41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Very nice! That's the stance.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Looks like it's an AWD machine before the drop.. I didn't like that look either. I have the revamped sportline springs on my car, and it dropped down about as low as yours is right now. The air catch for the radiator will scrap all day without damage, you just have to watch for flying rocks. I have been scraping mine for 2yrs now without damage. I plan on trimming it once I get my car back from the dealership.

Did you get those measurements from the center of the wheels to the fender?? I will have to measure mine too.

Jay

·
Registered
393 Posts
Definitely the car looks like off-road mode when stock after seeing the drop.

The measurements were taken centerline of the hub/wheel from the ground to the lip of the fender.

kw.......
I would be curious to see what the measurments are from the hub to the fender, instead of from the ground. I would like to compare to mine..

Jay

·
Registered
516 Posts
Word of caution if you have front splashguards. I would think you could not have them. DarkSol has stock N/A suspension and you should see the bottom of my guards from speed bump scrapeing. If fact I folded one over on a very high speed bump the other day..put a crease in the guard. I would think they would have to be removed if car lowered or maybe they could be trimmed the lowered differance.
I go around speed bumps, the car is already to low for them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hey KW,

I received the KW's last week, and have installed the new Vredesteins and wheels. I had some questions for you, and sent a PM a few days ago. What do you think?

Howster

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I would be curious to see what the measurments are from the hub to the fender, instead of from the ground. I would like to compare to mine..

Jay
I measured around 14 -14.1 inches between middle centre cap and the fender. Front and rear. This was with over 1/2 tank of gas too.

I've raised the car all around again hoping to get another .2 to .25 inches up. This would put me around 27 1/8 inches F and R (or 14.25 inches F and R using centerline hub). It doesn't measure that now exactly as it has to settle.

kw.......

·
Registered
393 Posts
kw

I had the chance to measure mine today. Eibach sportlines, 14 inches up front from center of hub, and 14.25 in the back. I though we were close but not that close. Your's looks lower..Which is gooder..haha

Jay

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
KW suspension notes Front=400 / Rear=285 lbs/inch for the KW V3's on the solstice. I don't know what stock is, perhaps someone can post. Or ask that question on the forum here.

This suspension is for sale from a variety of dealers as well as from site supporting shops. Gravana and performance autowerks immediately come to mind. Retail is $1995. I got mine from a forum member here.

kw........
FWIW, this post has an error and I can't edit it because it's now locked. It should have read the Front=400 / Rear=228 lbs/inch. 400/228 F/R lbs/inch specs are also equal to 7.2/4.1 kg/mm or 70/40 nm/mm.

Also note that's the original KW suspension kit spec for the GXP. KW has since updated the solstice suspension kit (all types AFAIK, v1, v2, v3) in a running update at least a few years back; it's a different rear coilover (wider with wider spring) and a higher rear spring rate (the first kit was soft and undersprung in the rear of the solstice for rough roads). The new rear springs are 50 nm/mm (same as 5.1 kg/mm or 285 lbs/inch). I installed new 50 nm/mm rear springs on my KW V3 GXP this year and it's worth the upgrade for those that have the old kit imo.

Cheers

·
Registered
351 Posts
looks good! I would like mine a little lower but....it's my daily driver..and..florida. super flat state and dipsey doddle roads...and driveways/store entrances....intersections...and just plain "straight" roads keep telling my self it's so the tourist wont out stay their welcome...but they do.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
For those interested in the original early thread pictures here they are. I still have the now old pictures from new.

Here is a picture of my car back in 2007 new with OEM suspension.

I always loved the look of the GXP; its smooth curves and looks. Very evocative.

2008 pictures of my GXP with the KW V3 kit just installed. It's sitting lower here at first install as I was just beginning to dial in the ride height for local roads. The car at this point was also running a street aggressive spec suspension alignment (camber, caster and toe-in F/R). https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f48/definitive-thread-alignment-specs-44573/; an old but valuable enthusiast thread.

I can attest to account for the fact that new suspension sags a good 1.5 inches or so over a month or two as it sits on the car on the ground. My GXP got low for a while. It's an aggressive look, but I raised it back up soon after for better utility where I live... and as you saw with my recent pictures. Here's an autocross PIMP version at one point back in the early days there when it sagged into that aggressive stance. Shoutout @shabby. @marksbug for u.

Here the car is a number of years later... and a number of years ago too. I ended up at this suspension drop wheel gap overall preference; it was the optimal overall balance and look to me. Much improvement in performance (including AX class winning capability with premium tires) with surprisingly little compromise in the nvh and daily drive-ability categories. Much better than stock too. It's a great enthusiast upgrade.

Cheers.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts