Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Will you drive your Solstice in winter (if you live in a region that gets snow)

• Yes, my Solstice will be driven year round. Snow tires are my friends.

Votes: 240 32.4%
  • No, I will park the Solstice, and have a second vehicle for winter duty

Votes: 326 44.0%
  • Whats snow? I see sun and nice weather year round and will enjoy it in the Solstice

Votes: 175 23.6%

• Total voters
141 - 160 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
That is encouraging - however - I think I'm actually more concerned that someone else's car will slide into mine!

I still remember sitting at a stop light in the curb lane and my Miata literally slid off the road.

I'm retired now, so there aren't many days I HAVE to drive my car. I think I'll just skip the snowy ones. Why tempt fate?
I came out of bowling one night, and while inside the alley my car had slid 1 1/2 foot sideways coming close to the car next to me. A friend asked if there was anything she could do to help, so I suggested she stand in between our cars and make sure when I tried moving it didn't slide the rest of the way into the car next to me. For some strange reason she didn't think this was a good idea :wtf:, she asked if she could help :lol:.

I don't like subjecting myself to winter driving, let alone what is to become my toy, now that I can afford one :). There are few things I can think of that would be worse than a Sol succumbing to cancer. OK, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration. A co-worker that sparingly drives, even in the summer, recently spent 10K restoring his Camaro (and before hand he said he was just getting a paint job, I saw the pictures).

My winter rat is two tone, tan in the summer, white in the winter :willy:, and this is an option I did not pay for either.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Winter Solstice Driving

My other cars are a Cadillac STS with AWD and an Escalade, no sense in driving my Solstice and risk an accident. I am from Northern Ohio and the winters tend to be cold, snowy, and icy. DA1234 07 Agrresive Loaded except On-Star

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Panda was purchased in February and has been driven in all kinds of weather. The only time I had any trouble was in a torrential rain that I could not see the end of the hood... Hydroplaned, but ANY vehicle would have. This vehicle is built for all weather, I know most would be surprised at how well it handles in snow and ice... So, yes, Panda will see the weather....

:driving: :dthumbs: :driving: :dthumbs: :driving:

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have a 6 cyl supercharged Jaguar XJR with Traction- but once got caught returning home to MD from VA in a snow that dropped 4" in an hour across the Potomac. I couldn't go faster than 35MPh-safely- and of course even Corrola's were wizzing by at 50- (foolish to me). The Soltise also has these fat tires- great for handling in the dry, but how are they in the wet? Assume also not good in snow. For us Soltise will be a non-snow, no salt car. We don't sell-only 'collect'. Last winter the RAM and 62 Buick Skylark V-8 were the winter drivers. Years ago my E Jag (limited slip 4 speed) was great in the snow-Pennsylania Upstae NY- New Mexico- no problem- but they had 15" -195 width wheels./

Sherman

·
Premium Member
10,306 Posts
The NA Solstice has All Season tires, however their wet handling characteristics are not that good, some members have driven the car in the snow, so maybe they will comment on that issue.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have been driving mine year around, and to this point it has been predictable, I went in to work on Saturday and it was the most black ice I have ever seen in all my years of driving, and while it was a challenge, I did make it in unscathed. The only time I can't drive the Solstice is when the snow is deeper then 6" the car sits to low to the ground and all I do is plow the snow with the rubber scoop below the radiator inlet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not only will I drive my Solstice year round including in the snow, I got a ski a ski rack for her and will take her to the slopes. I remember when posi-traction was the best you could get for winter driving. I once drove an Opel GT down an unplowed sidestreet with 2 feet of snow on it...and didn't get stuck.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I guess I am a bit of an inbetween guy. I will drive the solstice all winter long, but when there is a fresh snowfall and the roads are screwed up I will drive my pickup.
That is exactly what I'm going to have to do

·
Registered
42 Posts
I drove my solstice once in the snow. I live on a culde sac. there was about 2 inches of fresh snow. I backed it out and did a perfect doughnut and went back in the garage. It really does a reat slide. I can not drive it in the winter.

T drove a Fiero everywhere, all the time when it was new. I took the fiero apart and then put it together again last year. The rust that hides in a fiero frame made me decide never to drive my beautiful solstice around Michigan in the winter.

4X4 GMC '95 that's what I drive. Always good in the winter.

·
1,492 Posts
Powder Snow!

Today I experienced my first powder snow feeling.:woo:
Wow! It felt so cool to fly (30mph) down the road with the 6in of powder blowing past the car. I love the trail the Sol makes when the snow plow scrapes a track between the tires- like a signiture print. Today was most enjoyable because all the town must be on vacation or up skiing in the mountains -had the road to myself, except for those giant snow plows. They can be a little intimidating when they pull up beside you at a light and that blade is 6inches from your baby's side pannel.

This snow was better than that wet stuff we got last week! YaHoo!:yesnod:

Drive in the SNOW! :driving:

This car handels great!

·
Registered
36 Posts
"Solene" went in storage the 2nd week in November. Won't get her out till I'm sure there's no more snow and the roads have been washed with a good rain. I fred up my 1997 Tahoe and have the snow plow ready.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought a ski rack and snow tires for mine. Here in the Northwest they don't use salt on the roads, but they do use some kind of "stuff" on the roads that DOT refers to as de-icer. I drove mine in the snow today for the first time...on plowed, maintained roads. That's the worst thing I'll find up here. It had a tendency to be a little squirrelly on hard packed stuff, but I've never driven a sports car that wasn't. This car handled as well as any rear wheel drive car I've ever driven. When I bought it the dealer sold me the "Northwest package" which is an undercoating(kinda like the old z-bart undercoating) and a special finish over the paint. Since our climate up here is rather harsh I decided it would be worth the extra money to get it done. I was right. Even when it's dirty it still shines. It's only a year and a half, and I don't drive it all that much, but so far I'm very happy with it...in any weather.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I bought my car as a birthday present to myself last january, I was hoping to drive it on weekends only

I have not been able to put the car down and if it's not snowing or torential rain I usually drive it

22,000 miles in one year, on a car I thought I would do less then 10000

·
Registered
7 Posts
Over 96" of snow so far this year

Nope, won't drive in the snow. Fat, wide rear drive tires on hard packed snow (feels the same as ice)!! Every side road out here is a ski slalom with this car. We gotta stick to the front wheel and 4x4 vehicles way up here! Rear wheels just spin around and end up in ditches. :chill:

·
Registered
536 Posts
I drive my solstice year round its my daily driver. for the poll they didnt have one driving year round without snow tires. i live in delaware. we dont see that much snow around here.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I will drive year round but I will take the bus when roads are bad. To many bad Chicago drivers when there is snow and ice is on the ground. Then comes the salt trucks that do even more damage creating pot holes everywhere, I swear it's like a revolving racket Mayor Daley has with these construction companies cause they never seem to fix the streets correctly and just keep charging the tax paiyers more money.

141 - 160 of 163 Posts