Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Will you drive your Solstice in winter (if you live in a region that gets snow)

• Yes, my Solstice will be driven year round. Snow tires are my friends.

Votes: 240 32.4%
  • No, I will park the Solstice, and have a second vehicle for winter duty

Votes: 326 44.0%
  • Whats snow? I see sun and nice weather year round and will enjoy it in the Solstice

Votes: 175 23.6%

• Total voters
121 - 140 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
snow no problem

I told my wife this would be my main transport since my son will be getting his card to drive this summer, so the other day when it started to rain then heavy snow I had to take it out, guess what? I felt safer in it then I did in my big old F150 the wide base low to the ground feel to me made me feel more in control of the vehicle (salt stains on the top suck) but hey it is still fun to drive in the snow. rph

·
Retired Free Range Sols
9,964 Posts
:agree: It's a blast to drive in the snow, sleet, rain, which we ran through Saturday-and not in ways most drive to and from work :) Never even thought about breaking loose, stuck to the road like glue :D

Around here, even when we had 2-4 inches on the ground, never hesitated, never had the feeling of potential disaster like I had in the TA, or the big van!

·
Registered
49 Posts
My commuter car is a Chevy S-10 pickup because I take my dogs to work with me. Therefore my Solstice is a sunny weekend car for me!! And being from the NW, there are only a few months out of the year that I get those. I've had my Sol since Oct 1, 2005 and only have 1,600 miles on it...but the summer is FINALLY coming so I'll be adding the miles on now! :D

·
Registered
326 Posts
it'll be my winter car of course.
FL summer is rainy and hot, top up, A/C blasting

·
Registered
449 Posts
No Way!

I've got a big old Dodge Dakota pickup for bad weather. My Sol, Spooky will stay a true "Fun N The Sun" ride. Plus storing her all winter you get better insurance rates. Honestly I wish I lived in a warm and sunny all year round climate . :cool:

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
I just love posting this picture XMM in front me in the Middle and AR checking out my butt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Buffalo Solstice

I got my Solstice in November of 2005 and though it was a MILD winter in BUFFALO NY, I plan to drive it all year long. It handled BEAUTIFULLY last year in the snow we did have.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Other than washing, my Sol has not yet been wet. Only comes out on warm, sunny days. Talked to the neighbor across the street yesterday who goes south for the winter about renting her garage to park my Sol. She said I could use it for free :) :) Now all my vehicles will be out of the weather all winter :cool:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Did you guys who used the solstice in the winter snow months order up snow tires? or did you use what the factory delivered the car with?

TIA

·
Retired Free Range Sols
9,964 Posts
JBsZ06 said:
Did you guys who used the solstice in the winter snow months order up snow tires? or did you use what the factory delivered the car with?

TIA
I ran with the stock tires, all winter long! Never an issue :D

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Aspenrose said:
I ran with the stock tires, all winter long! Never an issue :D
:agree: Althought in Delaware winter can me a non event some years :D It does handle better then some 2 wheel drive pickup trucks that I have owned in the snow and ice.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
rphjerry said:
I (salt stains on the top suck) but hey it is still fun to drive in the snow. rph
This did it for me, I was trying to decide if I should sell my C4 or my 2001 Crown Victoria. Having a Sol as a daily driver and keeping the Vette would be great but who wins on nice sunny days? Then I just pictured the white stains on the Solstice top, and got the shivers. I'll enjoy the vette this summer, and say goodbye in Sept. Looks like the Vic has winter duty, but not much better with RWD, and no traction control. Sand is my friend.

·
Registered
167 Posts
As long as it's dry outside, our SOL will see some driving time. We can and do get some snow each year but the Solstice will stay in the garage any time bad weather is apparent.

·
Registered
122 Posts
After driving (or should I say attempting to drive) my Miata in the snow ... I will NOT be taking my Sol out if it's going to snow. It is too light. I'll take my husband's car if I absolutely MUST go out. Mind you ... I haven't told him yet.

Eliza

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Well the NA Solstice handles quite well in the snow on the stock tires just as long and there is not too much ... the front air dam is the low point.

Can't wait to hear from the GXP crowd about how those tires do in the snow.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
After driving (or should I say attempting to drive) my Miata in the snow ... I will NOT be taking my Sol out if it's going to snow. It is too light. I'll take my husband's car if I absolutely MUST go out. Mind you ... I haven't told him yet.

Eliza
Weighing in at just under 3,000 lbs. I'm not sure I would classify the Sol as "light". Give it a try this winter, I think you might be surprized.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It might not be me having the driving problem in the snow!

Weighing in at just under 3,000 lbs. I'm not sure I would classify the Sol as "light". Give it a try this winter, I think you might be surprized.
That is encouraging - however - I think I'm actually more concerned that someone else's car will slide into mine!

I still remember sitting at a stop light in the curb lane and my Miata literally slid off the road.

I'm retired now, so there aren't many days I HAVE to drive my car. I think I'll just skip the snowy ones. Why tempt fate?

121 - 140 of 163 Posts