Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off let me tell you, today was the first time I saw a Sol, sat in a Sol and drove a Sol. And I am happy to say I made a great decision. This car is so much fun to drive. I did not want to put it away this evening. It handles great, has more power than I expected from a 4 cylinder, and the curves and beauty of the car are just fantastic. My wife and I took her up and down Rt. 1 in Delaware, most of it is open road and pretty straight. This car just wants to move. It feels great looks great and is a pleasure to drive.

I am 6'0'' and about 240 lbs, my wife is 5'7'' and she weighs about 105 lbs. we were both surprised by how comfortable the seats were. For a 2 seater you have plenty of cabin room.

I took it to a friends house this evening and they could not believe the price, I was on the road for a little over 24K with 6 year tags. I have cloth interior and we were worried that we should have went for leather, but after seeing vin # 261 and the black and sand leather, we feel like we made the right choice.

If you are waiting for your Sol, hang in there the wait will be worth it. This is just a fantastic car.

We did go for the extended warranty, 72 mos. and 48,000. I took the length more than miles because we think we will only put 4-5 k a year on this car, it is basically a bumper to bumper warranty, with the exception of wearable parts, tires, battery, etc. etc. the price started at 1,500 and we negotiated to 1,300, so basically it cost me and additional 433 per year for a warranty on years 4,5,6.

What do you guys think, good or bad deal on extended warranty?

·
Registered
135 Posts
del_utz said:
We did go for the extended warranty, 72 mos. and 48,000. I took the length more than miles because we think we will only put 4-5 k a year on this car, it is basically a bumper to bumper warranty, with the exception of wearable parts, tires, battery, etc. etc. the price started at 1,500 and we negotiated to 1,300, so basically it cost me and additional 433 per year for a warranty on years 4,5,6.

I, too, went for the extended warranty for two main reasons: (1) I drive every car I own for as long as possible and I have gotten more than my money's worth in the warranty price in repairs, with A/C and transmission the main problems (2) this is a first year car and my only other experience with a first year model would have been a financial disaster if I hadn't purchased an extended warranty.

I know that they sell these warranties as insurance, and the odds say that the insurer will not have to pay out the equivalent of the cost of the policy in repairs. I do not purchase extended warranties for PC's, TV's, or anything other than motor vehicles, and I have never regretted not purchasing these extended warranties. That said, I have also never regretted spending the money for an extended vehicle warranty because in over 30 years of vehicle purchasing history, I have always used the extended warranty to the extent that the accrued repair costs exceeded the warranty purchase price. To each his or her own, but it doesn't add up to much over the life of the car and it's worth the peace of mind for somone like me that is not mechanically skilled. I say feel good about your purchase... besides, it's done. :)

PS: Congratulations on receiving your Sol! I, too, love driving mine.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Sounds like you really enjoy the car. :lol: The warranty can be a good choice for a first year car. Just hope Pontiac got it right and the warranty won't be necessary.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
del_utz said:

Thanks for the review.

I'm never sure about extended plans and I'm in same boat as you with only 4-5k a year which makes it all the more confusing. First year model has me thinking too. In year 4 I'd only be at 20,000 miles. Part of me thinks I'd be fine but does leave me confused :confused:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mceb said:
Thanks for the review.

I'm never sure about extended plans and I'm in same boat as you with only 4-5k a year which makes it all the more confusing. First year model has me thinking too. In year 4 I'd only be at 20,000 miles. Part of me thinks I'd be fine but does leave me confused :confused:
:agree: WHat sold me on the extended was not the miles but the length of the contract, basically all major components are cover for an additional 3 years. I love the way they say it is a 72 mo. warranty when you already have 36. That said my wife and I talked about it and for $1300 we thought the peace of mind was worth it. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

·
2,574 Posts
del_utz said:
:agree: WHat sold me on the extended was not the miles but the length of the contract, basically all major components are cover for an additional 3 years. I love the way they say it is a 72 mo. warranty when you already have 36. That said my wife and I talked about it and for $1300 we thought the peace of mind was worth it. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
I don't think you went wrong for 13 hundred across the 3 years. I will rethink this idea based on your experience and will look for a similar offer. I've never done an extended warranty before, but there is a lot of unknown associated with this purchase and I don't mean that in a negative way. The one thing that will be even clearer to all of us in years to come will be that, barring unforseen large scale recalls, we have stolen these practically hand built automobiles for prolly 10 or 15 grand less than their true value. I know that may sound like a stretch today but I believe this statement will ultimately prove to be a conservative one. So, yes it's a tad impractical, it's drop dead gorgeous and lives for the twisties, but even more than we now recognize, it's an enormous bargain to boot (whoops, didn't mean to say boot).

·
1,492 Posts
Boot?

RX-5's and s2000's have a "boot" Sol's don't.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Good thought on the extended warranty. Never got one, though my most recent cars have been company cars so not my problem. I'll own my Solstice forever--certainly the length of any warranty extension, and while we have high hopes it is in its first model year. Good idea, I'll consider a similar option.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
whitefang said:
RX-5's and s2000's have a "boot" Sol's don't.
Only British cars have a boot. :lol:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey thanks for all the info on the extended warranty. My husband and I have discussed it but not yet made a decision. You got some good points about it. Congratulations on getting your car, Enjoy!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts