Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pontiac Can't Keep Up With Demand for Red-Hot Solstice
Date Posted 09-06-2005

DETROIT — General Motors can't keep pace with demand for its 2006 Solstice. Pontiac dealers have taken more than 13,000 orders for the new roadster, but GM says it will be able to build only 7,000 this year.

Nearly half the customers who've ordered a Solstice will have to wait until after the first of the year to take delivery, according to Automotive News. Through the end of August, GM had built 1,840 Solstices at its plant in Wilmington, Delaware.

In a promotion last April on the TV show The Apprentice, Pontiac took orders for 1,000 Solstices. GM has filled about 750 of those, the newspaper said.

Next year, GM plans to launch the 2007 Saturn Sky, a companion model to the Solstice, as well as an Opel-badged roadster for Europe. The automaker plans to build between 20,000 and 30,000 units a year of the Pontiac and Saturn models, including up to 18,000 Solstices.

What this means to you: We here at Edmunds just drove this thing. Let's just say we feel very, very lucky. And it will be worth your wait if you want one. Old school auto industry fans have gotta love seeing some buzz around a General Motors product.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=107131

·
Registered
94 Posts
If I were Pontiac mgm't, I'd be asking some hard questions. They had to be aware of just how well the car was going to sell. You don't put the car on a national hit TV show and then not expect results. They should have (yeah, monday morning QB) had a better understanding of their production capabilities and demand before going live.

This isn't like Lotus, there are other cars in the same price range that could lure impatient buyers away. And the price range we're talking has a different mindset from the ones buying the Elise.

My dad many years ago pondered why nobody was building a cheap, no frills, not overly powerful sports car that was affordable and available to the masses...thinking that it would appeal to the younger crowd. The Miata sort of fit that bill, but the styling was always a turn-off to anyone that was overly image sensitve amongst peers.

The Solstice does not suffer from that problem. They have a car on their hands that sells for cheap when stripped down and could be attractive to the much younger buyer. It's unfortunate they created a high demand, low supply situation that will allow others to adjust if they're quick about it. They need to resolve their capacity issues NOW.

·
2,574 Posts
Matt123 said:
If I were Pontiac mgm't, I'd be asking some hard questions. They had to be aware of just how well the car was going to sell. You don't put the car on a national hit TV show and then not expect results. They should have (yeah, monday morning QB) had a better understanding of their production capabilities and demand before going live.

This isn't like Lotus, there are other cars in the same price range that could lure impatient buyers away. And the price range we're talking has a different mindset from the ones buying the Elise.

My dad many years ago pondered why nobody was building a cheap, no frills, not overly powerful sports car that was affordable and available to the masses...thinking that it would appeal to the younger crowd. The Miata sort of fit that bill, but the styling was always a turn-off to anyone that was overly image sensitve amongst peers.

The Solstice does not suffer from that problem. They have a car on their hands that sells for cheap when stripped down and could be attractive to the much younger buyer. It's unfortunate they created a high demand, low supply situation that will allow others to adjust if they're quick about it. They need to resolve their capacity issues NOW.
They figured out how to build it for sub 20k everyone else will choke if they try to hit that price in the short haul. The cat's out of the bag. Zee train pulls away from zee station. The deal is done. This is the best bargain in years and the word is still not out. Pontiac pulled a fast one here even at small production numbers. Next, upscale with the Sky and some boost. Then Europe. Lutz for Pres.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts