Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I love the look of the Solstice, but I've always kind of thought the front end looked a bit cluttered, particularly on certain colors where there is a lot of contrast. The foglights seem very prominent. I know some of us have our own ideas of slight changes we'd make to the look, such as the grill inserts and the like, so I thought I'd play with my ideas in Photoshop. Obviously this wouldn't be a quick, easy change like the grills though, so this was just for fun. The first pic is the original, followed by one w/o foglights and two pics with smaller foglights. The results are kind of interesting ... not sure I like them better than the original though. Anyway, I thought I'd post here to see what you guys think. They're just quickie Photochops.

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
Looks cool! I think I would like to see something in between the small fogs and the factory fogs. Something like 2/3 the size of the originals. I do think you need the fogs (visually, forget about turn signal issue) but a tad smaller may make it a bit more sleek.

·
Registered
446 Posts
That was a cool photochop. The middle pic definitely looks a tad bare; What about reshaping the grille when you remove/resize the fogs? I've always been curious as to what the front would look like with something similar to the GTO autocross grilles.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Not to hijack your thread, but...

If I understand correctly, if you didn't order the conv. (yes, stupid move :( which I tried to correct... ), you don't get fog lights. So what goes in there place?

From MisterE's comment, I assume these also function as turn signals. At first I was worried there would be just vents - but if it isn't going to look any different than a Sol w/ fogs, I don't think I care (as much).

·
Registered
905 Posts
MAKsys said:

If I understand correctly, if you didn't order the conv. (yes, stupid move :( which I tried to correct... ), you don't get fog lights. So what goes in there place?

From MisterE's comment, I assume these also function as turn signals. At first I was worried there would be just vents - but if it isn't going to look any different than a Sol w/ fogs, I don't think I care (as much).
Yeah I think you are correct in that there are an optional feature not standard.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
You must have missed SouthernSols thread with the pictures at the plant. Perhaps there's a pic in the gallery but I don't feel like searching for it. Without the convenience package you don't get the foglights, but instead the entire opening is filled with a big clear lensed blinker/drl. I haven't seen it lit up, but I would guess it probably looks very ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
dori-san said:
...I would guess it probably looks very ridiculous.
ouch... I had convinced myself it was going to be OK - now you've ruined my happy delusion. :(

·
Registered
85 Posts
Considering that the opening is the same size with or without - you may be able to put the foglights in at a later date. No idea about the control switch, though.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
MisterE said:
Looks cool! I think I would like to see something in between the small fogs and the factory fogs. Something like 2/3 the size of the originals. I do think you need the fogs (visually, forget about turn signal issue) but a tad smaller may make it a bit more sleek.
Yep ... had forgotten about the integrated turn signal. Guess you'd have to add a pair of blinkers if you droped the fogs altogether. I added a fourth pic with medium-sized foglights and I agree it looks better than the really small ones. I think I like them a little closer to the center instead of right under the headlights for some reason.

I like the shape of the grill as it is, so I haven't played with that, but I've considered toying with giving it a front opening like the old Jaguar E-type. Oh well, I guess it's something to do to kill time 'til the real one gets here. Again, this is just for fun ... no offense to the actual design intended.

·
Registered
285 Posts
SlySol, get with someone and make that front end kit! I love the smaller fogs more centered! (Agree I still love the original) but your's looks great!

·
Registered
139 Posts
i like it without teh lights the most. i think the simplicity meshes the best with the lines of the car.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Nice job, Sly! Without teh lights gets my vote for best looking, too. The Solstice is such an elemental and elegant car, no lights looks OEM.

If only it had a bigger trunk! ;) :lol:

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
MAKsys said:

Not positive, but I think this is what yours will look like.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=608&sort=2&cat=3017&page=1

·
Registered
936 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
stang said:
I still like my Solbird idea.I widened the hood creases and increased the width of the grill. Then I used inset grill inserts to give it a deeper look. It mimics the 72' Firebird. Here's the old thread.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1424
Definitely like those grilles better than the stock ones. They look like the autocross grilles on the GTO.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MisterE said:
SlySol, get with someone and make that front end kit! I love the smaller fogs more centered! (Agree I still love the original) but your's looks great!
I'd kind of like to see one of those as an aftermarket option, but unfortunately I have no contacts in the industry. I don't generally like when people make all sorts of crazy modifications to rice out cars, but I think some subtle changes like that would be cool. Maybe somebody will see the pics and run with it. They've actually gotten a better response than I expected. I will probably keep my Sol original for the first year or so out of respect for the design, but I might go for a slightly different look down the road.

One thing that I would REALLY like to see is a "coupe conversion" kit that would basically be a hardtop that would replace both the top AND the trunk lid. It would give you a lot more cargo space (via a hatchback style rear glass) and a completely different look. I am actually considering trying to find a hotrod shop or something to custom-design one for me. Here is the thread where several of us started to discuss it ...

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2689

The end result would look like the coupe shown in the first post and more of the details about the implementation are scattered throughout that thread.

·
497 Posts
Great as is

Thank you for the mock-up, it is interesting to see different variations. Personally, I really like the design as it is. The only thing I would like to see is HIDs and possibly different grill treatments. I hope, and kind of expect, that we see these in the aftermarket world.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
For what the fogs look like just look at the banner at the top of this page. I believe the lit top half is the foglamp.

·
Registered
350 Posts
achieftain said:
For what the fogs look like just look at the banner at the top of this page. I believe the lit top half is the foglamp.
I think that the top half is the turn signal/DRLs and the bottom is the fog lights. In the case that you don't have the fog lights the whole thing is the turn signal/DRLs at least that's what it looked like from one of the pictures that I saw

1 - 20 of 22 Posts