Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Will the Solstice be your primary or weekend car?

• Primary, everyday use, comute to work car

Votes: 71 59.2%
  • Weekend, fun, drive on sunny day car

Votes: 49 40.8%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given it's low price the Solstice might offer more people the option for a weekend car?

·
Registered
58 Posts
it will be kinda both for me because i will be in the NAVY so it will be the car that i use when i am home and not really a car that i use to drive to work but it will be my primary car

·
Registered
535 Posts
I use my cars as good weather / bad weather cars. One for winter and rainy days and one for sunny days. I don't think I could leave the Solstice at home all week and then not be able to drive it if it rained all weekend.

·
Registered
281 Posts
i chose primary because, hey who are we kidding? im sure i will drive it every day for the first six months i own it. its the antithesis of a grand prix. small, nimble, rwd, stick, unpractical, NEW, vert. after that tho, im sure guilt will set in and i will miss the ole boat and drive them equally after that. its like kids, you gotta spread the love around.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Daily driver. I plan to get the Solstice, and I'm hopping my wife will get the Dodge Magnum for hauling people and everyday stuff. She's not sold on it yet, she wants a Toyota Highlander, but I'm working on it. For big stuff and hauling our Jet Skis, we already have a Ford E250 van.

Didn't we already do this poll?

·
Registered
182 Posts
It is hard for me to decide axactly where the solstice will be classified. Right now i drive a Ford Ranger wich will be under warranty until 2009 so i will not be getting rid of it for a while, but I will also be getting a Solstice when I graduate. The way that I look at it I will use the Solstice on warmer days and I will use the Ranger on those days where the mercury drops below freezing and there are snow drifts to get through. So to answer the question the solstice will be a part time daily driver.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have to face the fact that where I live we have snow. Mind you not a ton of days when you could not drive on the road due to too much snow. But never the less, something to contend with.
Ultimalty I want an all weather car. HOWEVER most convertibles are not ment for this, there are a few exceptions, but most are not great in snow. Low cars, wide tires, light weight, stiff suspension, not good for snow. I am however an optomist, and damit I want a Solstice to repalce my convertible, so I am going to hold out and test drive it in the winter. If need be spend a bit of money and buy good winter tires, and possibly higher suspension for the winter. And not to mention some weight. I added better traction tires and wieight in my Fiat this past winter while my winterbeater was in the shop, and I ended up driving it manymore times during the winter.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Gonna be a daily driver. Got a 5000# boatail Buick that gets just 9 MPG for the weekends and special occasions. But I want the car I drive the most to be FUN ! And the Soltice should fit the bill.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I chose "weekend car" mainly because I will not use it year round. I would call it more accurately a 6 month car, as it will stay in the garage through winters. I do not think it would be a very driveable car around here in the winter even if I wanted to use it that way. But I am certain I will drive it most of the time through the spring, summer and fall until the snow flies!

·
Registered
6 Posts
As I am single and don't have to haul people/stuff, I'll go primary. Hopefully it will have enough trunk space for groceries or golf clubs. Also, I'll have to be a bit more careful during the Wisconsin winters, for which I may have to, horror of horrors, get snow tires for it.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I went with daily driver. It's cheap enough, runs on 87 octane more then likely (unless there is a supercharged version of course), and not exotic enough to be a pure weekend car.

Also since it'll be an entire new platform, with a new engine (it'll be out some in the SS Cobalt) there will not be as much in the way of performance parts on initial release. So it'll take a lot more work/effort/research to turn it into a pure weekend car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Fun Car

I sold my BMW K1200LT motorcycle because I finally decided after 41 years of street-riding, it was time to quit motorcycling. I bought my SLY Solstice GXP as a way of getting the sun in my face & wind in my hair, a 4-wheel-motorcycle! My daily driver is a black 2005 Mercedes G55. The Solstice is my fun car. I've had it for a year now, and only 4600 miles on it....mostly trips to SouthBeach or Key West.
Gary:)

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
06 solstice usually in the garage 4-5 days a week......04 Chevy Malibu Maxx 107k is the daily driver, 03 KIA Sorento 98K other daily driver..but it usually sits 2-3 days a week.....

KIA will be traded in on an 08 Cadillac CTS in Feb 08..but the Chevy will still be the daily driver.......

·
Registered
134 Posts
Weekends and nice weather.

·
Registered
991 Posts
A three year old thread comes back to life :lol:

Weekend non winter toy :cool:

·
Registered
357 Posts
I work from home so my Sol get used mostly on the weekends, errand runs, and cruise in the evenings.
But I also have a truck for foul weather and Home Depot runs. ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts