Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,816 Posts
My car is a 2008 GXP with 28k miles on it.
I had a failure of the waterpump sprocket bolts that had nothing to do with the OEM car as it came to me.
I decided to do the timing chain as i was going to have to do the balance chain anyways.
I must say the whole thing looked pristine (with the exception of the localized water pump sprocket damage) especialy the plastic guides which i compared side by side with the replacement ones.

In short i believe mine would have been fine for a long time to come had it been left the way i received it instead of me replacing the water pump as a preventative measure.

all that to say i really wouldnt worry too much about it now and just keep your ear on the sound of the motor.

Change your oil when the DIC tells you too and use a good synthetic.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
My car is a 2008 GXP with 28k miles on it.
I had a failure of the waterpump sprocket bolts that had nothing to do with the OEM car as it came to me.
I decided to do the timing chain as i was going to have to do the balance chain anyways.
I must say the whole thing looked pristine (with the exception of the localized water pump sprocket damage) especialy the plastic guides which i compared side by side with the replacement ones.

In short i believe mine would have been fine for a long time to come had it been left the way i received it instead of me replacing the water pump as a preventative measure.

all that to say i really wouldnt worry too much about it now and just keep your ear on the sound of the motor.

Change your oil when the DIC tells you too and use a good synthetic.
I haven't bought the car yet.. Going this Friday to do the deal. How much would parts run to do the water pump and chain assembly myself for piece of mind? I don't think the guy is going to let me pull a solenoid to check for metal shavings.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,816 Posts
I haven't bought the car yet.. Going this Friday to do the deal. How much would parts run to do the water pump and chain assembly myself for piece of mind? I don't think the guy is going to let me pull a solenoid to check for metal shavings.
I am not sure why you are si worries about the timing chain? There is nothing uniques or soecial about the timing chain on this car nor (in my humble opinion) are they any more probe to failure than other cars.

the water pumps are readily available and inexpensive to buy.
the labor is pricey if you hire a mechanic but that labor would be the same per hour as any other car.
Its more hours on this car than many that’s all.
Not all waterpumps fail and there are plenty of people running 100,000 miles + on their stock water pump and timing chains.
They are wear items and would eventually have to be replaced if you own any car long enough and drive it far enough, just like tires and brakes etc.
If i had to guess you are looking at about $1000 for parts and labor on a pump/ t-stat / related gasket replacement. Maybe $300 of that is in parts.

·
Administrator
11,301 Posts
I have to say after reading on here and other research !'m a little concerned about the timing chain issues. Car has 47k miles but age of parts seems to be the culprit. How much does it cost to have the timing chain job done? I know I could do it myself but car would be down for a while and the whole point is to have a daily driver.
My Sky RL has 92k miles on it, and is just showing signs of water pump failure. It isn't all doom and gloom.

·
Premium Member
3,816 Posts
Yes i wouldn't worry too much.
Keep in mind the internet’s bias towards negative confirmation.
It is far more likely someone would post about a problem looking for help on this forum than someone would post about “my water pump is fine”.
Making it seem like there are only problems.

·
Premium Member
3,816 Posts
You also have (from these pictures at least):
-Smoked Side Markers
-Venom Brace (front brace as you called it)
-There is a bit of blue in the engine picture. If there was a better picture of the ither side of the engine bay, you could verifiy but i believe those are the upgraded Bosch 3 bar sensors so you may have a performance tune as well.
-That looks like a sprint booster or something on the cup holder.
-There is a split plastic corrugated wire loom tube that is running from your fuse box alongside the hood cable that traverses across and above the turbo from the fuse box and on under the windshield cowl. Not sure what that is. Also, OEM there is some of that foil looking heat shielding on that part of the hood cable right above the turbo that appears to be missing.
Not a big deal, but just noticing.

It would be nice to see the underside of the car as if you have a Venom brace, the PO may have done the "trifecta" of Backbone, ProBeam and Venom brace. And wouldnt that be nice :)

·
Premium Member
3,816 Posts
Ooh! See if you can bring a mirror or something that lets you inspect under the car.
The original owner may have gone with “red” if the did the full brace oackage and that would be easy ti spot.
Good luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
You also have (from these pictures at least):
-Smoked Side Markers
-Venom Brace (front brace as you called it)
-There is a bit of blue in the engine picture. If there was a better picture of the ither side of the engine bay, you could verifiy but i believe those are the upgraded Bosch 3 bar sensors so you may have a performance tune as well.
-That looks like a sprint booster or something on the cup holder.
-There is a split plastic corrugated wire loom tube that is running from your fuse box alongside the hood cable that traverses across and above the turbo from the fuse box and on under the windshield cowl. Not sure what that is. Also, OEM there is some of that foil looking heat shielding on that part of the hood cable right above the turbo that appears to be missing.
Not a big deal, but just noticing.

It would be nice to see the underside of the car as if you have a Venom brace, the PO may have done the "trifecta" of Backbone, ProBeam and Venom brace. And wouldnt that be nice :)
What exactly is a Sprint booster? Seems there is some money in parts. The cup holder center piece isn't cheap.These seem to be the kind of mods I do on corvettes and Vipers but I hope it isn't a bad sign. Oh well , he claims he gets 30+ mpg on the highway. Hopefully that is true. If it has a tune that would put it at 290hp correct?

·
Administrator
11,301 Posts
What exactly is a Sprint booster? Seems there is some money in parts. The cup holder center piece isn't cheap.These seem to be the kind of mods I do on corvettes and Vipers but I hope it isn't a bad sign. Oh well , he claims he gets 30+ mpg on the highway. Hopefully that is true. If it has a tune that would put it at 290hp correct?
The Sprint Booster is a device that is wired between the throttle pedal and the ECM to make the throttle respond faster, People install them to make themselves think that their car is quicker, but the same effect results from simply pushing the throttle pedal dowm further. It is either snake oil or smoke-and-mirrors, but either way it is something i would remove immediately.

·
Premium Member
3,816 Posts
The Sprint Booster is a device that is wired between the throttle pedal and the ECM to make the throttle respond faster, People install them to make themselves think that their car is quicker, but the same effect results from simply pushing the throttle pedal dowm further. It is either snake oil or smoke-and-mirrors, but either way it is something i would remove immediately.
I actually liked the one i had on my last Solstice. However someone here recently posted an article where someone actually measured what it does.
Regardless of your experience of using it, what killed it for me was that you have a single, cheap chinese manufactured point of failure on your accelerator pedal. Being that it can theoretically fail "off" or "all the way on", it seems a little unsafe to me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Is it as easy as unplugging? It will begone for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,816 Posts
Is it as easy as unplugging? It will begone for sure.
Yes except where the plug is. If i rememeber it is inserted between the sensor receptacle on the top of the gas pedal and the stock plug.
Usually that means lying on your back under the steering wheel with a flashlight. As long as you are limber it shouldn't be too bad :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have no personal experience with one, but the installation instructions indicate that everything is plug-in.
I've had a Sprint Booster on my Solstice for 2 years and I love it. The throttle response time is a lot quicker, and you can definitely notice the difference when you switch it off. I've seen a number of negative comments on this forum regarding these, but still decided to buy one and try it out. I have a Toyota SUV with a Sport Mode and it operates the same way. I realize this will not increase HP, but it most certainly changes the acceleration and throttle response. This is reviewed on Mike's House of Mods on his Sky if you want to get an overview of it. Also, just checked and they are manufactured in Greece rather than China. I know this is a personal preference, but I'm extremely happy with mine.

·
Premium Member
3,816 Posts
I've had a Sprint Booster on my Solstice for 2 years and I love it. The throttle response time is a lot quicker, and you can definitely notice the difference when you switch it off. I've seen a number of negative comments on this forum regarding these, but still decided to buy one and try it out. I have a Toyota SUV with a Sport Mode and it operates the same way. I realize this will not increase HP, but it most certainly changes the acceleration and throttle response. This is reviewed on Mike's House of Mods on his Sky if you want to get an overview of it. Also, just checked and they are manufactured in Greece rather than China. I know this is a personal preference, but I'm extremely happy with mine.
I did say i liked mine. The issue of a single point of failure on a throttle was enough to sway me from buying another one.
It is a controversial subject here on the forum, but i flat out agree with you as i enjoyed it and like you, noticed and missed it when it was turned off.
Not attempting to sway anyones' opinion as this is as about as subjective a topic there is for this forum (worse than "what's the best tire" threads).

All that being said, if the OP ends up removing it, I bet he could make some coin selling it as they are quite expensive and rarely come up used.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Interesting....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Delayed response removed from signal activated 'Drive By Wire' and acts like a cable driven car. Obviously no HP increase but a better reaction time, just as getting rid of slack in a cable run car. The problem as some said would be failure but If not Chinese junk, I don't see how it could statistically be a higher failure rate than the OEM 'DBW' sensor on the car. I have seen these on other cars but never seen the controller laying on the center counsel, rather tucked up under the dash.
Thanks for the info. I will examine it closely when I get the car.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts