Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Please help with price range

6K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  Dennis Frings 
#1 ·
Hey All, I'm an old dude who purchased a red GXP coupe new many years ago. It only has 3,000 miles, lots of which were from driving it home to Florida from Arkansas. It has been garaged all that time and is in shown room mint condition. I've been told there are very few coupes that have fewer miles and none in better condition. There were
three on the lot where I purchased it: a black one, a yellow one and my red one. I heard that the black one was sold by phone to someone in New York, and the yellow one was purchased by a guy in California who I believe had it transported there and may have the fewest miles of any GXP in existence. He may be a member of this forum. At any rate, it has been a pride and joy of mine, but the time may have come for me to part with it. I'm looking to the forum for some needed help with a fair price range in which to offer it for sale. It's insured through Hagerty and they offer some price assistance, but I feel it is extremely low considering the condition and low mileage. Alternatively, with an appropriate reserve, I could place it in the huge Kissimmee Mecum Auction which takes place annually only a few miles from my house. I have been out of touch with the market for several years and would sincerely appreciate any thoughts on this that you knowledgeable guys might have. Thanks so much in advance for any help! I really appreciate it! Gary

#2 ·
Well...a car is worth what someone is willing to pay. Not sure if yours is a manual or auto.... Manuals command a lot more. By a lot more, about $2500-$5k in the coupes. And of course, yellow also commands about an extra $2k. That said, I would guess if it's an auto, you're right around $30-$35k. Unfortunately, unlike the convertibles this year, the coupes seem to have lost a bit of value from what I've seen. You said you're in FL, which won't matter much because someone will buy it for your price because it's a coupe. Not sure if you want to put it in the auction will all of the fees you'll pay. You'd lose $5k on it easily through them. I do that as a last resort. List it online with autotrader, or some other collector website for what you want and see if you get it. If all else fails, the day you agree to run it through Mecum, pull if off of the ads.

You're going to get all sorts of different opinions on pricing. I've followed pricing very closely for 5 years. Coupes have been a bit harder to follow as they are usually all over the place. Just last week someone on Facebook bought a 2009 NA coupe in red with 80k on the clock for $15k.

Reactions: Sting Ya
#3 ·
I would list on Bring a Trailer. Last week there were two low mileage roadsters listed there. Both went for good prices. Fees on BaT aren't as steep as BJ or Mecum. You can set a reserve as long as they think it is reasonable. The listing has to be accepted but a Solstice coupe with low miles will certainly make the grade.

Reactions: kkerry
#5 ·
auto or stick ?

what are the last 6 digits of the VIN ?

we like photos .... :cool:

hopefully your car has air conditioning...

is the car still stock, or did you upgrade it in any way ?

#6 ·
you can look at this thread to see what others have been asking for their coupes...

#7 ·
You need to find a collector. Scar that has basically sat for 11 years can have a lot of issues that the average buyer will stay away from.

#8 ·
Thank you to all you guys for your input. I really appreciate it. To answer the questions, it is an automatic, with a/c, no modifications, and has the unused fabric spare top. It has just been completely checked out by a GMC service department and there are no issues. I've probably been very foolish in not enjoying it more. To heck with the mileage!

#9 ·
Depends on how busy you are. I'd make a list of the top 15-25 car collections in the country that might be interested in the car, and call them directly. You save the auction fees and so do they. Keep in mind what one of my grad school professors said - "The perfect sale is when both parties walk away thinking "Drat! He sure took me for that one!". JMO

#12 ·
Also what matters is your willingness to wait for your price (within reason).
In my experience, when ever I have scored a “deal” be it a car or a house or most anything in between it was because the seller was “motivated”...

what is it worth to you to give up your (car) baby?
I would start with that, then work towards what the market will bare. My gut is about $30-35k Sell price if you are willing to wait and $26-29k sale price if you are motivated to sell quickly.

just a guess as has been mentioned by otherspricing on these is pretty all over..

it is a particular person that wants a solstice and they are probably going to really want yours or not.

I myself just bought a second GXP to replace the one I sold years ago and found myself about $2500 above what I was willing to spend because it was the precise one I wanted...

best of luck!!!

#14 ·
Gary,

Sadly, IMO, Hagerty is the best* readily accessible source of info on a vehicle's price trends. But it's always tricky to set specific price levels for a specific car, as it involves a subjective assessment of the car's condition.

So I would value it at Hagerty's price for the car (-$1500 for auto trans, +$1500 for the soft top in your case--a wash) after an objective, highly critical scoring of the car's condition against their 'standards'.

This is because it's the condition (more than the mileage) that explains the $10k price difference between a 'Good' one and an 'Excellent' one.

Look at your coupe like you were a skeptical, picky buyer when you assess its condition. (Don't stay too hung up on the mileage; once you're past three digits it's a 'driven' vehicle, period--well, except for speculators...) Be harsh in your self-assessment. Because, like real estate, there are three things to remember about pricing your car for sale:
  1. Condition,
  2. Condition, and
  3. Condition

Again, that's IMO. For their part, Hagerty says:

So, IF your coupe is really in 'Excellent' condition, the buyer should feel pretty comfortable paying at $29k. (The dip in prices is clearly due to the pandemic and related economic uncertainties. I fully expect the coupe values will rise again when/if the pandemic is truly behind us; perhaps at some point it'll get back to $36k for an 'Excellent' specimen.) But you may have to wait for that buyer to come by. See my note, below*.

I acquired mine--much higher mileage but in unarguably 'Good+' condition--from the original owner, and its history (provenance? LOL) is available here on this forum. As a buyer, I wanted one I could drive without feeling like I was risking taking the Mona Lisa to a country barbecue. Plus all the standard mechanical and electrical issues had already been sorted and addressed. On that basis, and with price dings for the auto transmission and a (nicely installed) dash kit, my private party purchase price was pretty close to Hagerty's valuation. Could I have got it--or similar--for less? Sure. Patience is both a seller's and a buyer's best friend. I was quite ready to buy at that price.

Hope my opinion helps you out. Just remember, whether or not you're doing much driving--Maintain, maintain, maintain! And ENJOY owning a rare beauty for as long as you choose to do so.

Best to all.

*But: Keep in mind their prices probably don't account for most private sales; I'm guessing they're based on publicly tracked ones and (for those insuring through Hagerty) the 'agreed value'. So be aware most private sales will not hit those price targets, and public sales usually incur stiff fees.

Reactions: JohnWR
#15 ·
How bad do you want to sell it ,are you willing to wait for your price ? These cars are all over the board as far as pricing goes I've seen coupes go from 18000.00 to mid 30's .Do a little homework look at for sale sites there are a ton on the internet .As far as auction sites which to me are not realistic because you are dealing a lot of times with people who want a car and are willing to pay an unrealistic price to get it , if your familiar with Barrett Jackson watch one of their auctions and see the stupid prices people pay for a car .

#16 ·
You can price it for whatever you want. in 2019 a black GXP coupe that had 34 miles on it sold for 42,000.00.. There is no reason why yours should not fetch between 32,000 and 35,000 if you have a manual transmission. If you have an automatic you might get 25,000 to 28,000 for it. If you have the soft top add another 1,500 to those prices.

#17 ·
here is one selling for 33K with over 40K miles on it.

34k with 28K miles

32K with 1200 miles private seller

32K with 20K miles

you can see a trend. You should get between 32K and 35K for the car.

#18 ·
Here's my 2 cents. Gorgeous dark blue GXP coupe on consignment for 18 months at Street Side Classics. [ 5 miles from me. ] TWO THOUSAND miles! A/T. Asking $29,999.00. I was high bidder on Ebay at $18,000.00. After the auction I offered $25,000.00. They said owner would take $29,000.00. Vehicle had some very tastefull mods. but all original parts went with it including the original wheels and tires. That' a big plus. I think the owner took it home to VA. At $29,000.00 seller would have only netted about $24,000.00. My [ not ] GXP with A/T. I LOVE it. I don't consider shifting fun. I also have a Red Line. I NEVER stand on the gas even though it has Trifecta Performance. Just bought it because it was a GREAT deal! Black beauty. I have an 07 manual trans. for sale LOW 29,800 miles. Never any damage. $11,950.00
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle

#20 ·
I forgot to mention both the above cars have 30K on the clock. Both purchased in 2020. As long as I am typing I will throw another deal I made. Purchased from a dealer just before the coivd. Manual trans with 17,700 on the clock. Paid $12,800.00. Never any damage. Sold it in about 2 weeks on Craig's List.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

#21 ·
the reason why that one car was on consignment for 18 months was because it was an automatic. If it has been a standard it would have gotten the 30K. as I stated 25 to 28 for an automatic with that kind of mileage. Look at all solstices and not just the coupes. If you see a low mileage automatic it takes forever for them to sell. and typically won't if the price is the same as what the manual would be sold for.

#22 ·
internet sales has changed everything. back in the 90's i sold as many nice sports cars as i could get. usually sold in less than 2 weeks. Auto Trader ads only. i have no car lot. Sold 51 300 ZX and many RX7's MR-2's and I did real good with V-6 Fieros also. 1992-1996. Not one buyer balked at the trans, mileage or color. All brouht the same price. The buyers were a younger crowd. my experiance now is the younger crowd is not interested in Sky/Soltice. One exception. Sold a beautiful 04 Crossfire black coupe to a 18 year old. 24 K on the clock. I took a $900.00 loss on that one because I could not obtain a keyless key fob. Picky, picky, picky. Now trying to sell 07 Soltice on Craigs List. FIVE SPEED manual trans. LOW 29 K . 2 weeks, no interest. $11,950.00. Also on Saturn Sky and Soltice forum. Ya so now you are going to tell me it's not turbocharged.
Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Tire

#28 ·
I drive an 09 Soltice coupe A/T and a 08 Red Line A/T. both 30K miles. The Red Line has the Trifecta Performance. Owned it 6 months. I stepped on the gas one time saw 5-6 lbs. the other time I stepped on it a little harder, Saw 12 lbs. . Never a day goes by that I don't drive one of these cars. 30K miles and they don't sit. What a PLEASURE driving an A/T. I build HOT RODS. Have seven I built in my collection. One has a 5 speed. View attachment 112108 2008 is the last time I drove my 32. I just like building them and don't sell them.
This is the 07 i have for sale. Never any damage. New tires. Loaded [ not GXP] View attachment 112104 View attachment 112105 View attachment 112106 View attachment 112107 model! 5 speed. Light gray and tan leather. $11,950.00
SOLD this 07 Soltice to a dealer 4-9-21 $11,000.00 That should tell you what this car was worth. I most likely would have accepted $11,000.00 from a retail buyer.
@Dennis Frings

The Solstice you posted photos of. It has an interior that most people do not like. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty and learning how to do something new you can change that.

Get rid of the gray trim pieces in the car. Vinyl them with black. This completely changes what the interior of the car looks like.

I did a quick color change to the interior. You can see the images here. You will see the difference it makes.

It would cost some time and less than 100.00 to change the color if you do the work yourself.
Gray/Tan interior. My Granpa has a saying for guys like you. " If everyone liked they same woman they would all be chasing Grandma"

#24 ·
I would assume all these are USA prices. A Solstice must have a much higher value elsewhere. Here in Puerto Rico they are as scarce as hen's teeth. Years ago I imported mine (09) from Texas. Shipping and PR import tax (arbitros) drove the price up over $4000. I would assume that alone in addition to scarcity in PR makes the value much higher. I wonder if Canadian members can comment on price in Canada.

#26 ·
@Dennis Frings

The 3 things that effect the price and also the speed in which the car sells is the transmission, trim and if it is a coupe or not.

This is a list of what sells the fastest.

Vert manual GXP
Coupe manual GXP
Coupe automatic GXP
Coupe manual base
Coupe automatic base
Vert automatic GXP/Vert manual base
Vert automatic base

Craigslist is a waste of time.

AutoTrader has the reputation for having listings for cars that are junk, or have a lot of problems. This is what the reputation used to be when they had the magazine they printed. It may have changed since they are web only.

The cars seem to sell for a pretty decent price on bring a trailer. You can look for sites that taylor to "classic" cars. Which for some reason the Solstice is starting to get put into this category. I don't think the Sky is tho.

If you haven't had any interest in the car after 2 weeks there could be something wrong with your ad that causes them to lose interest. It could be not enough photos or the photos aren't that good.

Photos are the most important thing, when done right they will catch the eye and draw a person in.

#27 ·
@Dennis Frings

The Solstice you posted photos of. It has an interior that most people do not like. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty and learning how to do something new you can change that.

Get rid of the gray trim pieces in the car. Vinyl them with black. This completely changes what the interior of the car looks like.

I did a quick color change to the interior. You can see the images here. You will see the difference it makes.

It would cost some time and less than 100.00 to change the color if you do the work yourself.

#35 ·
I already posted this 06 GEM. ONE OWNER! 5 Speed manual trans. LOW 38,900 miles. Never any damage. COOL gray/tan interior. Almost $3,000.00 performance add ons. GM performance cold air intake .D D M back bone. Venom brace & fuel rail. Clear Image header & high flow catalitic converter [ passes NC emissions ] Megnaflow exhaust with reasonater added for a sweet sound. Kappashere aluminum pedals. Legal tinted windows. Clean FL title. Priced for a quick sale. $12,950.00 . Dennis 704 788 8225
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood
Leg Vehicle Comfort Automotive design Car seat cover
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Motor vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle
Motor vehicle Car Automotive exterior Gas Auto part
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive exhaust

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.