Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, question i am about to remove the plasti dip i had on my wheels and i was thinking what do you guys use to polish your chrome wheels? and a wax to seal them in??

·
Registered
413 Posts
Careful. I saw some posts here that one should not use chrome polish at all because there is a clear coat on the chrome and the poster said you will be sorry. So Instead I just used some synthetic liquid wax.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Same for me. The liquid wax looks great and seems to last on the wheels. I have been doing it since I got the Sol.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Liquid wax it is thanks for the feed back. Any prefrense in what you use?
I do have meguires ultimate quick wax. Think that would get the job done nice?

As for applying do you apply like if where doing it to a cars body?

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Blue - that depends, how do you apply your wax to the car body? Circular is a no-go. If you get a contaminant on the pad you create swirls. Best to go back and forth in a linear motion. For the spokes on the wheels I'd go center to out and back. Rim area - follow the radius.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I use a good clay and clay lube on the exterior of the wheels whenever I strip, clay, & polish the car. After clay, I like using a few coats of Zaino Z5. With each wash after doing this, I just towel dry the wheels with no fuss. If I notice any water spots (happens a lot in the Texas summers) I hit em with a bit of DP Krystal Vision glass cleaner.

For the inside of the wheels, I used Never Dull and some elbow grease to shine them up. Only had to do this once (now I just towel them off after each wash, and wipe them down with a damp towel when they are off the car for rotations/etc...). After daily driving the car for the first two years, and seeing some pretty nasty weather, the inside of the wheels got a bit nasty.

The never dull did a pretty good job if you ask me

They hardly see any weather these days, and look pretty good for having almost 80k on them imho.

Good luck and enjoy the shine :cool:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never in circular motion. Always a side to side motion (a line motion)
I will try that out. never would of thought of glass cleaner. for wheels ill check out the Z5
The back of the wheel looks real nice.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Careful. I saw some posts here that one should not use chrome polish at all because there is a clear coat on the chrome and the poster said you will be sorry. So Instead I just used some synthetic liquid wax.

OK, so I remember reading that post. I 'waxed" my wheels this weekend. I used Nu Finish. Are mine chrome? Can I use Never Dull on them?

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I use a good clay and clay lube on the exterior of the wheels whenever I strip, clay, & polish the car. After clay, I like using a few coats of Zaino Z5. With each wash after doing this, I just towel dry the wheels with no fuss. If I notice any water spots (happens a lot in the Texas summers) I hit em with a bit of DP Krystal Vision glass cleaner.

For the inside of the wheels, I used Never Dull and some elbow grease to shine them up. Only had to do this once (now I just towel them off after each wash, and wipe them down with a damp towel when they are off the car for rotations/etc...). After daily driving the car for the first two years, and seeing some pretty nasty weather, the inside of the wheels got a bit nasty.

They hardly see any weather these days, and look pretty good for having almost 80k on them imho.

Good luck and enjoy the shine :cool:
They look awesome. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I use Mother's Chrome polish and they look great with no issues.:thumbs:

·
Registered
413 Posts

Ok that interests me quite a lot. I was under the impression that our inside rims were painted silver. In fact on another post I mentioned that I used too hard of a cleaner and some of the silver paint rubbed off revealing what looked like a black (base coat maybe) so I repainted them. Your insides look awesome in the picture. Do you remember going through a silver and then black look to get to a chrome?

In the other post I think someone said that the inside chrome was not very durable and "flaky" so for that reason and to provide some contrast, GM ordered them painted on the inside

Edit here's one of the posts:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72884

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Mine are certainly painted on the inside - a greyish color. I've never tried to 'clean' it off, so don't know if there's chrome under that, but I expect so. I also assume GM did it to protect the inner chrome from corrosive brake dust.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ok that interests me quite a lot. I was under the impression that our inside rims were painted silver. In fact on another post I mentioned that I used too hard of a cleaner and some of the silver paint rubbed off revealing what looked like a black (base coat maybe) so I repainted them. Your insides look awesome in the picture. Do you remember going through a silver and then black look to get to a chrome?

In the other post I think someone said that the inside chrome was not very durable and "flaky" so for that reason and to provide some contrast, GM ordered them painted on the inside

Edit here's one of the posts:

Removing Clear Coat From Factory Wheels - Pontiac Solstice Forum

I do not think there was any paint on the inside of the wheels. I did not notice a black or dark base/primer. I tested the waters on the blades of one wheel close to the center. In case something did go wrong, it was in an area no one would see. I tried a few different things (other metal polishes), before deciding Never Dull got the best result. So then I did the Blades of one wheel to get the process down (once again, an area you cannot see when the wheels are on the car). Before moving on to do the whole thing.

As a note, I do not use any harsh chemicals, over the counter wheel sprays, or acid based cleaners on wheels (exception being overspray from degreasing the under carriage once).

Could there be differences in the wheels based on year and/or production run (mine being a ’06)? Maybe they were treated/coated in different methods? I don’t know.

If the wheels are painted, the only way I can think to care for them would be by using a good rubbing compound and DA polisher to get them cleaned up. Then polishing/waxing them and maintaining the polish/wax just as you would the paint on any of the cars surfaces.

All that said, as best I can tell the inside of my wheels are a bare surface.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
My wheels don't get very dirty, unless I unexpectedly get caught in a rain, or can't avoid a puddle. When that happens, I wipe them off with a wet cloth, then rinse with spot free water. Usually, they just get pressure washed with rinse water, then rinsed again with spot free. After 10k miles and 2+ years, they look great.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Tugeaux, your wheels look awesome. I definitely have paint on the inside of mine. It is peeling, discolored and simply won't come clean. This winter I am going to strip the paint off inside and polish them.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a few spots inside the wheels that are showing chrome underneath. Since I do furniture stripping with this special stripper I get from New York, I know it would take that paint off without harming the chrome underneath. :) I haven't had the nerve to try it yet though because I'm afraid I might not like the results of seeing total chrome.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts