Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Would something like this be useful? The state colors are gradient based on the numbers of CONFIRMED cars in that state (based on Excelsior's last data). Currently the red dots are bogus data but could colored based on the status of the car and be placed at the actual locations of the owners. This is just a JPG, but the real product would be a zoomable Flash object. Let me know if it's worth the effort.

[EDITED] - Sample image removed. Go see the LIVE version.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crimson Avenger said:
I just wonder how hard it will be to grind the data into it.
Not as bad as you might think. If I can get Excelsior to add ZIP code to his spreadsheet, the rest is cake. I have a database of ZIP-to-lat/lon conversions to get close enough, and a quick dirty program to mash it into some XML.

Getting people's ZIPs or exact lat/lon is the real task. I've thought about setting up a little website to have everyone enter it themselves, but am certainly open to other options.

We just need to stop tracking status in a half dozen threads or it will never work!

·
4,592 Posts
Chris, I pm'd you, I think we might be able to trade some mapping technologies???

·
Registered
54 Posts
Chris said:
Not as bad as you might think. If I can get Excelsior to add ZIP code to his spreadsheet, the rest is cake. I have a database of ZIP-to-lat/lon conversions to get close enough, and a quick dirty program to mash it into some XML.

Getting people's ZIPs or exact lat/lon is the real task. I've thought about setting up a little website to have everyone enter it themselves, but am certainly open to other options.

We just need to stop tracking status in a half dozen threads or it will never work!
:agree:
Great job!!!!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Chris said:
Let me know if it's worth the effort.
It's worth the effort from my point of view - I'm not doing it!!!! :lol:

You tell us...is it really worth the effort? (I think the map looks cool!)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any web developers with a place to host feel like helping out? I just need to take a form with a half dozen fields and append its contents to a text file. PM me if you're interested and I'll lay out what I had in mind.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Looks nice.
Would make it easy to spot others on the map.
You could start a new thread for zipcodes ?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Lookin' good ... a rough idea of the gradient scale would be cool also. For instance, Black=0, White>10 and each change in gradient represents 2 additinoal cars or something to that effect. (No idea what they currently represent, so don't read anything into my examples.)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Nice idea! :thumbs: It would be interesting to see if there are any concentrations of cars.

One thing is for sure, its going to look a little sparse up in New England with the 0 zip code debacle! :(

·
Registered
121 Posts
yes!

I love it. I asked about a map a while ago--this is exactly what I had in mind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mapping technology...i can help

hey fellas,

Nice to see the map. I'm a geographer and work for a GIS company called ESRI (www.esri.com). If you want someone to help out let me know. I'd be happy to.

cheers,

zedman

·
4,592 Posts
:)
daz said:
hey fellas,

Nice to see the map. I'm a geographer and work for a GIS company called ESRI (www.esri.com). If you want someone to help out let me know. I'd be happy to.

cheers,

zedman
daz/zedman, I sent you a PM!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Why not keep it in a MySQL table? I could write the code for a php form to capture the data into a table. Someone else would have to figure out how to get it into an image (that's the one area of php I'm not familiar with).

We should eventually include everyone's Solstice (1st 1000 or not).

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I think the map idea is great!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts