Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips on keeping the polished wheels looking polished? I just picked up Mothers wheel polish but want to know if there is anything better out there for the wheels.

Also, I am looking for a product that really keeps the tires looking wet..I contacted a company out of Ohio that has a product called Elite and was used on my car when I picked it up from the dealer but there are no distributors in my area...any thoughts/suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
wannasolstice2 said:
Any tips on keeping the polished wheels looking polished? I just picked up Mothers wheel polish but want to know if there is anything better out there for the wheels.

Also, I am looking for a product that really keeps the tires looking wet..I contacted a company out of Ohio that has a product called Elite and was used on my car when I picked it up from the dealer but there are no distributors in my area...any thoughts/suggestions?
I used the clay bar on them as part of my Zaino treatment, just like the rest of the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
wannasolstice, I have used many products out there for tires and paint.I will say that on my S-80 Volvo the brake dust is terrible and I have found that a product called P21S in the best I have used ( non-acidic) base. It comes from Germany, this product will do a great job for cleaning your rims prior to applying any Mothers ect. I have used the Mothers Mag polish and it works well on all aluminum type ect. rims.

I have just started using the Elite product and it seems to work good and appears to last longer than the other brands out on the market, but I want to give it alonger time frame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
wannasolstice2 said:
I just picked up Mothers wheel polish but want to know if there is anything better out there for the wheels.

Check your wheels before you use that. Most factory (OEM) polished wheels have a protective clear coat. The Mothers wheel is only for non-coated wheels.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
A good coat of what ever wax or polish you use on the rest of car would work well. Since we have discs all around all 4 wheels will gather dust quickly and neeed to be kept clean, fortunately for cleaning purposes there are few spokes and only outside is polished, not inside which may cause extra dirt buildup on inner portions of rims?

On tires I use a foam product called No Touch from Permatex.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
LBJay said:
Check your wheels before you use that. Most factory (OEM) polished wheels have a protective clear coat. The Mothers wheel is only for non-coated wheels.
:agree: These wheels are more than likely painted with a tough clear coat from the factory. You won't want to touch that with any kind of metal polish.

Just wax the paint as you would the rest of the car, and stay on top of keeping them clean. They will accumulate brake dust, but if you don't let it go weeks and weeks where it will build up and cake on, it should just easily wash off as any other dirt would that gets on your car with a good wax job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did a test using Mothers aluminum polish...these wheels are definitely not painted...I did not see a noticeable difference with it on vs. without it...therefore, I will go with using the wax on the rims idea...

I think somewhere in my imagination I was going to get these rims so bright that they would radiat some unearthly ray of light!!! They're shiny enough.

Thanks all!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
wheel polish

The flat out best polished aluminum polish system is Flitz. They sell a drill mount buffer wheel for about 20 dollars. This is the best system known to us motorcycle folks that have tons of this metal to keep pretty. Flitz is on the web. This takes a hand polish job on a wheel from 30 minutes to 5.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
I am fairly certain the car I drove had clear coated, polished wheels. They certainly were not bare metal. I'd be VERY cautious about using a wheel polish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
tls3028 said:
The flat out best polished aluminum polish system is Flitz. They sell a drill mount buffer wheel for about 20 dollars. This is the best system known to us motorcycle folks that have tons of this metal to keep pretty. Flitz is on the web. This takes a hand polish job on a wheel from 30 minutes to 5.
:agree: It might be what your talking about for that :cool: shine.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
2,574 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I am fairly certain the car I drove had clear coated, polished wheels. They certainly were not bare metal. I'd be VERY cautious about using a wheel polish.
What advice for the stock chrome wheels? Are they coated also? What's best for them? :willy:
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top