Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
There better be; I'm going later today. There was one in Harrisburg last weekend, so I assume that there will be one in Philly.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Hey all, just got back from Philly. Not much new in the information department but here's my report and some random thoughts...

First off they had the grey Solstice with the all black interior (looks more dark grey to me). It was the older show car floating around a while ago, not the more production ready ones with seat belts, XM antenna etc. I was a little disappointed because I was hoping for the black Sol but that must be headed for Chicago show maybe.

It was an unmanned display, much smaller and lower then when I saw it last year in NYC. The display was so small you could reach out and touch the Sol but could not get any closer. There was a rep floating around covering the whole Pontiac area but she claimed to be from LA and was traveling with the show. She gave the basics, some right some wrong (still saying 170 HP even though the display clearly says 177 and "in showrooms" fall of 2005 even though we know June 2005 is more like it).

The Sky was there on the much bigger display, spinning around with the live person talking every half hour.

I have some pictures I'll post later. I tried to take different angles we might not have seen before so they might look a little weird (like I don't know how to use a camera :lol ) I just figured we have so many pictures of same things already.

My impression was WOW!!! It's my second time seeing it in person (10 months ago in NYC) and as many have said before, it looks better in 3 dimensions! The Sky also seems better in person but personally the Solstice and it's curves are for me.

It was really great to hear regular (non die-hard) people discussing the car in their circles. People were amazed but it's beauty and design. Funny the info display in front has no price and almost always people would say ah-huh, it must be 35 or 40 grand. I'd jump into a couple of conversations and tell them it's 20 and they thought I was lying. Other thing they would often think it is concept car.

Only things I noticed that I had never picked up from our pictures is there was a small lip that hung under the front end. Not sure what it's purpose is but it did eat up about 2" of ground clearance. I have a couple of pictures of it. The other thing I never noticed before was on the top edge of metal strip that separates the seating compartment from the body was a 6" rubber slot of sorts that looks to be for the top to connect into. With the car lower it was easier to see it.

I spent some time floating around to all the other roadsters. S2000 was up on a display which was weird. I have no trouble fitting all of them them since I'm 5'8" 160 lbs but even I could feel the Miata was a little cramped even for me (mostly left/right space in the cabin).

I looked at many other trunks of the competition. Trunks are the Achilles heel of many roadsters and small convertibles. Chrysler crossfire's trunk was surprising small with a small opening too, Mini had a very small back seat and it's trunk also was also very very small. TT was little better, MR2 was a joke (I'd say it has no trunk). The best trunks were the Miata, Boxster and Z4.

Well that's about it for now. I'll check back tonight with some pics. Hopefully someone else was able to get some interesting info.

Hey I got a nice cheese steak out of the deal but had to see 10,000 eagles jerseys all day :cheers

·
4,592 Posts
mceb said:
Hey I got a nice cheese steak out of the deal but had to see 10,000 eagles jerseys all day :cheers

MMMMMMMMM, philly cheesesteak. love it! Been there, done that, twice! so jealous. so, what was better, the sol or the sandwhich :jester

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
mceb said:
It was really great to hear regular (non die-hard) people discussing the car in their circles. People were amazed but it's beauty and design. Funny the info display in front has no price and almost always people would say ah-huh, it must be 35 or 40 grand. I'd jump into a couple of conversations and tell them it's 20 and they thought I was lying. Other thing they would often think it is concept car.

I know how you feel. At the Houston show I convinced a few people it was going to actually be built, but nobody would believe me when I said 20 to 25 grand. I'm convinced this car is going to shock everyone when it hits the streets. I just hope there's some left when I buy a year from now.

·
5,600 Posts
mceb said:
MR2 was a joke (I'd say it has no trunk).
The Solstice's trunk will be called a "joke" as well. Good thing the Solstice appears to be a very good sports car. It should make me forget all about the trunk.

And I agree the Solstice looks far better in real life, almost mesmerizing.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
jimbo said:
The Solstice's trunk will be called a "joke" as well. Good thing the Solstice appears to be a very good sports car. It should make me forget all about the trunk.

And I agree the Solstice looks far better in real life, almost mesmerizing.
What ever is under the Solstice trunk it can't be as bad as MR2 :lol The actor doing the Sky talks came right out in public and said it has small trunk. He put his hand about 3/4 back and said the top takes up this much of the trunk. He did say a "Sunday golf bag" would fit.

·
5,600 Posts
mceb said:
What ever is under the Solstice trunk it can't be as bad as MR2 :lol
So you say. Just remember what they say about people who live in glass houses, and all that :blush .

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I hear ya jimbo...glass house we have :lol

The coupe versions of other roadsters did pick up a bunch of trunk space...a coupe version of Solstice some day would be big for daily drivers.

Here's a few of the other roadster trunks I snapped....
Boxster, Crossfire, Mini, MR2

Attachments

·
4,592 Posts
mceb said:
I hear ya jimbo...glass house we have :lol

The coupe versions of other roadsters did pick up a bunch of trunk space...a coupe version of Solstice some day would be big for daily drivers.

Here's a few of the other roadster trunks I snapped....
Boxster, Crossfire, Mini, MR2
WHAAAAA.... the MR2, they call that a trunk, I've seen bigger glove boxes :lol
and what it that in the MR2 trunk, looks like a suitcase of sorts?

miata's got them all beat no doubt

thanks mceb, I always wanted to see an MR2 trunk, but the dealer here is filled with paranahs for salespersons

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
RODEO said:
WHAAAAA.... the MR2, they call that a trunk, I've seen bigger glove boxes :lol
and what it that in the MR2 trunk, looks like a suitcase of sorts?
That compartment in the middle is the spare tire. It hinges open and there is a little bit of extra room but it's very oddly shaped and small. The outside has that plastic covering leaving NO depth at all.

Miata has a great trunk.

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
By the way RODEO what's with the new AVATAR? Is this now your new ride?. :glol

·
4,592 Posts
LatinVenom said:
By the way RODEO what's with the new AVATAR? Is this now your new ride?. :glol
that's an inside joke to S-Man, see his post on the "tough moderator" thread

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
Rodeo, that was great, I could just picture SM/BOB when he first read the post. :glol

·
4,592 Posts
LatinVenom said:
Rodeo, that was great, I could just picture SM/BOB when he first read the post. :glol
HE just did, go see :jester

·
Registered
141 Posts
Disappointment

I got back from the Philly show pretty late last night, sot I didn't immediately post. MCEB described the car and show well, so I won't add much.

The car was on the same stand as the one used in Harrisburg, and I'll bet it was the same car. It really is gorgeous; far and away the best looking car at the show, production or concept.

When I got there (between 4 - 5), GM had assigned a showperson to the display. She did a little presentation every 1/2 hour or so that included getting into the car. She was pretty small, so she had no trouble getting in, but said that her 6'1" coworker didn't believe the car would be comfortable for long periods of time. She also said that the car would have 177 HP and torque somewhere in the 160's (sorry, I wasn't listening carefully at that point). She also said production would begin this summer with cars in the showroom this fall.

She refused to open the trunk, although she did mention during the presentation that it would be small.

I had really hoped for something more, especially since the show was so close to the Wilmington plant. I'm also kinda surprised that we're getting mixed messages from GM this close to production. In Harrisburg we were told May production, June showroom. In Philly, one week later, it's summer production, fall showroom. What gives?

BTW, my second favorite GM car at the show was the GTO. I know, it's not the same thing, but torque really is an underrated antidepressant and the interior is very nice!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
palmer said:
I had really hoped for something more, especially since the show was so close to the Wilmington plant. I'm also kinda surprised that we're getting mixed messages from GM this close to production. In Harrisburg we were told May production, June showroom. In Philly, one week later, it's summer production, fall showroom. What gives?
Don't sweat it Palmer on the summer production, too many people have been saying May for it not to be true (including Lutz himself in the Equire article). Sounds like they kicked it up a notch for the afternoon and evening crowds with the announcer...I got out around noon when it just started getting crowded. Good point on being so close to Wilmington, they could have rolled a real one there :smile

1 - 20 of 56 Posts