Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Will you drive your Solstice in winter (if you live in a region that gets snow)

• Yes, my Solstice will be driven year round. Snow tires are my friends.

Votes: 240 32.4%
  • No, I will park the Solstice, and have a second vehicle for winter duty

Votes: 326 44.0%
  • Whats snow? I see sun and nice weather year round and will enjoy it in the Solstice

Votes: 175 23.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Poll question time. :)

This is geared at mainly the northern members who live in areas that get snow. Will you be driving your Solstice in the winter? Or will you have a seperate winter car?

I was just curious to see what percentage we would get one way or the other since this car does not appear to be the best vehicle for winter useage.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well considering Im only 19 and im no rich kid and i have have to purchase this car on my own and make the payments on my own. I will more than likely be driving it year round. Unless i find the $500 special and drive it for the winter and park the car. But that sux because im from michigan and the weather cant be predicted for more that 3 hours in advance lol ::LOL:: There are many times that its ok to drive the car in the winter, but if i park it then i drop the insurance and it sits and i cant drive it whether its nice or not. So im broke payin for a sweet car but drivin a POS. If im gonna pay for a hot car and be broke i wanna be able to show it off and have a reason to be broke

·
Registered
178 Posts
For me, the Solstice is a second car. We'll continue to use the other car as a primary vehicle in the winter and use the Solstice whenever the need arises.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I drive my Miata year 'round, don't think I'll change. I hope that Tire Rack markets a wheel/tire package in minus-1 sizing.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I echo Luc's comments. I'll primarily drive my other vehicle in the winter, and drive the Sol when the need arises. Winter '05-'06 I'll be in Monterey, CA, so it'll be a moot point. After that, who knows... I might wind up in Anchorage, AK. Hoping for Germany though. Either way, I'm looking at snow from '06-at least '09 in the winters.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I guess I am a bit of an inbetween guy. I will drive the solstice all winter long, but when there is a fresh snowfall and the roads are screwed up I will drive my pickup.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I live in FL, so even in the Winter it's not like it's that cold. :D
I already drive with my windows open and moonroof back pretty much all the time. Usually not in the morning because that's when it's the coldest, but by the afternoon the weather's usually good enough.

·
Registered
82 Posts
brentil said:
I live in FL, so even in the Winter it's not like it's that cold. :D
I already drive with my windows open and moonroof back pretty much all the time. Usually not in the morning because that's when it's the coldest, but by the afternoon the weather's usually good enough.
Man that cold weather must kill you. I couldnt survive it. Around here it gets all the way up to the mid teens in the middle of the winter

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
goalscore247 said:
Well considering Im only 19 and im no rich kid and i have have to purchase this car on my own and make the payments on my own. I will more than likely be driving it year round. Unless i find the $500 special and drive it for the winter and park the car. But that sux because im from michigan and the weather cant be predicted for more that 3 hours in advance lol ::LOL:: There are many times that its ok to drive the car in the winter, but if i park it then i drop the insurance and it sits and i cant drive it whether its nice or not. So im broke payin for a sweet car but drivin a POS. If im gonna pay for a hot car and be broke i wanna be able to show it off and have a reason to be broke
Same here, except I'm 18.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
goalscore247 said:
Man that cold weather must kill you. I couldnt survive it. Around here it gets all the way up to the mid teens in the middle of the winter
It's Florida, the average coldest temp this winter was high 50's/low 60's in the morning, and it usually got to the mid 60's by the afternoon.

I can actually tolerate the winters up north better then I can here in FL when it gets below the 40's here. It's because when the wind is blowing and the humidity is in the 90%+ range it's just freezing. I loved Winter up in Vermont because the lack of humidty in the air. It's amasing how much colder it makes it feel when the air is full of water. Some people might not know it, but it can actually hit 100% humidity without it actually raining. It happens here all the time in the Summer.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I drive my Miata year round. I had to install 4 snow tires to maintain handling, but I have never had a problem with the snow. My Miata handles as good, if not better, than my wife's Alero in the snow. I plan to drive my Solstice until the snow gets too deep for ground clearance then I'll drive my S-10.

·
Registered
58 Posts
:agree: mceb, the car for me is a keeper (especially if I can get one of the first 1K). So it will sit in a heated garage through the winter, and rainy days she won't come out either. Now if a coop with F/I, turbo etc. comes out later then I may go for that too, but then it would have to be a daily driver.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'll be getting plenty of winter driving time on my Solstice..... when I finally get one ;) . I don't know if I'm hardcore enough to take it snowboarding though LOL, I think I'll rely on a buddy to gimme a ride to the lifts, or just buy the bus/ticket package.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am somewhat torn on the issue myself. Ideally I would have the Sol as a summer only car. However, I am not sure that is how it will ultimately work out.

·
5,600 Posts
The Solstice will be treated as a keeper, seeing 3 season duty only and being benched to protect it from the corrosive San Francisco Fog. When it is foggy out, the Solstice has to stay in and play. The same for rain.

·
5,600 Posts
mceb said:
Wow, lots of 2nd car people so far.
The lack of trunk space all but precludes the daily driver and guarantees there will be lots of 2nd car people. I think there are going to be some great Solstice car clubs, because IMHO most who own one will own it for fun, not for work or for daily duty.

·
Registered
178 Posts
mceb said:
Wow, lots of 2nd car people so far.
Why are you surprised at this? Making a Solstice a primary car would be difficult even if you don't have a family. The lack of a back seat and trunk space means that you need another car. Just doing your groceries could become a challenge with the Solstice.

I view the Solstice as a "toy" (yes, a very expensive toy, but really just a toy). The reason why it's a "toy" in my mind is that it should be fun to drive short distances but can't really use it for longer trips. I also can't use it to drive to work (from the sound of things, I couldn't even pack my laptop bag in the trunk). I also won't be able to use it to go to Home Depot unless I'm just buying nails or screws.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the fact that it is a fun car. At this time, I'm not looking to buy a daily use car, but rather a fun car to drive that won't cost too much that I can take out when ever it's nice outside.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts