Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it that differenciates between a roadster and a 2 seater convertable?
Is a T-Bird a roadster?

·
Registered
905 Posts
My impression of a roadster, is that it is focused on performance and it's intended use isn't one of a sedan. A convertible obviously is meant for pleasure driving without the need for much storage space.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Generally roasters are smaller, lighter, more performance. T-bird might be little heavy but generally all 2 seaters are roadsters.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Roadster = Convertible.

Mustang convertible is referred to as a roadster.
Corvette convertible is referred to as a roadster.
SSR convertible is referred to as a roadster.
PT Cruiser convertible is referred to as a roadster.

It has nothing to do with performance, number of seats, or even whether it's a truck or a car. "Roadster" just happens to be the $20 word this year.

·
Registered
146 Posts
good question, lots of answers

Just for fun..........

"Definitions of Roadster on the Web:

a two-seater open car of sporting appearance.
www.christies.com

An open-top, two-seat vehicle such as the Porsche Boxster of Corvette Convertible.
www.autoworldweekly.com

Any car with seats for only two and no top.
www.scaleautoracing.com

Roadsters are small two seat convertible sports cars. Some have removable hard tops too. A car like the Mazda Miata would be considered a roadster.
www.buy-and-sell-car-secrets.com

A two-door, two-seater, open car without roll-up windows and frequently fitted with a dickey (rumble) seat.
www.car-nection.com

A horse that pulls a bike or road wagon. Roadsters are judged working at a walking pace and at a slow, medium and full-speed trot.
www.showmenews.com :)))

an open automobile having a front seat and a rumble seat
buggy: a small lightweight carriage; drawn by a single horse
www.cogsci.princeton.edu

A roadster is a two-seat, open car, traditionally without side windows (possibly with pluggable doortops), so that even with the lightweight convertible top raised the driver and passenger remain exposed to the elements. In modern times, the word is often used to describe a two-seat convertible without fixed window frames, especially a light-weight sportscar. Here, the use of the name 'roadster' is more a marketing than a technical one, invoking the feeling of an open-top machine for enjoyment
en.wikipedia.org"

·
Registered
527 Posts
I stand corrected.

The pt roadster I was thinking of, turns out to be a two seat truck conversion.

Therefore roadster = 2 seat convertible.

It can still be a truck, and it still has nothing to do with performance. (although I would say performance makes a better roadster).

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Webster says:

An open car having a single seat in the front for two or three people and a rumble seat or luggage compartment in the back.

I know it is quit archaic of me, but I actually still have one of those large red books on my desk. :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts