Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
My wife found a Plymouth police detective’s business card stuck in our screen door yesterday. I left him a message and am waiting to hear back. We live in Livonia, maybe 5-10 miles from the incident.
So, I spoke with the detective Friday. Since I work in the afternoon I offered to park the car in the driveway so he could stop by and take a look at his convenience. I wanted to get this handled because the car is going into the shop Monday to have a few things taken care before storing it for the winter. As you can imagine, it wouldn’t look too good to tell him it’s in the shop! Anyway, he gave me his cell phone number and asked me to text him a few photos of the front end and was happy with that. We chatted a bit and he knew exactly how many Solstices there are registered in the county and the state, and it was clear they are busting there asses trying to find the perpetrator. So anyone who thinks the police aren’t doing their jobs should stop for a moment, apply an appropriate lubricant and remove their head from their ass. The absolute stupidity of this entire situation is that if the driver would have stopped, it just would have been a tragic accident. Instead, they now face a major felony.

·
Premium Member
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe 001136
658 Posts
[…]
So anyone who thinks the police aren’t doing their jobs should stop for a moment, apply an appropriate lubricant and remove their head from their ass.
[…]
Am in full agreement except as noted below:

Step One: Stop for a moment
Step Two [Optional]: Apply an appropriate lubricant
Step Three: Remove head from ass.

• Haha
Reactions: al_c

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
So, I spoke with the detective Friday. Since I work in the afternoon I offered to park the car in the driveway so he could stop by and take a look at his convenience. I wanted to get this handled because the car is going into the shop Monday to have a few things taken care before storing it for the winter. As you can imagine, it wouldn’t look too good to tell him it’s in the shop! Anyway, he gave me his cell phone number and asked me to text him a few photos of the front end and was happy with that. We chatted a bit and he knew exactly how many Solstices there are registered in the county and the state, and it was clear they are busting there asses trying to find the perpetrator. So anyone who thinks the police aren’t doing their jobs should stop for a moment, apply an appropriate lubricant and remove their head from their ass. The absolute stupidity of this entire situation is that if the driver would have stopped, it just would have been a tragic accident. Instead, they now face a major felony.
guy was probably drunk and didn't want a DWI. now he's in a lot more trouble.

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver.wicked coupe,dirtbike,4wheeler
2,564 Posts
I hope they are looking at other cars not just solstices. sky,older miata,S2000,porch, many cars are simular.and since they cant say what color it was.... it's a bad deal all around. and of coarse parts for these cars are not everywhere like most other cars on the road's. so quick fix may not be possible...depending what is dammaged on the vehice, a mazder miotta on the other hand.....plentyfull.

·
Premium Member
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe 001136
658 Posts
I hope they are looking at other cars not just solstices. sky,older miata,S2000,porch, many cars are simular.and since they cant say what color it was.... it's a bad deal all around. and of coarse parts for these cars are not everywhere like most other cars on the road's. so quick fix may not be possible...depending what is dammaged on the vehice, a mazder miotta on the other hand.....plentyfull.
The original story implies that they found bits of signal or headlight lens parts. Would make identifying the make/model easy.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
The original story implies that they found bits of signal or headlight lens parts. Would make identifying the make/model easy.
That is correct. Detective that called me said Parking light/fog light was broken and they took pieces to dealer, since part number is on it, and it was confirmed from a Solstice. He said mirror was also broken but I'm assuming they only have broken mirror glass. Now why he thought it might have a wrap, I don't know. Might be a stand still until spring!!!

Reactions: MFA

·
Registered
778 Posts
... Detective that called me said Parking light/fog light was broken and they took pieces to dealer, since part number is on it, and it was confirmed from a Solstice. ...
Hopefully they meant the side marker light or headlight, and not the parking/fog light that is shared with the Grand Prix. 🤦‍♂️

I haven't actually heard of anyone that actually witnessed the event, so if they're just going off the fog light... 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
From what I'm reading even though the Solstice shared the Grand Prix driving/turn signal assembly, the part numbers are different between the two.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The higher trim Grand Prix's could have a different part number. The bulk of the models share their part number.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
The higher trim Grand Prix's could have a different part number. The bulk of the models share their part number.
"Police said a man was struck by a car that’s believed to have been a 2007-2010 Pontiac Solstice. The color of the car is unknown, but it has damage to the front passenger side, including to the headlight and fog light assembly."

I too am wondering if they know for a fact that it was a Solstice or are basing their suspicion on a part number. I would hope that the parts department they visited informed them that the part number may have come from a Grand Prix. It was mentioned that broken headlight and glass mirror parts were found, but I haven't read if the broken parts were also attributed to a Solstice.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
7,775 Posts
The part number for the headlamp is on the headlamp housing and it is very unlikely that part of the housing made it to the ground. If the headlamp broke it is going to be the lens and unless a person has specific knowledge of the Solstice headlight assemblies they are not going to be able to identify a piece of the lens as being from a Solstice.

It could very well be from a Grand Prix and the parts department failed to inform the Police that the piece of the turn signal they found belonged to those 2 vehicles. Someone that lives in the area might want to give the Police a call and see if they can help the police in matching up the piece of the headlight to verify that it actually came from a Solstice. A simple inspection of the headlamp parts with a Solstice headlamp to use as a reference would help the Police in this matter.

If the Police have a piece of the lens and need the Lens from a headlamp assembly I have one I would be more then happy to send off to them so they can use it if needs be. I do not have a whole headlamp assembly but I do have lenses for both the driver and passenger sides. I also have a set of fog/turn signals as well if that would help.

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
Hopefully they meant the side marker light or headlight, and not the parking/fog light that is shared with the Grand Prix. 🤦‍♂️

I haven't actually heard of anyone that actually witnessed the event, so if they're just going off the fog light... 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️
The articles are stating that both the fog light and headlight were damaged, which suggests that they found pieces of both. It could well be that the part number from the fog light pointed them at either a Solstice or a Grand Prix, and the piece of headlight narrowed it down to a Solstice.

Reactions: MFA

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
When the detective called me he gave me the impression that they have a broken fog light part and the part number was verified to them, by gm dealer, that it was from a Solstice. He did say they found a witness. Problem is that it was dark and how accurate was the witness? He called me while I was in FL and I should have saved his number, since I’m now back in MI. But I didn’t! I don’t know the difference in the lens between a fog light car and the base parking light. I know fog lights were an option. I think gxp’s are standard with fog lights.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
wonder why they have ruled out 2006 Solstice's? That may explain why I haven't gotten a call about it?
It is possible if the lens part with the P/N was from a car without driving lights, it could eliminate GP's?

Reactions: WickedMike

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Well I was visited today by the Plymouth Township Police to look at my 2006. I am now off the suspect list.
I was told I came to the top of the list due to filing an Insurance claim shortly after the hit and run occurred.

So they are still looking

Reactions: Bama and WickedMike
21 - 37 of 37 Posts