Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
First I've heard of it, most forum users first focus on exhaust or significant power enhancements (turbo/supercharger).

Best bet is to contact forum vendors state your goals and let them help you decide the path (and vendor) you want to work with.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Me. too. Solenoid actuator valve quit working right after install, but I was not aware that was the problem. So...after two years living with the bad actuator before THIS FORUM helped straighten me out, I am finally enjoying the power boost.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
The NA ECM does NOT have a learn down feature, this is only for the 2.0 GXP.
If all you want is a little more than the 170 BHP then this type of tune is fine.
You can also enhance it with long tube headers etc.
However as other are pointing out, if your goal is a lot of more power then a supercharger or Turbo is the only way to enhance the 2.4

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I pretty much made up my mind that I'm gonna wait and spring for a turbo and dual exhaust. However, that's because I drove a GXP as a loaner as my NA was being delivered and then when I jumped in mine and hit the gas, I was greatly disappointed. a good tune and dual exhaust should help quite a bit and I'm interested in hearing the results in whatever you decide. I'm looking at about 4300 to do mine so if you get a nice improvement for under a grand, I'd like to know.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
The most you can get for under a grand once you do the tune and put long tube header and a free flow cat is about 200 BHP.
To get more out of a NA motor with no force induction would require a lot more than a grand.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Agree with Latin on this. The stock NA is rated at 177HP (143 WHP). The couple hundred bucks you'll put into a tune takes you up 15HP. $900 Headers may get you 15HP more, $300 CAT maybe another 10HP.

To get to GXP levels, you have to force charge - either Turbo or SC. I still believe the absolute best bang for an NA is DDM's stage 2 setup. You pay quite a bit more to go to stage 3, with headers, clutches, etc. But power is addictive - isn't it.

I always looked at my purchases as stepping stones. The Werks tune was a start, then SOLO exhaust, then a CAT, then DDM stage 2, etc. I won't be finished modding ever, as it's the thing to do with this little beast.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Yeah, I agree, once you do all the available mods shy of FI, you still will not have that push you back in your seat torque that you will get from a Turbo or SC. for me, I'm always wanting more so instead of getting a tune and header and duals now, I'd rather wait and get a DDM II or the Hahn turbo for 3100, duals and be done with it. I've answered lots of newbie Vette owners asking how to soup up their stock 350 and it's better to max it out the first time than adding to it over and over and over again. But, it's all about what you want and what you can afford.

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
If you are lucky, you might be able to find someone selling a GXP for a good price and be able to sell your NA with a differential less than the cost of the upgrades you contemplate (remembering King-Oka's statement that thge first thousand is just a drop in the bucket).

Of course then you'd probably want to start modding the GXP, and that is a road just as long and expensive as doing it to the NA, perhaps more.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
well, for me, that won't work as I have only made 1 payment on mine so I think I'll stick with mine for a while. not sure how long Dave has had his so that might work for him. Plus I like the satisfaction of doing it myself and this will be my first ever FI mod and I'm very interested and learning more about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for your advise. I just bought my Sol about a month ago. The power on the car is decent. I don't race the car or challenge people at stoplights. I was just hoping to reduce that 'flat' feeling from when you first stomp on the pedal. From talking to Autowerks, they said that the tune takes out the 'Granny controls' so you get a little better throttle response. for $200, I'll try it!

Thanks!
Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One last thing, Autowerks and DDMworks are both offering the tune for $200. Just need to decide which vender to go with. Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Trifecta has a good tune too. Thiers are $300 plus a refundable $200 for the cable. All will basically require the use of 91 octane or better and help with the sluggish low RPM accelleration or granny control as they say. I was highly considering getting a tune now but decided to wait for my check to come in and then go for the gusto!!

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Please let's make sure we do not confuse the 2.4 tune and the 2.0 tune.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I checked out Westers. They have a graft that shows a nice 5-8 hp bump between 2500 and 4250 rpms. Also shows a really nice torque boost way down low. This is actually where I'm looking for a little more kick.

Westers does the tune for $300. Autowerks and DDMworks are $200. Given that there is really not a lot of room for improvements on the NA, I'm wondering how different the tunes could really be???

·
Registered
260 Posts
the Werks tune give you what you " want " they will alter the Redline, and they will also send you a tune according to what "upgrades" you have. I believe trifecta is just a base layout. I believe ddm will also send a tune according to what " upgrades" you have on the car, but won't alter the rev limit.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
I checked out trifecta and they will ask you to data-log, send in the file (e-mail), tune according to your numbers (which reflects any mods) and send you back the data file to download and test. Looks like they help you make sure it's right before you send the data unit back for credit.

I didn't pull the trigger on the tune because I wanted to get things squared away with my catalytic converter beforehand. Now I just have to sneak it into the budget sometime this summer, but I think it's going to happen.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts