Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gotta love Plastidip. I think I like it but can you add a couple more pictures? This might be a good weekend project

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotta love Plastidip. I think I like it but can you add a couple more pictures? This might be a good weekend project
I'll take more when I get the car out of the driveway. Too many cars and angles are limited. Make sure you peel off the masking over the front of the headlamp right after the last coat so you don't have to trim the paint with a razor. Mine are a bit jagged but hey I can always peel and repaint.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
on the fence with this - was thinking of doing this myself... thanks for the pics - more pics will help my decision and feedback to you. Maybe front & side view.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
hmm, I never noticed how much of the light was of no use at all. it looks OK. may even grow on me after a while. we'll see if anyone else jumps on board. and yes, just one of the many uses of plastidip. it's good stuff.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hmmm... I have a whole case of dip... maybe for fun when I do my winter dip-bra.

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Looks good Jackl!:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
The lights are one a the only things about these cars that bother me....I really don't like the pulled-back eyelid look. I bought some eyelids off Ebay to put on the Mean but the wife doesn't want them on her car...so they are sitting here unpainted waiting on me to decide what to do.

I thought about painting them and putting them on my Cool but I figured the change wouldn't be very dramatic going from chrome to silver. Apparently I was wrong! Thanks for the picture - would love to see more. I like the change.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
the more I look at the one pic, the more I like them... I think I might paint mine the same colour as the car (Sly) and mask them off the same as you have done...

·
Registered
573 Posts
Plasti dipped a few plastic add ons and liked it. I was thinking about doing the eyelids too. I know you said you taped off the line on the front of the headlight but did you tape off the side edges as well or just overspray onto the paint like they do in the dip videos and then it just peeled off along the edges (did that make sense?)? That was what I wasn't sure about how to do.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Plasti dipped a few plastic add ons and liked it. I was thinking about doing the eyelids too. I know you said you taped off the line on the front of the headlight but did you tape off the side edges as well or just overspray onto the paint like they do in the dip videos and then it just peeled off along the edges (did that make sense?)? That was what I wasn't sure about how to do.
I did mask around the hood area too. I used painters tape and carefully taped between the hood and headlamp. There is enough space to slide the tape in between and fold over. Then just use newspaper to mask around the area.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
on the fence with this - was thinking of doing this myself... thanks for the pics - more pics will help my decision and feedback to you. Maybe front & side view.
I added some new pics with different angles.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I've been thinking about doing this myself for a while. Don't really like the shape of the front Lenses in either the stock form or the coupe black form (which the OP's post mimics). I guess I was looking for something a little more aggressive - like the Sky headlight. Also - I remember a few years back Chris Nankoo did a wide body Solstice with mods to both headlights and taillights. Liked the tails better than the heads, but did not mind the heads on it.

Well, long story short - finally got out the plasti-dip and tried my own thing. Here are the results

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
King, I really like your headlights. Shows real skill and creativity. Love the aggressive look.
Thanks,
I've been thinking about shapes for a while. used electrical tape as a trial and decided it was ok this way. Maybe should have followed the trunk lines rather than the body lines on the tail lights, but can always cut it back. It's just plasti-dip. Headlights could have been more covered by aiming for the hood line rather than the body break line after turning the corner.

Actually, I wish Tony from ASAP graphics would do some decals like these, as I think they would stand up better than plasti-dip and be easier for folks wanting to change the look of their lights

·
Registered
363 Posts
I like the idea with the eyelids but its not color matched. It looks a bit cheap with the matte plastidip against the metallic silver of the body. I wonder if pearl/gloss coats wouldn't go amiss in making it closer to a match? I'd definitely consider trying this in black for mine.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think Seltzintor is on the right track with his comments. To look good, it should be a good match or a good contrast. Generally, any kind of mismatch will just look like something that has missed the mark. I also think black would look good. Its a good contrast and picks up the color of the grill.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Plastic Dip does offer custom color kits, problem is it could take forever (not to mention a lot of product) to make a matching shade. I was sucessful in using masking tape to give the headlight a more aggressive design by bringing the tape over the front of the headlight. But at the end of the day you could still tell the OEM headlight was underneath. Think the Sols headlights is the reason lot of folks like the SKY front over the Sol, SKYs headlights are more agressive looking. Only way our Sols are going to have a more aggressive or evil appearance is if a new hood is made and retrofitting some kind of new headlights. Possible C7 headlights.

Dip Coating & Specialty Rubber Coating | Plasti Dip Create Your Color Kit

1 - 20 of 36 Posts