Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Why would you have to redesign the whole drive train? I have a 6 liter (366) LS2 and the rest of the drive train is stock except for the clutch. Besides the 5.3 is a heavier cast iron block.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Since you are taking pipe dream with a small V8, destroking an LS aluminum block down to around 5.3 is doable. The rod ratio can excede 2:1 with the right parts giving you a long lasting small V8.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Ditto on wishing a more compact V8 would be developed. But I've gotten the impression there are two camps. First camps is why because the LS is considered quite small.
The second camp also goes why because a 4 can be built to equal or exceed an LS by supercharging or turbocharging.

I'm thinking the best that will ever happen is a new V6, but shrinking the V8 just because a small subset will always want 8 cylinders will probably never happen. Speaking of 6s has anyone ever surpassed the popularity and performance of the 80s Buick Grand National V6s?

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
Why would you have to redesign the whole drive train? I have a 6 liter (366) LS2 and the rest of the drive train is stock except for the clutch. Besides the 5.3 is a heavier cast iron block.
I read it as he wants to put in a higher ratio differential to match the small V8

We both have small block V8s, LS 1,2 & 3 are small block motors.

Having seen a similar discussion previously I think its a nostalgia thing as opposed to pure performance.

Since you are using the stock drive train, have you had any concerns about the axles? Dave told me that the stock differential is fine but that the rear axles are only good to about 400 HP if pressed hard with stickey tires. He said I would be ok because the tires can not hook up enough to cause the axles to fail.:willy:

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
The only V8 I want in my Solstice would be a pair of LNFs on a common crankcase.

4 litre quad cam motor with around 700 BHP would do just fine.....

·
Registered
258 Posts
Pipe Dream for me would be to make a custom LNF V8. Mate 2 together with a custom bottom end. Only if I had unlimited money. I would then put that in my Kappa.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I read it as he wants to put in a higher ratio differential to match the small V8

We both have small block V8s, LS 1,2 & 3 are small block motors.

Having seen a similar discussion previously I think its a nostalgia thing as opposed to pure performance.

Since you are using the stock drive train, have you had any concerns about the axles? Dave told me that the stock differential is fine but that the rear axles are only good to about 400 HP if pressed hard with stickey tires. He said I would be ok because the tires can not hook up enough to cause the axles to fail.:willy:
If I was going to do the 1/4 mile, I would be very concerned about the half shaves, but I don't ever want to find out how much it takes to break something, so an occasional burst of power while rolling along for that thrill of being pushed back in the seat will keep me satisfied.
An other Sol with an LS3 did break a half shaft once.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I'll stick with the LS pushrod engine. More compact then a DOHC V8. no 6 feet of timing chain, and it already fits. I think the OP was not looking big HPs just a mild 5.3. :jm2c:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Weight, in a day an age where everything had an IRON bottom end!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Dog Gone Lowlife, I never gave thought to the Grand National! Great combo.
Buick Regal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For motor info read the; Grand National, T-Type, and GNX section. Remember reading zines back in the 80s of of how they'd terrorized drag races. However thinking majority of them were bought by Buick fans/hobbyist/collectors because the only place I've seen them is at car shows. Never thought they were that great looking but once that hood is popped the motorheads stop and :drool: to the sight & sound of the engine.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Weight, in a day an age where everything had an IRON bottom end!
My car's biggest weight problem is me...:leaving:

Yeah, but they also had that little bit of extra hp and torque over a 4-cyl. That's all I'm looking for. The Buick 3.4 or 3.8 would allow me to stay N/A and give the performance boost I'm looking for.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
There's also the Camaro V6 (LY7), 304HP/270TQ @ 5200rpm
Aluminum block, heads, pistons

Only benefit I see is power NA, but time & money could = LS. Questions is does GM (or aftermarket) ever plan on supercharging or turbocharging it, than it might be a decent compromise and offer characteristics of a smaller V8 which the OP was asking.

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
If you are just talking about a bump in output it is cheaper to just bolt a supercharger on an NA engine or tune the LNF engine. Same output, and no expense of engine swapping.

In fact unless you are one of the people that is in love with the sound of a V8 (or V6, or...) then there is no real performance reason to do an engine swap on these cars unless you are out for big power.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The current L99 and LY7 V6's are both taller and wider than an LS V8.
At SEMA last fall there were both Turbo and supercharged V6 Camaro's from the aftermarket. GM has a twin turbo version on the shelf.

My wife's first boosted car was an '87 Grand National. For it's time it was a powerful car. But, as a driver, it was only good in a straight line on smooth roads. Terrible chassis. Not a chance would she give up her GXP to go back to a GN. The GXP is faster and does everything better.

·
Super Moderator
7,514 Posts
rob the elder : I read it as he wants to put in a higher ratio differential to match the small V8 .....
If that is the case it should be a fairly easy change. Our drive axle is the same one that was used in the CTS et al, and is available in 2.73, 3.23, and 3.42 ratios in addition to the 3.73 and 3.91 ratios used in the Kappas.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts