Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forbes recently published that 53% of Pontiac registered owners are female.

Any thoughts?

Stereotyping is not right - nor perfect, but....

The GTO isn't getting more male buyers? The F-body death has us all buying trucks?

Miata owners look at "chick car" as slander.

It is a statisical fact that women affect the majority of car sales - either with their own money or influence.

The Fiero was a strong female brand early on - see Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Now women are the small minority of Fiero owners. The Miata seems to be increasing its male owner percentage with the last version.

Kendra won the Solstice on the Apprentice. Maxim is awarding a Solstice to the winner of the pick-up line contest.

The Solstice is a "sexy, gorgeous, two-seat roadster."

Is the Solstice going to bring men back to Pontiac? Are the sales percentages going to be more along the lines of the S2000 or first Miatas?

·
Registered
338 Posts
xfire305 said:
Forbes recently published that 53% of Pontiac registered owners are female.

Any thoughts?

Stereotyping is not right - nor perfect, but....

The GTO isn't getting more male buyers? The F-body death has us all buying trucks?

Miata owners look at "chick car" as slander.

It is a statisical fact that women affect the majority of car sales - either with their own money or influence.

The Fiero was a strong female brand early on - see Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Now women are the small minority of Fiero owners. The Miata seems to be increasing its male owner percentage with the last version.

Kendra won the Solstice on the Apprentice. Maxim is awarding a Solstice to the winner of the pick-up line contest.

The Solstice is a "sexy, gorgeous, two-seat roadster."

Is the Solstice going to bring men back to Pontiac? Are the sales percentages going to be more along the lines of the S2000 or first Miatas?
This may be a little askew, but prolly 3/4 of the time, when a couple comes in to buy a car or truck, the man has bad/no/worse credit, and the woman is the only one to go on the contract. Now, it does go both ways, and it may just be something around here. Generally though, women tend to have higher bureau scores than men, at least around here. Granted, this is a little bit different demogrpahic, but how many of your buddies have a $3000 tv, but a rusted out truck or '78 Monte Carlo?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Those figures are sales-weighted. My 2004 Canadian sales charts indicate that the Sunfire was Pontiac's sales leader, capturing 43% of the Pontiac total, while the Grand Am trailed at 21.9%. The Bonneville, for example, registered a measly 0.9%, and the GTO isn't available in Canada.

While these numbers will obviously skew differently in the US, I think they illustrate that the enthusiast fringe doesn't affect a brand's core business to the degree that one might expect. The Sunfire and Grand Am were both aging-platform cost-competitors which appealed to men and women equally on the basis of low price, and the sales failure of the GTO and Bonneville GXP simply indicates a disconnect between product and buyer expectations.

·
Registered
905 Posts
My Sunfire ain't no girls car and neither is my future Solstice. I guess it's just most guys go for the trucks these days (from my observations).

·
Registered
61 Posts
conejo148 said:
This may be a little askew, but prolly 3/4 of the time, when a couple comes in to buy a car or truck, the man has bad/no/worse credit, and the woman is the only one to go on the contract. Now, it does go both ways, and it may just be something around here. Generally though, women tend to have higher bureau scores than men, at least around here. Granted, this is a little bit different demogrpahic, but how many of your buddies have a $3000 tv, but a rusted out truck or '78 Monte Carlo?
I have to agree. I guy a work with just bought a house with his fiance, and even though his credit is good, hers is still better. Funny considering neither have had a late payment, and she still has way more debt than he does(car/student loans).

Also, I think that guys, especially those who own their own homes, are more likely to need a truck to haul around stuff for their homes. The reason I am able to get a solstice is because I am getting a new truck from work before I get my sol, and considering one of our foreman FINALLY got back from mexico, I will probably be getting the truck even sooner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts