Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is searching for right side front end parts for a 2007-2010 on this forum, they may have been involved in a fatal hit and run. Of course, they may not have been involved too. I know the victims family, and it makes me sick.

· Registered
1,102 Posts
I had heard about the Hit and run, but I had not heard a Kappa was involved in it. Disgusting news before I heard about it being a Solstice that killed him.
All I can say is who ever ran away from the scene is a coward.

· Premium Member
1,116 Posts
I am surprised the news article did not mention how they knew the make of the car. Raking leaves at 7pm I'd hope he was in his yard and not raking the side of the street. Here, on the lower east coast, Sunday at 7pm it was well into dusk. You have to know you've hit something. Around here it is scary how many people walk by, or in, the roadway, back to traffic, in the dark, wearing black. Over the years I've had several scares of seeing someone walking or cycling at the last moment and moving to avoid them. Truly scary, and coupled with the people who don't know they have headlights, even more so...dark colored car , no lights, in the dark...why? Left turn in front of an invisible car. We have to be aware. I have friends who have aged out of night driving just for these reasons. I am close.

This is a sad and seemingly avoidable event. I hope there is resolution.

Richard Snipes

· Registered
7,012 Posts
Sunset is "officially" 6:30 right now in Michigan. It was very likely dusk and I would suspect the victim was either in the street or near it.

I'd also guess that security cameras picked up enough to identify the make, but, as John said, not the color. I know my security cameras change to black and white when it gets dark out.

· Premium Member
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe 001136
667 Posts
I am surprised the news article did not mention how they knew the make of the car. [...]
From the story: "...it has damage to the front passenger side, including to the headlight and fog light assembly." To me this means there were headlight and/or foglight lens/trim parts on or near the scene or on the corpse. They would quickly ID the car from those parts. Hope the driver is caught and brought to justice.

Reactions: proudpants

· Registered
574 Posts
I have friends who have aged out of night driving just for these reasons. I am close.

This is a sad and seemingly avoidable event. I hope there is resolution.
I try to avoid driving at night. People - and wild game - are stupid.

As unique in the car population as our Solsti are, hopefully it won't take long to catch the culprit in this hit-and-run.

· Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
7,855 Posts
I mean think about it. the car is probably going to be registered somewhere within a 50 mile radius. how many solstices do you think there are in that kind of an area. 2 maybe 3 tops. I know of one other Solstice in my neck of the woods. Lazy ass cops don't want to go door knocking at those houses.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From the story: "...it has damage to the front passenger side, including to the headlight and fog light assembly." To me this means there were headlight and/or foglight lens/trim parts on or near the scene or on the corpse. They would quickly ID the car from those parts. Hope the driver is caught and brought to justice.
Exactly what I thought. I also wonder why the cops don't look up solstice owners in SE Michigan. As mentioned, can't be more than a few dozen, maybe hundreds tops.

· Registered
783 Posts
Obtaining search warrants aside, y'all have no idea how common these cars are here. GM gave them out like candy and nobody drives "foreign" cars here. There are days in summer when I see 2 or 3 coupes.

Heck, I know 3 people that regularly autocross Solstices (OK - one is actually a Sky,) and that's only counting the ones that are silver. Add in the other colors and you're up to ten (twelve if you count the skys.)

A 50 mile radius would almost certainly turn up over 1,000 registrations, many of which would be in Ohio and Canada, and I wouldn't bat an eye if you told me it was over 2,000 registrations.

That said, perhaps @WickedMike can put out a notice to the Michigan Kappa Club to keep an eye and ear out, if they aren't already.

Reactions: mcurrier

· Premium Member
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
6 Posts
Obtaining search warrants aside, y'all have no idea how common these cars are here. GM gave them out like candy and nobody drives "foreign" cars here. There are days in summer when I see 2 or 3 coupes.

Heck, I know 3 people that regularly autocross Solstices (OK - one is actually a Sky,) and that's only counting the ones that are silver. Add in the other colors and you're up to ten (twelve if you count the skys.)

A 50 mile radius would almost certainly turn up over 1,000 registrations, many of which would be in Ohio and Canada, and I wouldn't bat an eye if you told me it was over 2,000 registrations.

That said, perhaps @WickedMike can put out a notice to the Michigan Kappa Club to keep an eye and ear out, if they aren't already.
You are absolutely correct Phil. I'm in Oakland Twp, MI and it is rare day that I don't see a Kappa inside the 40 mile radius I travel within, regardless of the weather. In addition, I also know several Kappa owners, and none of them are on any of the related forums.

· Premium Member
2,515 Posts
I just heard that it appears the police are tracking down Solstices. An MKC member had them come to his garage to check out his car. He happens to own more than one Solstice and they only looked at his black one, although they had said they don't know color. There should be lots of kappa's registered within a twenty-mile area of the location. Hopefully this person comes forward.

· Registered
546 Posts

Sounds like a nice place

· Registered
5,165 Posts
I can attest, the police are going door-to-door and "kindly" asking to see your vehicle if you live within a certain mileage of the area. It hasn't happened to me yet, but I fully expect them to show up on my doorstep sometime in the next week to check my car. Luckily it's not in its winter storage place yet....

Reactions: WickedMike

· Premium Member
19,788 Posts
The Ring cameras store alerts on the cloud. For a police department to access that data, they must engage in an agreement with Ring who will get approval from owners before they turn over any video data. I have had the local police ask me if I had any video of a local event but they cant just go get it. If you local police department has access to your video data, you will first give permission.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts