Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

2019 NASSAM - Might you attend if it were in Southern Ontario?

• Would likely attend - a vendor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have tossed around this idea a few times .. There are lots of reasons why we cant do it .. perhaps too many, but first we need to know if there is interest in attending an event hosted in Southern Ontario.

Location somewhere around 1 hour from the border Niagara Falls/Buffalo, NY/Niagara Region. We cant provide the hilliest of roads but we do have interesting sites and locations. This is a large tourist region.

Logistitcs .. You would need a passport to cross into Canada (I believe that is the case - birth certificates etc are not good enough). Your US dollar is worth something like 1.3 here.
Anyways .. please respond to the poll ..

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Since it is the North American meet, its "aboot" time we have one in Canada. The Canadians have been coming here in droves for years. 1350 miles from Oklahoma, no sweat!

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
After refiguring, it is close to 3K for me. Just can not justify it. I doubt I could survive the drive there. And certainly can not tow it there.

It might be a fly in deal, but going to Canada this September for a couple of weeks. So the other half's interest may not be there. Would suspect it would be better weather conditions, not quite as hot or humid. I have been thru that area and it is beautiful.

·
Vendor
1,388 Posts
As a vendor, it is a lot of work for us to setup and go to Canada to work. We looked into this previously a couple years when this subject came up previously. We have to have all of our tools and product inspected when we cross the border and also when we cross back over the border. Paperwork has to be filled out for all of the product that we sell at the event, to whom it was sold, and separate taxes have to be filed for those products, etc. The amount of time in just paperwork would make us strongly consider not coming as a vendor. If you were set up on the NY side though, it makes it much easier for the vendors based here in the states.

Hope that helps,
Dave

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Paperwork has to be filled out for all of the product that we sell at the event, to whom it was sold, and separate taxes have to be filed for those products, etc.
What if you sold goods to be delivered upon your return to the US? You could process credit cards when you get home. Checks and cash transactions could slip under the radar. Only sales to Canadians would have to be accounted for at the border crossing. Would that make it easier?

·
Registered
352 Posts
As a vendor, it is a lot of work for us to setup and go to Canada to work. We looked into this previously a couple years when this subject came up previously. We have to have all of our tools and product inspected when we cross the border and also when we cross back over the border. Paperwork has to be filled out for all of the product that we sell at the event, to whom it was sold, and separate taxes have to be filed for those products, etc. The amount of time in just paperwork would make us strongly consider not coming as a vendor. If you were set up on the NY side though, it makes it much easier for the vendors based here in the states.

Hope that helps,
Dave
Is it feasible to set up something through SOLO as a Canadian dealer? (assuming they would want to attend).

They buy all the products from you, and whatever isn't purchased at a meeting is sold back to you?

·
Super Moderator
5,840 Posts
Selling product may be the easy part. Getting approval to do work on Canadian soil can be a real nightmare, and even when it isn't the paperwork is extensive. We have a plant in Canada and recently planned to send a group of technicians from here for training but had to cancel the trips because of the restrictions.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
@;
What if you sold goods to be delivered upon your return to the US? You could process credit cards when you get home. Checks and cash transactions could slip under the radar. Only sales to Canadians would have to be accounted for at the border crossing. Would that make it easier?

When I was at the 2017 NASSAM DDMWorks seemed to always have someone under cars working on them. I would suspect the labor charges account for a good part of a vendor's income at a meet. Plus I believe large amounts of cash are required to be reported upon entry into the US.

:dunno:

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I had a thought. To get a more accurate gauge of interest, you should post a similar poll on the Sky side. In addition, a lot of diehard attendees have left the forums entirely and now communicate primarily on the Kappa BBQ or Facebook, so sampling should be done there as well. If you want to avoid double voting, consider using Survey Monkey and posting a link to the survey in all the various places.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts