Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I love the look of the Solstice, but I've always kind of thought the front end looked a bit cluttered, particularly on certain colors where there is a lot of contrast. The foglights seem very prominent. I know some of us have our own ideas of slight changes we'd make to the look, such as the grill inserts and the like, so I thought I'd play with my ideas in Photoshop. Obviously this wouldn't be a quick, easy change like the grills though, so this was just for fun. The first pic is the original, followed by one w/o foglights and two pics with smaller foglights. The results are kind of interesting ... not sure I like them better than the original though. Anyway, I thought I'd post here to see what you guys think. They're just quickie Photochops.

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
Looks cool! I think I would like to see something in between the small fogs and the factory fogs. Something like 2/3 the size of the originals. I do think you need the fogs (visually, forget about turn signal issue) but a tad smaller may make it a bit more sleek.

·
Registered
446 Posts
That was a cool photochop. The middle pic definitely looks a tad bare; What about reshaping the grille when you remove/resize the fogs? I've always been curious as to what the front would look like with something similar to the GTO autocross grilles.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Not to hijack your thread, but...

If I understand correctly, if you didn't order the conv. (yes, stupid move :( which I tried to correct... ), you don't get fog lights. So what goes in there place?

From MisterE's comment, I assume these also function as turn signals. At first I was worried there would be just vents - but if it isn't going to look any different than a Sol w/ fogs, I don't think I care (as much).

·
Registered
905 Posts
MAKsys said:

If I understand correctly, if you didn't order the conv. (yes, stupid move :( which I tried to correct... ), you don't get fog lights. So what goes in there place?

From MisterE's comment, I assume these also function as turn signals. At first I was worried there would be just vents - but if it isn't going to look any different than a Sol w/ fogs, I don't think I care (as much).
Yeah I think you are correct in that there are an optional feature not standard.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
You must have missed SouthernSols thread with the pictures at the plant. Perhaps there's a pic in the gallery but I don't feel like searching for it. Without the convenience package you don't get the foglights, but instead the entire opening is filled with a big clear lensed blinker/drl. I haven't seen it lit up, but I would guess it probably looks very ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
dori-san said:
...I would guess it probably looks very ridiculous.
ouch... I had convinced myself it was going to be OK - now you've ruined my happy delusion. :(

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
MisterE said:
Looks cool! I think I would like to see something in between the small fogs and the factory fogs. Something like 2/3 the size of the originals. I do think you need the fogs (visually, forget about turn signal issue) but a tad smaller may make it a bit more sleek.
Yep ... had forgotten about the integrated turn signal. Guess you'd have to add a pair of blinkers if you droped the fogs altogether. I added a fourth pic with medium-sized foglights and I agree it looks better than the really small ones. I think I like them a little closer to the center instead of right under the headlights for some reason.

I like the shape of the grill as it is, so I haven't played with that, but I've considered toying with giving it a front opening like the old Jaguar E-type. Oh well, I guess it's something to do to kill time 'til the real one gets here. Again, this is just for fun ... no offense to the actual design intended.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
MAKsys said:

Not positive, but I think this is what yours will look like.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=608&sort=2&cat=3017&page=1

·
Registered
936 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
stang said:
I still like my Solbird idea.I widened the hood creases and increased the width of the grill. Then I used inset grill inserts to give it a deeper look. It mimics the 72' Firebird. Here's the old thread.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1424
Definitely like those grilles better than the stock ones. They look like the autocross grilles on the GTO.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MisterE said:
SlySol, get with someone and make that front end kit! I love the smaller fogs more centered! (Agree I still love the original) but your's looks great!
I'd kind of like to see one of those as an aftermarket option, but unfortunately I have no contacts in the industry. I don't generally like when people make all sorts of crazy modifications to rice out cars, but I think some subtle changes like that would be cool. Maybe somebody will see the pics and run with it. They've actually gotten a better response than I expected. I will probably keep my Sol original for the first year or so out of respect for the design, but I might go for a slightly different look down the road.

One thing that I would REALLY like to see is a "coupe conversion" kit that would basically be a hardtop that would replace both the top AND the trunk lid. It would give you a lot more cargo space (via a hatchback style rear glass) and a completely different look. I am actually considering trying to find a hotrod shop or something to custom-design one for me. Here is the thread where several of us started to discuss it ...

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2689

The end result would look like the coupe shown in the first post and more of the details about the implementation are scattered throughout that thread.

·
497 Posts
Great as is

Thank you for the mock-up, it is interesting to see different variations. Personally, I really like the design as it is. The only thing I would like to see is HIDs and possibly different grill treatments. I hope, and kind of expect, that we see these in the aftermarket world.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
For what the fogs look like just look at the banner at the top of this page. I believe the lit top half is the foglamp.

·
Registered
350 Posts
achieftain said:
For what the fogs look like just look at the banner at the top of this page. I believe the lit top half is the foglamp.
I think that the top half is the turn signal/DRLs and the bottom is the fog lights. In the case that you don't have the fog lights the whole thing is the turn signal/DRLs at least that's what it looked like from one of the pictures that I saw

1 - 20 of 22 Posts