Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

What's the latest month to get your NON-EOP Solstice before you cancel your preorder?

  • October 2005

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • November 2005

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • December 2005

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • January 2006

    Votes: 2 8.0%
  • February 2006

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • March 2006

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never, unless someone holds a gun to my head

    Votes: 13 52.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have orders for the NON-EOP Solstices (from dealers regular builds/allocations), how long of a delay would it take for you to cancel your order and either try again next year (maybe by then a different int/ext color will be offered, more hp, new featue, etc) or buy a different car?

:leaving:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Why buy a pre-order in October?

Just curious, why would one buy a pre-order later than October (unless you live in San Diego or Miami)?

I can see keeping a first 1,000 because you'll never have a chance to get another one of those. However, after the first 1,000 and if you're not going to drive with the top down this summer, it seems to me like the scales tip in a big way to waiting for a second year model when hopefully any reliability issues will have been worked out (or at least we'll know what they are). This is assuming (a big assumption, I know) that the 2007 models will be out by mid summer 2006. Anyone know when 2007 models are due?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
solsticedreamin said:
Just curious, why would one buy a pre-order later than October (unless you live in San Diego or Miami)?

I can see keeping a first 1,000 because you'll never have a chance to get another one of those. However, after the first 1,000 and if you're not going to drive with the top down this summer, it seems to me like the scales tip in a big way to waiting for a second year model when hopefully any reliability issues will have been worked out (or at least we'll know what they are). This is assuming (a big assumption, I know) that the 2007 models will be out by mid summer 2006. Anyone know when 2007 models are due?

I know why. It is going to be my only car. I live in the north, but I will just deal with any snow. My car is on it's last leg and probably will not make it another full year. I really want the Solstice, so I do not want a different car. Been following it for 2 years now. Just get it in the winter and then if there happens to be a day in the 60s drop the top and enjoy it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
I'll take mine whenever it comes. Unless it is an unusually bad winter in Maryland, I be able to drive it no problem.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
solsticedreamin said:
Just curious, why would one buy a pre-order later than October (unless you live in San Diego or Miami)?

I can see keeping a first 1,000 because you'll never have a chance to get another one of those. However, after the first 1,000 and if you're not going to drive with the top down this summer, it seems to me like the scales tip in a big way to waiting for a second year model when hopefully any reliability issues will have been worked out (or at least we'll know what they are). This is assuming (a big assumption, I know) that the 2007 models will be out by mid summer 2006. Anyone know when 2007 models are due?
Another possible reason is to try and hedge against tight supplies and dealer gouging the next spring. With the extected late release this year, I would imagine that thebig push in demand for the car will be next spring/summer. Buying in the winter in the north may be the ideal time to avoid that rush.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
I plan on keeping my Sol for a very long time (10+ years), so getting the car in July or December doesn't make much of a difference in the long term. I'd prefer having it for this summer, but if I don't, I've still got 10+ summers to enjoy it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Another possible reason is to try and hedge against tight supplies and dealer gouging the next spring. With the extected late release this year, I would imagine that thebig push in demand for the car will be next spring/summer. Buying in the winter in the north may be the ideal time to avoid that rush.
:agree: Very good point. That's the main reason why I'm getting my order in now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just curious -- let's say your dealer tells you the car is coming in Nov/Dec -- instead of just keeping the car in your garage for the winter, does anyone know if could change your order to request the dealer/GM to ship your car intime for March 2006?

That way you're locked in getting the car at MSRP (and can always cancel if a bigger engine comes out, or new color), and it just doesn't sit there in your garage, plus you get a later build (less defects?) and most importantly, you maximize your new car smell for when you'll be driving it the most :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,512 Posts
I plan to wait it out for several reasons:

I am the first order out of my dealer's four month allocation, which is completely spoken for. He also has a local waitlist of several people against his next allocation. If I were to cancel my order, I would move to the "back" of this line, and there is no telling how much longer the wait will then become. With the number of orders currently placed, I figure I could be adding many more months to an already years long wait.

I don't really find anything about the Solstice I currently have on order as lacking (hp, colors, options, etc.) I have spec'ed out the car with the options I want and have locked in a price that I can afford, at MSRP. Even if additional options became available, I probably wouldn't get them.

There's no guarantee against price gouging if I cancel my order and throw myself back into the pool.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top