games, hahaa
I picked up the X-BB because my driveway is on an incline and before I installed it, I could hear the Sky creak and groan as I pulled in and out. Now, however, not a bit of noise and I can actually back out diagonally and have a rear tire several inches off the ground... that thing is stout! It just makes the Sky feel so much more solid, like one solid frame. DDM did real good with that one! :thumbs:

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Charge tubes are nice to install for looks, but we have seen no noticeable and repeatable increase in power with those.
I agree with Dave - but - the stock tubes are really poorly built with crimped tubing that just goes against the grain of anyone that builds modified cars. DDM makes one of the best sets of better looking tubes, and even if they won't have any impact on performance, they are a very nice item to add indeed.

The Probeam and Backbone almost eliminate a rather unsettling 'uncertainty' in mid corner that chassis flexibility causes. It probably won't be a big deal for 90% of owners, but if you slalom or are an aggressive (but hopefully safe) street driver, I'd consider them to be essential.

If you are one of that sort of driver, I'd also consider some better front brake pads, but try the stock ones out and if you don't see any shortcoming with them then you probably don't need better ones.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey dave, have another question for ya...say down the road Id want the GT2871 upgrade...it would still be bolt on & compatable even if I had a CAI, exhaust, solo cat...etc, is that right? and even with those mods already on it, that upgrade would still be a big performance boost, correct?

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Hey dave, have another question for ya...say down the road Id want the GT2871 upgrade...it would still be bolt on & compatable even if I had a CAI, exhaust, solo cat...etc, is that right? and even with those mods already on it, that upgrade would still be a big performance boost, correct?
Ditto for me Dave. I am thinking about this for next year also. I am done moding for this year!:willy::willy::lol:

·
Registered
257 Posts
...and I've heard people say the CAI increases the "turbo noise" speaking not of the BOV, but of the direct injection sound (I may be way off here) but would the exhaust kinda drown this out? Cause I really would like to hear the BOV more, for some reason I really like that sound, maybe cause of all the Need For Speed games, hahaa
If you're looking for more noise, check around the forum you will find some info on the stock air box mod. Basically you are cutting the front portion of the air box off that baffles the intake noise. I did this and I really like the sound it emits.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so you can hear it "breathe" in and is the BOV a bit louder? ...and since i plan on a CAI sometime, hurting the stock air box wouldnt matter since it replaces it anyway...right?

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Just buy either the GMPP CAI or the K&N and you'll have all the noise you'd want without butchering the stock intake.

·
Registered
257 Posts
An aftermarket intake would replace the stock intake/box, but I mentioned this as an alternative to getting an aftermarket intake. I think it sounds great and it is easy to hear over my Magnaflow exhaust. In the spring I am installing a high flow cat and getting a tune as well.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Everyone gave some excellent advice, I just want to say the stock intercooler is a piece of junk, it is not a matter of if it will blow up but when, especially if you have a tune with some decent boost in the 25 psi range. Don't forget the simple stuff either, if you haven't replaced the hose clamps with T-Bolt clamps you need to and it's cheap. Dejon Powerhouse and DDM Works bot have the clamps and very nice intercooler upgrades.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you! Currently my tune is 23 PSI ...I have not changed the clamps, is this something someone (me) with very little mechanical knowledge would be able to do?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Thank you! Currently my tune is 23 PSI ...I have not changed the clamps, is this something someone (me) with very little mechanical knowledge would be able to do?
Yes, the only real PITA clamp is the clamp that connects the post IC hose to the throttle body, all others are easy peasy; maybe an hour total time.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I just want to say the stock intercooler is a piece of junk, it is not a matter of if it will blow up but when, especially if you have a tune with some decent boost in the 25 psi range.
Agreed, my car is on it's 3rd intercooler (covered under warranty) but once this one fails I am out of warranty and will upgrade. BTW I have the GMPP but I only ever show 18-19psi occasionally blipping to 20psi

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, I will look into the intercooler for sure...is the main problem extended high boost, or is it just a hit and miss roulette type with the stock intercooler? Currently I only go aggressive in spurts, partly because I know some of the stock parts may not like extended 23psi...so at least I'd feel safer after it's upgraded...wow this modding thing is gonna get
Dangerous :devil:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts