Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just bought a set of the polished aluminum rims off a fellow member and I see they have some road rash. Before I try and buff them out, I was curious if anyone knows if the polished aluminum rims have a clear coat, or if I can just go straight to trying to buff out the scuff marks?

I was thinking of having them powdercoated, but I think i might the look of the polished aluminum over the chrome I have now, so might try that first.

Thanks

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,496 Posts
My understanding is that both the painted and the polished aluminum rims were clear coated at the manufacturer. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone! I'll give the clay bar and polish a try :) Good thing I didn't just go at it with the aluminum polish :)

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, I'm thinking of powder coat black for mine, but when I saw the polished aluminum I thought it might look better than the current chrome. I may actually remove the clear coat, buff and polish and have them clear coated again. I'll put them on the car as is though to see if I like the look (if so I may have the chrome ones powder coated ;) )

Lots to think about, but I'm gonna take my time to decide. I may even do the plastidip to see if I like the black look.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the look on your car. I'm not normally a fan of black wheels on a black car. I feel you start to loose any definition (if that makes sense). My theme right now is black on black though. I have the street edition lights, I"m about to have cartmann32 do projectors in them and completely black them out as well as side marker lights, fog/turn signal lights, reverse lights and tail lights (the tail lights won't be blacked out due to the law).

Because of this I"m thinking black wheels might just be going to far, but the plastidip will allow me to at least get an idea and I can do it on these rims instead of my chrome ones (Though I know the plastidip wouldn't hurt it anyways).

Thanks for the pictures though Rob :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts