Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
OMG NO!!!!
lol, taht looks very ugly. Here we have to have teh front one on, so i think ill just keep it on the inside of the windshield. Cut off the bottom part (not necessary) and have a smaller plate on the dash.
This is quite possibly teh single ugliest example of a licenceplate ruining a car. It sooo seems out of place.

·
Registered
383 Posts
ROCKETMAN said:
OMG NO!!!!
lol, taht looks very ugly. Here we have to have teh front one on, so i think ill just keep it on the inside of the windshield. Cut off the bottom part (not necessary) and have a smaller plate on the dash.
This is quite possibly teh single ugliest example of a licenceplate ruining a car. It sooo seems out of place.

I am lucky...even though I am supposed to have a front plate..I am on the border of two states that don't. So no one really pays any attention to it. I'll just carry mine in the cavernous trunk and pull it out if I get stopped.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah. I was thinking of keeping it in the trunk, along with teh mount. ANd than when i get pulled over for teh first time, just show and explain that car is new, bla bla bla, didnt have time yet... After that ill put it on the dash.

ps. i just noticed teh second pic is from here. Ontario plate.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Someone on here said they beat up their front licence plate all-to-hell and then tell the officer it fell off and was damaged and you are going to get the bracket repaired.

Yay for Indiana not needing a second plate.

I think the 2-plate law is VERY silly, because every state has a huge number of drivers (out-of-state) that don't need a second plate anyway, and THEY can't get in trouble.

Either everyone should have a second plate, or no one (no one, preferably, of course).

·
Registered
81 Posts
:eek: I feel sorry for any one who lives in a "Front Plate State"

I'm not gonna' run down the GM design gurus here, but that plate mount almost looks like an after thought.

·
Registered
168 Posts
ROCKETMAN said:
Yeah. I was thinking of keeping it in the trunk, along with teh mount. ANd than when i get pulled over for teh first time, just show and explain that car is new, bla bla bla, didnt have time yet... After that ill put it on the dash.

ps. i just noticed teh second pic is from here. Ontario plate.
I think the best explanation appeared on here earlier. Just take the mounting bracket and the plate and run over it several times. Throw it in the trunk (it will hold that much, won't it?) and show it to the cop on request. "It just fell off officer, I was lucky to retrieve it!"

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
9_Ball_Slim said:
I'm not gonna' run down the GM design gurus here, but that plate mount almost looks like an after thought.
Of course it was an afterthought.

For us in non-front-plate-states, we shouldn't have to have a focus for a second plate we don't need. Companies don't design cars AROUND a plate.

·
Registered
60 Posts
In the People's Republic of California, the front plate law is being enforced due to the addition of the state's newest revenue generator: the red light camera. The camera must take a forward shot of the vehicle to access driver and license plate so you cant go to court and say that you weren't driving the car. Without the forward plate, you get off free. You can see why the state wouldnt like that. It's not about saving lives after all.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Lillie said:
In the People's Republic of California, the front plate law is being enforced due to the addition of the state's newest revenue generator: the red light camera. The camera must take a forward shot of the vehicle to access driver and license plate so you cant go to court and say that you weren't driving the car. Without the forward plate, you get off free. You can see why the state wouldnt like that. It's not about saving lives after all.
It's silly, because if I run a red light in California and I'm from Indiana, they can't get me. They can only get Californians... so it's not 100% effective.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lillie said:
Yup, it's all about taxes. The second plate doesn't cost the state any more money either, since it is the motorist who picks up that cost. It's win-win for the state.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
This picture should be the poster child for getting people to call their states and end the "Two Plate" tag system. States spend millions every year producing two sets of plates for every car. You can make them stop. :patriot:

Here's a link to a Texas study. http://www.window.state.tx.us/tpr/atg/atgps/ps18.html

People's Republic of California
:glol: I love it!

·
Registered
138 Posts
You do not need a front plate for Red-Light Radar

We have a number of cities and towns in Arizona that run Red-Light Radar, and we do not require a front plate (Thank Goodness!). The cameras take two pictures, one of the front as it enters the intersection after the light has turned red, showing the driver's face; and a second picture from the rear showing the rear plate. This is pretty much the way most of them work.

Two great reasons to live in Arizona:

(1) You do not mind if your Solstice is not delivered until the end of September as it is still pretty warm to drive with the AC off anyway, and

(2) We do not require a front license plate to mess up the beauty of that car.

This message was paid for the Arizona Chamber of Commerce! (smile) ;)

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
It looks to me like the bracket somehow attaches through the grille, so I'm thinking if you just attach the top two bolts through the lowest holes of the grille, you might be able to significantly lower it.

Guess we'll have to see when someone gets a closeup shot.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Zilla said:
Everybody has been trying to figure out exactly where the plate goes... here is the answer:

We've known the location for quite a while now, even the accessory pics featuring the bra showed where it was gonna go. You've just posted the first pictures of a car ACTUALLY having the front plate mounted. Kudos for finding them though. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
i am in texas, but i refuse to ugly up such a beautiful car. How do i get the law repealed?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
:( That picture just makes me feel sad. I think this thread needs a disclaimer:

Not Safe for Viewing at Work (or anywhere else)

:leaving:

Just one more reason Michigan is better than Ohio :lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
AztekzRpurty said:
It looks to me like the bracket somehow attaches through the grille, so I'm thinking if you just attach the top two bolts through the lowest holes of the grille, you might be able to significantly lower it.

Guess we'll have to see when someone gets a closeup shot.
I don't think so, there is a dumby bracket behind the grille that the outer bracket screws into. I have closeup pics without the plate but it is difficult to make out the inner "dumby" bracket in the photo, but trust me from seeing it in person... there is a specific set of holes for those screws.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Zilla said:
I don't think so, there is a dumby bracket behind the grille that the outer bracket screws into. I have closeup pics without the plate but it is difficult to make out the inner "dumby" bracket in the photo, but trust me from seeing it in person... there is a specific set of holes for those screws.
Drats, but thanks for the info.

My revised idea:

If you took some bailing wire, you could wire the top two holes in the license plate to the lowest holes in the grille, then duct tape the bottom of the plate to the front lip of the radiator intake, significantly lowering the license plate.. :lol:

1 - 20 of 105 Posts