Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Don't know anything about that one, but i am using Sylvania Silverstar Ultras in my sol now and I would definitely recommend them

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
The thing about brighter headlights that I don't get, is the fact that at a certain point you are shining light too far ahead and blinding other motorists. Those may very well be "100% brighter" but isn't that at the detriment of the vision of other people passing by you? I can't stand trucks and SUVs with HID bulbs; especially ones that are lifted. Those folks don't adjust their angles accordingly and blind the crap out of people like me in my low sports car.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I would agree that the Silverstars are good. However, the increased brightness also contributes to decreased lifespan in my experience. I had Silverstars and other high end bulb replacements like Luminics, MTEC, and Nokya and most of them only lasted around 1 - 1.5 years; some as little as 6 months. So, at $40 - $60 a set I decided it was getting too expensive to replace bulbs. I bought a 6000k HID kit this past holiday season which have a 5 year warranty from a reputable HID vendor for $150 (not some cheap Ebay garbage). Mind you, I have a Sky and we have projector lenses so I won't be blinding any other drivers. I love the light output and color.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
One of my very first discussions here on this board was for headlights. Save yourself time and money and go with the Sylvania ZXE bulbs. Especially if your looking for a "whiter" bulb that isn't an HID. I've spent over $200 on lights and the ZXE's are by far the best bang and color for the buck. HIDs don't work in our cars.... You WILL NOT get the concentrated light out of them that is necessary for driving in the dark...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of my very first discussions here on this board was for headlights. Save yourself time and money and go with the Sylvania ZXE bulbs. Especially if your looking for a "whiter" bulb that isn't an HID. I've spent over $200 on lights and the ZXE's are by far the best bang and color for the buck. HIDs don't work in our cars.... You WILL NOT get the concentrated light out of them that is necessary for driving in the dark...
is there an upgrade bulb for the fogs that can match those ZXEs?

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Those are probably Ok but I haven't heard of anyone using them. I can vouch for the silverlights being extremely brighter than stock and the Sylvania ZXE bulbs are awesome. that's what I have. For the fogs, yes, they have the same thing in H11 or 898. I really like the ZXE bulbs though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those are probably Ok but I haven't heard of anyone using them. I can vouch for the silverlights being extremely brighter than stock and the Sylvania ZXE bulbs are awesome. that's what I have. For the fogs, yes, they have the same thing in H11 or 898. I really like the ZXE bulbs though.
Hmm interesting. How is the lifespan of those ZXEs?

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
ANY "brighter than stock" bulbs will have a shorter (often MUCH shorter) lifespan than stock. They burn the filament much hotter to get more light (AKA Live hard, die young). Sylvania actually announce that fact on some of their packaging. Even within a brand and model, bulb life is a crapshoot too. Some last longer than others.

See the bottom row in the table here. See how the standard has four 'bars' for life, while the ultra has only one bar:

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Here's some reading with links in the reading:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/headlights-whos-got-what-78313/

This was my Oracle light...the ZXe's are very close.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/headlights-projection-lights-bixonon-motor-headlight-74810/index2.html

I don't have pics of my ZXe's, but they are very similar to the Oracles in color. I used LEDs in my foglights right now as my driving at night has really gone down. So I no longer need the amount of light that I once needed....especially with the ZXe's. I am going to look into putting the H11 in my foglights now as I'm VERY anal about color match...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts