Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
coool. I want one. Every power wheels toy I bought for my sons ended up getting a bigger battery. we had a small 6v 4 wheeler that I put a 12v in and that thing would burn rubber (plastic). I'd figure out how to put rubber wheels and a small gas engine on that puppy. Have fun.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Dude, pink is the new white! Some Lithium-Ions, an air suspension kit to raise it up to about 3 ft, a deck spoiler and some HID's.........Man, what a ride.............

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Criminy - I could see a typical Kappa owner modding a power wheel. (Particularly ME if I came across one like that!) lol

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
I'd wager your body is all polypropylene (I mean the car's body.) Rustoleum and Valspar both have a primer that is intended for use on PP. We (meaning the wife) have used the Fusion paint on PP lawn chairs with mixed results. I believe it would have worked better had: A. I painted it. B. Patience would have been used for lighter coats and a longer cure time before using the furniture.

PPG has a paint/primer system specifically for PP and top coats/clear coats for the automotive realm.

My recommendation would be if you don't expect show room results and exceptional durability, go with off the shelf spray bombs. However, you might be doing it twice if you want really good results and durability.

If you don't mind popping a few bucks, (and have your own spray guns) talk to a jobber about the PPG products.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CW, Thanks for the reply and the good ideas. :)

No spray gun, and if I don't have to buy one, mo better. That could cause more projects......never ending cycle :brentil:

I pulled the old vinyl off and the UV damage is unbelievable. Going to be some work to get it ready just for a top coat.

It also needs to be channeled ~2" and some new rims too! LOL At least I have a Vinyl cutter to gork with different ideas on the body.

Enjoy the Holiday!! :thumbs:

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Yeah, that UV fade is always remarkable on pre-colored plastics, especially red. Heavy metals were outlawed in the early 90's for pigments in paint, plastics, etc. so nothing red stays red. Paints are better, but plastics not so much.

Keep us posted on your progress. Soon your thread will be as long as RTE's "Punisher" thread.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, that UV fade is always remarkable on pre-colored plastics, especially red. Heavy metals were outlawed in the early 90's for pigments in paint, plastics, etc. so nothing red stays red. Paints are better, but plastics not so much.

Keep us posted on your progress. Soon your thread will be as long as RTE's "Punisher" thread.
I hope it doesn't get that long. :brentil:

Here is the UV shot and some dirt too!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Priced a few add-ons, such as new rims & tires for the rear and they aren't too high.
I did also notice that there should be room for mounting a WR, hmmm wonder what that will set me back? :dunno:

Right now I need to get a place in the Solstice Den for it to occupy. Been working on other Solstice Coupe STUFF and haven't put all of it away. :driving::party::cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I've had good results painting plastics with duplicolor. the finish comes out better than plain old krylon. and you can get it in metal flake if that's what you are going for. the duplicolor clear coat is nice and durable as well and they all have a nice fan spray. The cans are smaller and the cost is more expensive though.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Working on disassembly this morning........so many spider & wasp nests!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Houston.....we have Separation!!

Body and frame and other big parts on the garage floor.

I am going to need some GLUE for some of the hosed up bits.

CW, what is your recommendation?

Attachments

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,475 Posts
I am going to need some GLUE for some of the hosed up bits.

CW, what is your recommendation?
First we have to figure out what kind of plastics are involved in this little project. Then we can proceed from there.

CW, where are you?

SolNut, you have PMed CW, have you not?

It is so nice to have so many experts in so many areas present on this board! :dthumbs:

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He said it was more than likely polypropylene in post #8.

I figure he will be along soon to tell me how to work it.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
3M makes a line of two-part epoxy adhesives. The DP8005 would be the choice here.

McMaster-Carr

It's pricey but works. Don't bother buying the "gun" or tips for it. PM me your address and I can lend you one.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts