Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, a small flame war popped up in another thread. A frequent-posting member made a (probably) innocent joke that ruffled "long-time member, 8 time poster's" feathers. There was a suggestion that the discussion be moved to another thread. Here it is, along with my views, in case anyone cares:

As far as I'm concerned, we as a society have nurtured political correctness way too far, and as a result the average person is rediculously thin-skinned and easily offended. You never know what will set someone off, so you have to constantly walk on eggshells in all professional environments, and many social environments.

So far on this forum, I've seen a few members get keyed up, to varying degrees, about comments they saw as disparaging. Those comments have been loosely based on stereotypes and generally meant only "tongue-in-cheek." Specifically I'm talking about the term "chick car", the generalization that women prefer not to have to stir their own gears, and most recently the comment "I don't watch Oprah because I'm not gay."

Personally, I think it's rediculous to be offended by comments that weren't meant to be offensive in the first place. Maybe it's because I'm laid back and have the "sticks and stones... " attitude. Maybe it's because I appreciate the homophobe's sense of humor, and generally agree with most of the opinions he posts ...just kidding, Hitler, you may not be a homophobe. (oh boy, here come the flames from the German and Jewish communities)

While I do think there's a call for some degree of civil conduct in a forum, I don't think I want to deal with being so uptight as to have to carefully comb over every post I compose to be sure it couldn't possibly offend anyone. The way I see it, PERSONAL attacks should be taken off-line. Comments that may offend a certain demographic without singling anyone out should be taken with a grain of salt unless they are obviously said in a hateful context rather than just for humorous effect.

But hey, maybe I've been de-sensitized too much. Maybe I watch too much of Chapelle's show. The way I see it, racism, sexism, and homophobia are just about the highest forms of ignorance there are. We should all get to know one another individually. There are plenty of good reasons to hate most people on a one-by-one basis.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Preach it my brother!! :agree

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
:agree

I agree with what you are saying. The comments that have been found offensive on here have in no way been meant to be offensive, and really should not have been taken as such.

However, we obviously have had some people offended. Now that isn't necessarily a problem either, as you cannot please everyone all the time. The problem is the susepctibility of such issues to degrade into flame wars in no time.

I have seen arguments start over similar misunderstandings which end in people getting banned at the end of large flamewars, and other people leaving the forum and not coming back, and sometimes those people are some of the forums best members.

First of all, I think people need to try and have a thick skin online. Most people are not on internet forums trying to be offensive and insulting to other groups. If someone gets offended, they really need to step back, take a breath, and decide if it is a case of someone being offensive, or whether they are maybe misreading something.

Now if that person is still offended, I would hope they take the issue up in private mail with the person who offended them, or ask politely for that person not to use the terminology.

Finally, I would hope that people keep their feelings under control and try not to start flame wars, and instead work to diffuse the situation. For the good of the forum, for the fun the forum normally is, and simply because its pretty pointless to get into these flame wars.

I am sure Troy would appreciate it too. He has provided us a great forum here, and has been very busy lately getting it back up and running after the server crash. I doubt he wants to have to come on here to clean up pointless flame wars, and he should not feel compelled to have to appoint a bunch of moderators to babysit.

So far so good I think!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Sorry to have created such a controversy, but a short (flame-free) note and then I'll be done with it. I was not so much offended as annoyed. Stereotyping is so rampant in our world today that it is often the root of larger problems.

But I do find it interesting that those other than the author know for a fact how it was meant. Therein lies the problem with this medium! In a situation where we were all sitting around a table, I would not have liked it any more, but I would have had the advantage of looking the person in question in the face and knowing immediately whether it was meant totally in jest or not. That's why it's best to keep that stuff out of posts. :rolleyes

·
Registered
281 Posts
i think the best course of action, if and when you get offended, is to keep your e-mouth shut. :jester nothing and no one is served well by voicing our dismay over a comment unless it was directed solely at us, personally. thats what i do, and im a member of a group thats been slighted more than any other on this forum. :thumbs for the noobs, im in the UAW. to expect tolerance from others, we must first become tolerant ourselves.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
:lurk
Very interesting. I think I'll save my wordy dissertations for another thread, things are under control here.

"My job is finished here."

WHOOOOSHHHH! (up... up... and away! - no comments about the tights, please!!!)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well let's see how many people I can offend here real quickly...

:smile : could be offensive to the 'People Against the Placement of Yellow Faces'.

:mad : could be offensive to the 'Red Faced Flame Throwers' out there.

:jester : obviously offensive to the 'Folks who Love to Wear Crazy Hats'

:devil : offends the 'Horn-Headed People of America'

:thumbs : offends 'Big Thumbed People of North America'

Shall I continue?
Give me a break! Everything can offend someone wheather it's a known stereotype or not. AND Wheather it was said to offend or not.

I don't care who you are or what rock you crawled out from under, but you can open your mouth wide and stick your foot right into it, whenever you first decide to make a post on a forum. ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you put in writing is up for scrutiny.

However, there comes the little bit of common sense that it also takes to READ what others have written, and make your point as you wish about the topic at hand, without creating havoc like this has.

If you get offended, PM the person who offended you or Lighten up and laugh a little, and go on with life. Heck it's even possible to have someone directly offend you to your face and laugh it off. But I guess that just depends on the type of person you are and the level of your own self esteem.

:rant : And Who might this offend???? You never know do you?

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
You don't get it :( You don't have to make your point at the expense of someone elses feelings if you put your brain in gear first.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
solsticeman said:
:lurk
Very interesting. I think I'll save my wordy dissertations for another thread, things are under control here.

"My job is finished here."

WHOOOOSHHHH! (up... up... and away! - no comments about the tights, please!!!)
Awe, no comments on those purdy tights? But there is SO much to say about them! :lol :jester

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Reminds me of Spiderman 2:

In the elevator scene:

“Cool Spidey outfit." The elevator passenger says.

"It gets a little itchy," Spiderman replies. After a pause, "It rides up in the crotch a little bit, too."

·
Registered
281 Posts
nighttripper said:
You don't get it :( You don't have to make your point at the expense of someone elses feelings if you put your brain in gear first.
you should at least quote the person you are talking to. that way, only that person can be offended by your comment. :thumbs

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
BIZZ The "You" in my statement is plural :jester Time to move on. I feel for you being UAW. I'm in the CAW. :cheers

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Holy Guacamole.

There obviously hasn't been enough Solstice news lately and we are really getting bored. :crazy

My apology and explanation is now posted in the thread where I originally ruffled everyones feathers.

I sincerely hope my explanation doesn't set off another round!

After all the ribbing I take from you Aztekophobes, you guys need to cut me some slack!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AztekzRpurty said:
Holy Guacamole.

There obviously hasn't been enough Solstice news lately and we are really getting bored. :crazy

My apology and explanation is now posted in the thread where I originally ruffled everyones feathers.

I sincerely hope my explanation doesn't set off another round!

After all the ribbing I take from you Aztekophobes, you guys need to cut me some slack!
Just for that, we shall insult your Aztek again!! :devil

j/k of course! :jester

·
Registered
281 Posts
nighttripper said:
BIZZ The "You" in my statement is plural :jester Time to move on. I feel for you being UAW. I'm in the CAW. :cheers
move on? well thats no fun. i cant get over the irony of your offensive statement. :crazy

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Bizz said:
move on? well thats no fun. i cant get over the irony of your offensive statement. :crazy
I live for irony, ironicly :lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts