Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, here we go with the poll. I've put it on Poll Maker so everyone can go to one place and I don't have to hand tally results from the forums and facebook groups.

One thing to keep in mind is that while we may try and trademark the acronym, the attempt to trademark NASSOA (our governing body several years ago) was rejected by the US Patent and Trademark Office because Solstice and Sky are General Motors trademarks (notwithstanding the fact that we had permission from GM to use them). So don't count on being able to trademark the winner, although we may try anyway. The potential inability to trademark the acronym means we may lose it, just like we did NASSM.

The options in the poll include:
NAASSM - North American Annual Solstice & Sky Meet [no product or service uses this acronym]]
NASSAM - North American Solstice & Sky Annual Meet [this acronym is used by both a piece of software and a ministry group]
NASASM - North American Solstice and Sky Meet [no product or service uses this acronym, but a Miata group does use NASA SM]
NASSC - North American Solstice & Sky Convention [this acronym is used by both computer and soccer groups]
NASSC - North American Solstice & Sky Celebration [this acronym is used by both computer and soccer groups]
NASSE - North American Solstice & Sky Event [this acronym is used by a clothing company and a Japanese company]

I did not include the following for the reasons given:
- NAKED / NAKID - while catchy, some of our more conservative members might not want to be associated with these acronyms, plus these acronyms are likely to do a huge dis-service to us in terms of web searches
- Anything with "Kappa" in it - again, this would present a big web search problem given the number of products and services that use the term "kappa," the number of fraternities and sororities alone would be overwhelming
- Anything with "&" in it - we can't use "&" in a website address
- NASM - while you could interpret the "S" to mean Solstice or Sky to suit your tastes, the fact is, we are a community of both Solstices and Skys
- NASSN or nything that would have used "N" for nationals because we have a huge and active Canadian contingent
- Anything that would suggested it was an "International" event, it hasn't been and we don't want to intrude on the possibility of one in the future (there are an awful lot of active Europeans)

I will leave the poll open until Monday, November 23, 2014.

What acronym should we use to replace NASSM? - Poll

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tad - in order to vote, click on the link at the bottom of the post and it will take you to the poll.
I vote for the third one, NASASM for what it's worth.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After leaving the poll open for a week, NAASSM (North American Annual Solstice & Sky Meet) appears to be the clear winner. DDM has already purchased the domain naassm.com to make sure we don't lose it and has offered it to future NAASSM organizers to use. Thanks Dave!

Of course, the fact that we have adopted the NAASSM acronym doesn't mean the organizers have to use the entire name. For example, in the logo for 2016, it simply says "North American Solstice & Sky Meet."

Chris
Sooner

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts