Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
'Cane ended up with a troubled car which is sad to see. It happens. I have a '12 F150 I bought used and have had zero problems with it. My son bought a '15 used and has dumped about $3k into it.

The water pump appears to be an issue on the Solstices (both GXP and NA) but not other vehicles the engines have been used in. Some (including me) suspect it may because the engine was originally designed to be a transverse mount front wheel drive and there may be heat conditions due to this application.

Flushing the coolant and additives have been recommended by some members here to prevent the water pump seal from going. It's hard to prove if it actually works but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, right?

·
Premium Member
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe 001136
483 Posts
Appears you have the same color in a cope, you happy with it?
YES. It gets remarks — it’s a complex color, very deep, and has the right balance of class & sass. Very pleased.

·
Registered
2007 Solstice GXP Mysterious
789 Posts
Big list. How many miles on the car when you bought it? Did you get them all fixed? Why is the water pump an issue on GXP models vs a base model? You know how you prevent water pump and heater cores from wearing out? Flush the coolant once a year or run Evan's coolant which I have done in every car for a long time....
Do pay attention. Having some fixed didn't matter, they STILL don't work. The car had 124K miles when I bought it, and it shouldn't matter. A car these days should give you at least 300K miles before it's worthless. Which mine now is.

·
Administrator
11,301 Posts
Do pay attention. Having some fixed didn't matter, they STILL don't work. The car had 124K miles when I bought it, and it shouldn't matter. A car these days should give you at least 300K miles before it's worthless. Which mine now is.
There sometimes comes a time when you have to recognize that you made a bad decision (or were just plain unlucky), take your loss, and move on. Otherwise you are just going to continue to make yourself miserable.

Reactions: chickenwire

·
Registered
789 Posts
There sometimes comes a time when you have to recognize that you made a bad decision (or were just plain unlucky), take your loss, and move on. Otherwise you are just going to continue to make yourself miserable.
There is no universe in which I will take a loss on the car. What bad decision, did I make, exactly? I am not making myself miserable. The car is.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
It's possible you got a lemon.They exist in every category of cars. Very sorry. So far except for yours the complaints are 'hard to get parts'. It was 10 times worse for my Viper GTS which were only 1100 or so a year produced.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I am at 145k right now and I love my Solstice. It sounds like you made a bad decision with this car. I have never had a lemon although I am sure they do exist. Do you have issues with your other cars?
The radiator just went in the other GXP. First repair this year. The passenger window switch went out in the Cadillac, which only recognizes the remote in the secret console compartment. That's it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I wrench on my own cars. Been watching vids on the water pump. Seems this is the only part (that I have found so far) that is a pain to replace. Can someone tell me what the engine coolant operating temp is on these cars? Haven't purchased car yet will have owner send a vid of it warmed up.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just think you should be careful and ask questions concerning any modifications that were put on the car. For instance just on the picture posted that the front rotors don't look factory. So what else might have been done to the car?

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,816 Posts
I wrench on my own cars. Been watching vids on the water pump. Seems this is the only part (that I have found so far) that is a pain to replace. Can someone tell me what the engine coolant operating temp is on these cars? Haven't purchased car yet will have owner send a vid of it warmed up.
On a 70-80 degree day my GXP can idle from 185-202. Outside temp obviously plays a big part.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I just think you should be careful and ask questions concerning any modifications that were put on the car. For instance just on the picture posted that the front rotors don't look factory. So what else might have been done to the car?
Not sure, as I said I know nothing about the car. A 65 year old guy has it now. I'm 56. I know us older guys tend to take better care than the average younger ricer type guy drifting it on the weekends. I could be wrong. When I go to see it it I will look over and check it out thoroughly. At 14k it 'is what it is'.Not extremely worried. If I were buying a 45K Z06 I would be a little more uptight.
Thanks for pointing out the rotors.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
A thought on the brake rotors not appearing stock. Sometimes we do something to a car because it has to be done. Sometimes we do something just because we want to, for reasons that may only make sense to us. We are often fond of saying, when asked for impressions of our choices/labors, it might not be what another would do but it is not their car. Happiness is like beauty, personal preference. It will be interesting to hear what you think upon your inspections and test drive. If I may say, be true to your own feelings and impressions. You are well prepared to set sail on the Solstice adventure. May this be a good craft to choose.

Richard Snipes

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
A thought on the brake rotors not appearing stock. Sometimes we do something to a car because it has to be done. Sometimes we do something just because we want to, for reasons that may only make sense to us. We are often fond of saying, when asked for impressions of our choices/labors, it might not be what another would do but it is not their car. Happiness is like beauty, personal preference. It will be interesting to hear what you think upon your inspections and test drive. If I may say, be true to your own feelings and impressions. You are well prepared to set sail on the Solstice adventure. May this be a good craft to choose.

Richard Snipes
Slotted drilled rotors are an upgrade. I personally only use slotted but since it's a street car the drilled doesn't concern me much.The man says it's 99% perfect and will refund my plane fare. My concern right now is it better not be 1)overheating, 2) tires need replaced due to age before I drive it home and 3) everything works.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,816 Posts
Slotted drilled rotors are an upgrade. I personally only use slotted but since it's a street car the drilled doesn't concern me much.The man says it's 99% perfect and will refund my plane fare. My concern right now is it better not be 1)overheating, 2) tires need replaced due to age before I drive it home and 3) everything works.
Good luck and keep us posted :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I have to say after reading on here and other research !'m a little concerned about the timing chain issues. Car has 47k miles but age of parts seems to be the culprit. How much does it cost to have the timing chain job done? I know I could do it myself but car would be down for a while and the whole point is to have a daily driver.

21 - 40 of 87 Posts