Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
came across this little tidbit here

That supercharged engine is a 2.0-liter version of the Ecotec four-cylinder, which is now powering all of GM's small cars in normally aspirated 2.2-liter form. The Performance Division destroked the engine, lowered its compression ratio from 10:1 to 9.5:1, bolted on a Roots-type supercharger (making 12.5 pounds of boost), stuffed in a Laminova air-to-water intercooler, and underrated it at 200 hp and 149 lb-ft of torque. That's right, they underrated it. Our Dynojet revealed the truth, which is an impressive 197 hp at the wheels at 6450 rpm and 169 lb-ft at 5250 rpm.

And it would be more if GM's engineers had more time. Check out the dyno chart. The engine crashes into its rev limiter at 6450 rpm while it's still building power. Rick Kewley, vehicle performance manager, high-performance vehicle operation, GM Performance Division (holy titles, Batman!), says this is because the engine hasn't been durability tested above that engine speed. Which is another problem Rick inherited from the original ION boneheads. He gives the same excuse for reducing boost slightly at high rpm. The supercharger is actually spinning fast enough to produce more boost, but the ECU opens the bypass valve slightly to keep peak cylinder pressures down at levels GM has already proven it can handle.

The two things that catch my attention right off the bat are the fact that the motor is underrated ( we all knew that ) and that it would make more ( maybe a lot more? ) power if the rev limit was raised and the ecu wasn't bleeding off boost. If I may be so bold, I say forget about the Miata, the Solstice is gonna clobber the S2000 if it gets the 2.0 SC motor.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah, the 2.0L Supercharged ECOTEC is a possible choice for the Solstice. But we've gotten absolutely no news about what the higher output version could be. I'm hoping that we'll get some sneak peek info at SEMA Show 2004 starting Nov 2nd. If not then in Jan. But personally I'd still rather have the engine that was in the Solstice Concept, which I believe was a destroked 2.4L ECOTEC VVT supercharged that produced 240 HP.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only problem with the 2.4 is that it has such a long stroke. 6400 rpm is about as fast as you would want to turn it. Also the 2.0 is almost making that kind of horsepower, 210 hp at the wheels is close to 240 at the flywheel is it not? Just imagine what the 2.0 can do with more rpm and no premature boost bleed.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The supercharged concept engine was the 2.4L destroked to 2.2L just like the 2.0L is the destroked 2.2L. If done correctly the VVT can greatly help the power output of the engine greatly. So just imagine how much more power can be produced from this engine.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Okay, I can't argue against VVT being a good thing. So here is my dream engine: 2.0 short block, VVT head and SC. Mod the ECU to allow more boost and RPM ( around 7500 or so ) and I will be as happy as a tick on a dog. :smile

If G.M. don't build it, I will. I plan on tracking this car heavily so I would feel more secure about running a lot of RPM's for long periods of time with a shorter stroke motor.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I’d be ok with the 205 rated 2.0L S/C from the IRL and Cobalt SS. I’d be even happier with a version of the 2.4L (likely de-stroked to 2.2L as was mentioned). Some strong rumors indicate the Solstice will get a turbocharged ecotec instead of the supercharged. They use turbo ecotecs in Europe in a number of Opel and Vauxhaul vehicles already as well as Saabs, so they have the technology to do it.

I won’t be greedy on how they get more power, just as long as they get more! :cheers

·
Registered
141 Posts
I agree with fFormula88. I'd really like a six, but any form of forced induction will be fine. I just want a little bit more than 170 hp.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
palmer said:
I agree with fFormula88. I'd really like a six, but any form of forced induction will be fine. I just want a little bit more than 170 hp.
Yeah, proabbly wont ever see a six in the Solstice though.
If you just want a bit more power, like 180-190 HP replacing the intake, exhaust and a couple other items, maybe an ECU upgrade you can hit that with all motor setup. Personally I'd rather see the SUpercharged version because I want always available power down low for autocrossing. I can get that from turbo too, but I don't want to have to keep the turbo spooled all the time to maintain it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
well the pulley ratio on the s/c 2.0 is 1.85:1 so at 7500 rpms the blower would be spinning at just under 14000 rpms, which is it's max rpm according to the charts posted on eatons website, so that would be perfect if the intercooler would allow it, now with respect to reliability, i'm sure it would be fine as long as you're not redlining every gear all day every day, and by then you're probobly making close to 15-16 psi of boost, if not more considering i've heard rumors of the pcm limiting boost higher up.

and there have been more and more people getting the Redline on the dyno, and it's consistantly seen 210 to the wheels. with a simple header swap to a 3" full exhaust, nice muffler, better intake, and the ecu tune mentioned to deal with fuel, and hopefully an RPM increase, i'm sure she'll take down S2000s like a champ! with relatively similar mods as well i'm sure.

also, the Red Line has now been driven to 14.5 in the 1/4, with a launch at 1,500 rpm, so with better traction i'm sure the solstice will be in the 13's easily with just i/h/e

1 - 10 of 10 Posts