Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Thanks, I'll be heading there on Friday. Can't wait to see it in person.

I wish they wouldn't have the Solstice in those gates where you can't get up close to see it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Robrecht,
sizewise, what kind of impression did the car give you?
Is it tiny like a Miata or a Z3 or more bulky like let's say the Z350 or the Crossfire (wide as).
TIA

·
Registered
284 Posts
PS: I downsized all the pics to a low resolution (VGA, 640x480) and was going to post them all here but was a little confused by the download function. I guess that's to protect dial-up users from long delays?
What error did you get? What was the file size? I'll take a look at the attachment limits.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Troy Roberts said:
What error did you get? What was the file size? I'll take a look at the attachment limits.
No, no error. I was just expecting downsized VGA pictures to show up in the thread rather than as downloadable files but turns out they were still about 50% over your 100 kb limit.

It's relatively easy for me to resize photos on my camera to VGA but to go smaller than that is a pain with my limited software and limited knowledge of how it works. Some say you can do this easily with preinstalled Windows XP software, but I'm still driving FWD on my computer's learning curve.

BTW, thanks for a great website! Everyone appreciates all the work that goes into maintaining these chat boards.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
flatovercrest said:
Robrecht,
sizewise, what kind of impression did the car give you?
Is it tiny like a Miata or a Z3 or more bulky like let's say the Z350 or the Crossfire (wide as).
TIA
Actually, it seemed smaller than a first generation Miata.* I don't know the specs, so this is purely subjective. I'll ask my toddler when he gets home since he was lucky enough to be one of the first people in the world to actually touch this beautiful car.

*Little known fact: Apparently, the interior of a 1st generation Miata is actually bigger than the current Miata. Again, I personally don't know the specs, but I've seen this mentioned several times over at miataforum.com.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Those are some nice pics man, thanks a lot. it does seem to be smaller than a miata. but you think you had it bad with it being behind some ropes....at the Toronto auto show they had it up on a stage like 50 feet away, ask drakhamr(speeling?) for his pic to show what we got to see.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but as nice as it looks from the rear and side, I think the front end is ugly.

I also don't like the original Vette's that have a somewhat similar body style, but the C2 are the nicest looking vette's ever produced. I really hope they re-design the front end after a short few years while leaving the bulk of the remaining style intact. And as was already pointed out, the current front end is not license plate friendly at all.

Throw on forced induction and a sub $25k price tag and I'm all over it, even with the ugly front end.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Great close-up pics robrecht !

Dead-on front is probably the boldest styling angle for the Solstice. It's probably my least favorite angle too. The license plate thing makes it worse because it will mess it up more.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Very nice photos - the color looks lighter in these compared to other shots I have seen - think it is just the lighting?

In any regards, this is one awesome looking car. I like the front grille personally, but the profile is my favorite angle. Finally, GM has a car with almost no wheel gap!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
skeptic said:
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but as nice as it looks from the rear and side, I think the front end is ugly.

I also don't like the original Vette's that have a somewhat similar body style, but the C2 are the nicest looking vette's ever produced. I really hope they re-design the front end after a short few years while leaving the bulk of the remaining style intact. And as was already pointed out, the current front end is not license plate friendly at all.

Throw on forced induction and a sub $25k price tag and I'm all over it, even with the ugly front end.
Hey, skeptic.

Personally, I like the styling of the '56-57 Vette best of all, much more sporty than the '53 but prior to the bloated double headlights of the '58.

With these large wheels on the Solstice, I definitely agree that it's worth waiting for forced induction.

If you really can't accept the front end after seeing it in person, you can always hope for a different front end on the rumored Chevy Sportster, as reported in Popular Mechanics. The side fender vents are reminiscent of later Corvettes. Some people don't seem to put much stock in the Popular Mechanics rumors, but at least it is an interesting styling option.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/spy_reports/2003/1/detroit_spy_report/

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
2006solstice said:
Very nice photos - the color looks lighter in these compared to other shots I have seen - think it is just the lighting?

In any regards, this is one awesome looking car. I like the front grille personally, but the profile is my favorite angle. Finally, GM has a car with almost no wheel gap!
Large wheels and little wheel gap is very important to the overall appeal of the Solstice styling IMHO. Makes it look much more high performance and expensive than the Miata, especially early stock Miatas, which have a 4x4 look according to some owners (bigger wheels and lowered suspension are very popular mods).

It was a fairly light color in person (I loved the color) but it's really hard to make comparative judgements since photos can look quite different on different computers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts