Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

How does potential performance difference affect you?

• Solstice needs a HiPerformance option

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Solstice needs to share in all engine options

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Pontiac Solstice needs to outperform Saturn Sky

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Saturn Sky needs to outperform Pontiac Solstice

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Don't care it's all GM badge engineering anyway

Votes: 2 9.5%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With the rumor mill going full blast and some statements to the effect that the Solstice will never get a HiPo engine and that the Sky will have different engine that Sol to start. How important is engine performance upgrade to you or difference between the Kappa "twins"

Disregard this post as I will try again. Gremlins in the ethernet.
Gremlins destroyed (Sorry AMC) Go ahead with poll.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll start with my $.02 Pontiac has a long tradition of performance vehicles and standing out from the crowd. My feeling has always been there should be differences other than skin between the twins and a major part of that is that the Solstice needs to be perceived (for Pontiac's sake) as the hottest of the two (or three if you count the Opel export to be named later)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I think if GM wants to return Pontiac to actually being a performance brand they need to do one of 4 to the Solstice to help with that image.
  • HiPo version on dealer lots that's at least as powerful as whatever the Sky gets
  • Sport Package that gives it a better suspension/rigidity then the Sky
  • HiPo options from GM Performance Parts
  • Sports Package from GM Performance Parts
The first couple of years I could understand GM not making these because they're leery of the Kappa cars surviving. However on the other hand unless they offer these packages now to make them competative I don't think the Solstice will last for the long run. GM needs to offer reasons people will ignore the lack of trunk space to buy this car over an S2000 or NC Miata.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a very good point about being able to drive into the dealer and drive out with an upgrade that
  • is designed to work out of the box
  • is covered under factory warranty
  • says something about factory support of enthusiasts

·
Registered
19 Posts
You are all talking about making the solstice more powerful than the sky. Dont forget one thing, both Pontiac AND Saturn need fixing up. They both need a juge step forward.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
castleking said:
You are all talking about making the solstice more powerful than the sky. Dont forget one thing, both Pontiac AND Saturn need fixing up. They both need a juge step forward.
Actually I said as powerful as the Sky above. But if Pontiac is to be the Performance devision there really needs to be somehting there then that actually makes them the performance devision. Saturn is supposed to be the "more upscale, but not as upscale as Buick even though Buick really isn't that upscale with Euro styling" devision now, not the performance devision. The only reason I would ever think they were planning on making the Sky more powerfull with more options, and never working on the Solstice anymore then base is if they had an idea they were going to cut Pontiac.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Both cars need a Hipo option, but Pontiac should be the better performing car. Ths Sky seems to be more upscale, so more gadgets and comfort and thereby more weight and perhaps softer ride. The Solstice needs to be a track performer to boost the "Performance Division" image, and due to being more stripped down, should be lighter and therefore a better performer. In reality, they'll probably be about the same.

I'm sure if you ran this poll on the Sky forum, the responses would be exactly opposite. :lol:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I agree with Aerodave.

The Solstice should be the ultimate performance car of the two. Even if both have the same power ratings, the Solstice should be the autocross star, canyon carver, and speed king of the two.

The Sky, being more upscale, should be targeted more as a 2 seater touring convertable. Smoother (more comfortable) ride over the road, more creature comforts. Things of that nature. Not only could you slow it down slightly with added weight, but they could also change the rear end ration slightly to help the Solstice keep a slight edge. That would also help keep both in favor with people who want to modify them, since they could make either perform as well or better than the other by changing rear end gears, suspension bits, etc.

·
Registered
275 Posts
AeroDave said:
I'm sure if you ran this poll on the Sky forum, the responses would be exactly opposite. :lol:
yeah, im from the sky forum and guess which way i voted :lol:

anyways, my reasoning behind it is the price difference. and when i say that i want the sky to have more power, i dont mean 400hp... what i mean is maybe an extra 10. but honestly, thats just my two cents, and ill be happy with what they have to offer already.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts