Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a pretty sedate street driver, generally ignoring the idiocies of others (perhaps due to having perpetrated my share in the past), but once in awhile I do get annoyed. I was driving on a straight 4 lane road with stop lights today and some young twit (presumably a fairly well heeled one given pricing) was darting in and out of traffic, scaring the old ladies and generally hooning about in a 2019 M440i, which is a turbo straight 6 with four wheel drive. We came to a stop at a light side by side and I'm afraid I allowed my inner child to take over and when he booted it off the line when the light changed, I did the same. If I hadn't handily humbled his car, I wouldn't be posting this, but I did (my GXP is a larger turbo 375 bhp and his car has 388 bhp I later found - but it also weighs just over 4000 lbs. - poor choice for street light drag racing.

Sadly, I am almost certain that the kid won't have a clue what the heck that car that beat him was, but OTOH it is nice to be driving a sleeper even if you almost never use the full performance capabilities.

I am now good for another 6 months of complacency. Rather nice that the Michelin PSS tires never let out a squeal - the car just went!

Ironic thing is that there are lots of hefty cars (Panamera 4S for example) that weight more than two tons but produce both massive torque and impressive acceleration.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't dislike BMWs, I own one after all, but the reputation of their drivers rivals that of Corvettes. What's the difference between a porcupine and a BMW (or Corvette)? On the BMW, all the pricks are on the inside. No offence meant to any Corvette owners here.

·
Premium Member
10,427 Posts
None taken, but is really about the maturity of the driver and not necessarily the marquis of the car.

Reactions: joybill44

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I do know that. It is just that some cars attract people that are trying for an ego boost. I have several Corvette owning friends but no Viper owners but one and the model seem to particularly attract people looking for instant supply of some character quality they are short on. My Viper owning friend actually agrees with that. Spend a little time reading on their forums - how the Corvette drivers turn green when the Viper.

See - we are pure of heart - no one buys a Kappa to fill in some missing character attribute, they buy them because they enjoy the cars!

·
Super Moderator
7,301 Posts
See - we are pure of heart - no one buys a Kappa to fill in some missing character attribute, they buy them because they enjoy the cars!
I thought it was because we are unusual.

My BMW-driving friends compare Porsches to porcupines.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought it was because we are unusual.

My BMW-driving friends compare Porsches to porcupines.
We are indeed unusual.

There are some nose-in-the-air types in some car groups. As I am primarily a British sports car guy, I can advise that the Aston owners guild are by and large a bunch of toffee nosed dicks. They always booked a hotel apart from everyone else when I was racing down at Monterey, so they wouldn't have to associate with the lesser groups.

Oddly enough, the Rolls Royce guys were a bunch of sociable people that just enjoyed talking about their cars (modern Bentley owners are a different breed). Lines like that aren't rigid - there are lots of nice guys with all sorts of cars. And yes, I had heard that joke also about Porsche owners.

The drivers of old 356 Porsches were always a bit exclusionary - here is a T shirt I had made fo when I was walking through the Porker pits - they used to get quite annoyed when I beat them. Wish I had bought a few back in those days. I was talking to another car buddy this week, which has had a rusty old 356 project for 20 years. Said he'd paid $4000 for it and just turned down $110,000 for the hulk which someone wanted to restore.

I guess I just don't tolerate attitude in car owners well. I just enjoy the cars and working on them and talking about them, not basing my self esteem on them (a good thing, given some of the cars I've owned). I think I enjoy the Kappa groups because they come from a wide variety of backgrounds.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I don't dislike BMWs, I own one after all, but the reputation of their drivers rivals that of Corvettes. What's the difference between a porcupine and a BMW (or Corvette)? On the BMW, all the pricks are on the inside. No offence meant to any Corvette owners here.

That there is funny,I don't what anybody says ! ( Quote from the great philosopher, "Larry the Cable Guy" !)

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, the BMW kid was very hard on it and didn't give up until I continued to pull away topping 3rd gear. I had no idea at all what sort of BMW it was or what performance it had until I later looked it up. But the result makes sense - the extra 1000 lbs. of weight are hard to overcome.

Could quite possibly be a son out screwing around with Dad's car, although where I live there is no shortage of judgement lacking youths with very expensive cars. I snapped a photo of one some years ago - a Lamborghini Gallardo with an 'N' (novice driver) on the back. It was crunched into another car, no doubt due to a bout of youthful over-exuberance.

We had a classic one here a few years ago, The Whistler mountain ski area is a 90 minute drive north from Vancouver. I was living in a small bedroom community part way up the road, and the highway narrowed to one lane where it went through the village, with concrete on either side like a chute. Two kids, one in a 911 and one in something else I don't recall had a little grudge match with both trying to get ahead and neither succeeding - result was two cars that ground the outside edges off them as they both tried to occupy a single lane at once, bouncing back and forth off the walls and each other. I guess only modern car safety provisions prevented it from being a Darwinian moment - eliminating one or both from the gene pool. All they did was write of a couple of cars worth a collective few hundred K.

Not so long ago we had a guy in his Ferrari 458 nailed for doing 210 kph (130 mph) in a 60 kph (40 mph) zone on a major bridge at night. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Love it!! Every once in a while, our child does still come out, no matter our age. I've watched my father smile from the rear seat as I sit him and my mother back in their seats in my Scat. And there's nothing better then watching that smirk as my mother screams and yells that I'm going to get a ticket. (dad is after all 72)

Here in Detroit, it's also Mustang owners.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here in Detroit, it's also Mustang owners.
Here too, and Camaros as well, but in both cases it is the newer ones. We have a lot of vintage examples of each and the owners of those seem to be just regular old car hobbyists.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Funny, I had a similar experience with some kid in a BMW last week - I could not tell which model it was, just that it had custom wheels as he whipped in an out of traffic. Once I pulled up beside him at the light, I noticed it was "only" a 330 sedan. It could have been any M car in the BMW lineup and it would not have mattered since i was in my Tesla Model Y. Just for fun, I let him goose it and then obliterated him to a safe 60 mph or so. Of course, even after falling several car lengths back in a few short seconds, he whooshed past as I moved into the turn lane at the next light. It may be years before I ever do that again, but it was too easy to pass up. Of course, my Sol will embarrass a lot of really high end cars, but it requires a lot of noise and controlling wheel-spin in every gear and power shifting, and is just a lot of rigamarole that is usually not worth the trouble. I'm sure a pro driver with the right tires on the right track could make some crazy numbers, but I drive it pretty easily most of the time.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One of my favorite recollections is when I saw one of the early Tesla roadsters (the ones based on a Lotus) pull up at a stop light with a young blonde girl driving. A guy pulled up beside her in a late model Corvette and did the manly man vroom vroom bit, and when the light changed he booted it and of course laid much rubber, while she simply floored it and (silently) left him for dead, no squeal of tires or anything. Loved it.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
I'm always fighting with Subarus... :cool:

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Speaking of BMW's I was able get a great deal on a mildly used 2020 Supra and I have to say I love it. Sign that I'm getting old -- I had an aftermarket exhaust put on and am going to swap it to a different unit as it is just too loud. No racing that one yet, but in typical turbo form, a bigger compressor wheel, downpipe and tune added 175 whp on 91 octane.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My Z4M coupe is one car I have left pretty much stock as the engine is so crisp as it is (and I am chicken to add a blower to an engine with 11.5 compression). The new ones are like the GXP - hugely tunable. Wonder why the buyer got rid of it so soon?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts