Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Scosche gooseneck phone holder/charger, which has a magnetic mount, which works well and you can move it in many different directions. Question is, when I plug into the 12v socket, it powers the charger with no key in. In other words, always hot. If I leave it plugged in while car is sitting, not charging anything, but still showing a blue light that it is energized, will it slowly drain the battery?
Just picked up my “Buttercup” this past week, 2007, GXP, 25k miles. It is in absolutely show room condition. I am in love!
C0E60BD4-C979-4DF4-B9A2-8A764B817069.jpeg

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
That accessory socket is always hot. There will be some current drain but if it is just the charger without the phone, the drain would be almost nothing, Probably just enough to light that blue LED in which case it would take many days, if not weeks, to drain the battery.

beautiful car, same color as my daisy.

·
Super Moderator
5,953 Posts
Yes. That outlet, as you have noticed, is always powered, so something plugged into it will add a drain to the battery. I have left a GPS plugged in for a week without any problems, but cars vary and batteries vary, so you could have problems sooner or later with more or less load.

The battery is slowly drained by the car's computers anyway, so if you are going to let the car sit for more than a month or so you should either connect a battery maintainer or disconnect the battery.

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your acquisition.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
added a permanent port for a battery tender next to my power steering reservoir. I ran into all sorts of little problems when I let my battery drain down. windows wouldn't work, lost preset channels, and other weird malfunctions. that extra port also allows you to connect an auxiliary power source to retain all your settings when disconnecting or changing your battery. You can also buy little battery packs that plug into your accessory socket that do the same thing. Like john said, your onboard computers are permanently on and even a small 9v battery will keep them on while changing or disconnecting your battery.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
I just bought a Scosche gooseneck phone holder/charger, which has a magnetic mount, which works well and you can move it in many different directions. Question is, when I plug into the 12v socket, it powers the charger with no key in. In other words, always hot. If I leave it plugged in while car is sitting, not charging anything, but still showing a blue light that it is energized, will it slowly drain the battery?
The car does have an anti-drain circuit that powers off accessories about 15-20 mins after you remove the keys. Not sure if it works on the 12V socket, but you could run an experiment... Leave the charger plugged-in with the LED oriented so you can see it through the window. Then turn your car off and lock the doors and come back in 20mins and see if the LED is still on. Report back here. If it's off your question has been answered.

·
Super Moderator
5,953 Posts
The car does have an anti-drain circuit that powers off accessories about 15-20 mins after you remove the keys. Not sure if it works on the 12V socket, but you could run an experiment... Leave the charger plugged-in with the LED oriented so you can see it through the window. Then turn your car off and lock the doors and come back in 20mins and see if the LED is still on. Report back here. If it's off your question has been answered.
The Inadvertant Load Control relay will turn off the interior and trunk lights if they are left on, but as far as I have seen nothing else is shut off. At least in the Sky, and I believe also In the Solstice the power outlet is always powered. There is a BCM terminal that is controlled by the Retained Accessory Power relay if you want something that acts like the radio.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Welcome Nicksol & your sol looks in mint shape. I don't leave any thing plugged in while not running the car.I also use a battery tender hooked up to it all year round when not in use.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I leave mine plugged in all Summer and have never had a battery issue. I use a 2 port adapter so the passenger can use a charger also. I remove the adapter for Winter storage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts