·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Today was the 2nd day of autocross. I found that I had some rubbing on the front in the wheel well on the front of the liners. The front and rear kept on settling more. The continued front settling created the issue. :willy:

At mid day I raised front up about 0.4 inches. At the end of the day it needed to be raised a 1/4 inch again on the front. I didn't touch the rear at all because it seems to be pretty stable right now where I want it. My street ride goal is 1.5 inches of drop. For autocross, I'd probably 1/4-1/2 inch less drop to make sure that the car had all the travel it needed. At least at my current compression settings. I'm hoping that the settling has finished. I'll keep an eye on it and post back.

With the second day I had Shabby with his car (same car forum member) for the course. His is stock for suspension so it gave an interesting comparison. We had a lot of fun and both cars looked great on the course. We rode as a passenger in each others car too.

I highly recommend with the KW's that if you autocross only start wth about a 0.5 inch drop to see where it goes. And in general keep an eye on the settling of the suspension. You may need to readjust it.

kw.........

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Ya it was a good day, your gxp is a cone munching machine and mine likes to pop intercooler pipes it seems.
All of the instructors praised the handling of our cars, especially the turn-in capabilities.

Here's some comparisons of the stock and kw v3 equipped gxp's, this was a 2 inch drop.

:yesnod:

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
It looks like I need to crank mine down a few threads. It looks very NICE.

Didnt KW give you some specs on where to set it so it will perform its best ?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
It looks like I need to crank mine down a few threads. It looks very NICE.

Didnt KW give you some specs on where to set it so it will perform its best ?
Thx! :yesnod:

Remember..... My suspension settled a good 0.4 inches, and the kw installation manual notes this. Unless you've driven it a fair amount you may want to wait a bit.

I started with the suggestions on the kw sheets that came with the car. I'll see if they have any more input.

kw.....

·
Registered
582 Posts
You should have put this in the handling sub-forum. I probably would have never seen this if I weren't bored right now. :p

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I went and adjusted the compression a little harder on the front. I did this in anticipation of doing an autocross event. The compression was only 3 clicks out from full hard, so I went to 2 clicks out from full hard. Only 1 click of difference and wow, it is noticibly harder. Minor changes to the settings on these coilovers make notable differences.

kw........

·
Registered
177 Posts
Very Sweet. I spoke with a KW dealer today and I may order them next week. Just want to take a look around and see what else there is. I thought Eibachs with sport Konis, but want something a bit more adjustable. The KW V3 seems the perfect setup. Would like to talk and get some more info if possible. Thanks and the car looks great.

Howster

'07 Mean GXP 'All the way'

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thx Howster. I did a lot of research on coilovers. There a few options but you have to go more basic or do a custom order for something to the level of the KW V3's at this time. Post any questions you have. Do a decent alignment too. I recommend looking at the definitive alignment thread for more info.

I am very happy with the set up. The independent adjustability is great, and settings make a big difference in how the car rides. These coilovers aren't overly dumbed down where the adjustability doesn't make much of a difference.

I find the car gets a lot more looks now. And the impact on warranty is minimal. It is a win win situation. I did this as my first mod, and I recommend to everyone that this be their first mod, especially on GXP's where engine mods aren't doing a lot without getting tunes. And even at that the ECM still isn't cracked properly.

I can scare the crap out of passengers with the cornering ability of the car now. :lol:

With more seat time I find the car has more road feel. There is a bit more harshness at the beginning of bumps, but if you are on a bumpy street/section the car feels very similar to stock. This is at the recommended KW V3 settings. Backing off the compression will make the car feel more like stock overall too. FYI I'm back to stock KW V3 recomended settings.

I did some more ride height adjustment this morning. It looks likes things have settled making adjustment much easier. And I'm where I want to be for ride height at this time; about 1.4-1.5 inches lower than stock. Note that rear ride height is very dependent on the fuel load.

kw.......

·
Registered
761 Posts
Corner balancing should be your next step. Because you can with adj.coilovers, plus its ballpark at best just going by ride height alone.
For the rest of us its preloading swaybars with adj. end links or adding ballast.

Corner Balancing

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hi Spider, thx for the info. This is good for people doing coilovers and wanting to get performance better. With an autocross interest I've already been told about corner weighting. ;)

I know one guy who will do it and assess the coilover setup for optimal settings, at a price. I have a line on another guy where I may be able to at least do a more affordable set up. It's on my radar, but it may be a while before I take the time to do it. I finally think I have the ride height set up decent across all four, so adjusting from now on in should be easier.

kw.......

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm glad you're on track. Love to hear your "after" impression. What it will do is make the car react the same tossing it left or right.
Waaa, I want a set. Enjoy!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just today went ahead and ordered the KW's. It was thought they had a set at the KW warehouse here in the states, but alas, they were mislead. So a brand new shiney set is enroute from Germany and should be here in less than two weeks, or so I am told. The tune is already paid for, and just waiting for the new ECM to arrive so I can send it to Westers. I am having no luck with finding a really nice set of 5-spoke matte black wheels, so may have to buy something and just have them powder-coated. I think I may stay with the 18's, but there may be more offerings in 19. Any hints would be welcome. I think your car with the KW's made the decision for me to go ahead and make the buy. I hope low-yellow looks as nice as low-red. In your opinion, would 19's fit with the KW's or should I stick with the 18's? Thanks and great job.

Howster

'07 GXP

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
I just today went ahead and ordered the KW's. It was thought they had a set at the KW warehouse here in the states, but alas, they were mislead. So a brand new shiney set is enroute from Germany and should be here in less than two weeks, or so I am told. The tune is already paid for, and just waiting for the new ECM to arrive so I can send it to Westers. I am having no luck with finding a really nice set of 5-spoke matte black wheels, so may have to buy something and just have them powder-coated. I think I may stay with the 18's, but there may be more offerings in 19. Any hints would be welcome. I think your car with the KW's made the decision for me to go ahead and make the buy. I hope low-yellow looks as nice as low-red. In your opinion, would 19's fit with the KW's or should I stick with the 18's? Thanks and great job.

Howster

'07 GXP
My next mod is going to be 19's with my KW's. I think they will work just fine. Goto the Performance Autowerks vendor section and there is a thread there, with pics of their car with KW's and 19's on it.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Great news Howster! I hope you are happy with the suspension. I'm sure you will be, and I look forward to reading about your impressions when you get them.

As for wheels. 19 will fit, but it depends on the width too. I recommend carefully considering what you want from the wheels. Many 19's are 8.5 inch and that means you can't go any wider than the stock tire size. If you are going with just a cosmetic change then that won't be a big deal. If you want performance, the 18 inch wheel has better tire options at this time (and the wheel will be lighter to boot). 19X9 with +55 OS will fit front and rear, but are very hard to find (especially 5 spoke).

I too have looked up and down for wheels for the car, and want 5 spoke, originally thinking black too. As you noted, it is easiest just to get them powder coated after. That way you have the biggest selection.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts