Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just talked to the Sales Manager of the Pontiac Dealer here in Maine, He has no clue on how to find the (VOM) on the Car he ordered for me last April.

I am not in the first 1000, But, I thought he would know about (VOM)?

I asked if he could get the VIN number and he doesn't have that either.

He told me to check with you Guys, Is it really that difficult? This Pontiac Dealer has been around for 50 years. Or is he just playing Stupid? Mitch :willy:

·
Registered
182 Posts
MITCH said:
Just talked to the Sales Manager of the Pontiac Dealer here in Maine, He has no clue on how to find the (VOM) on the Car he ordered for me last April.

I am not in the first 1000, But, I thought he would know about (VOM)?

I asked if he could get the VIN number and he doesn't have that either.

He told me to check with you Guys, Is it really that difficult? This Pontiac Dealer has been around for 50 years. Or is he just playing Stupid? Mitch :willy:
He's not just playing stupid, he is stupid. Take your business elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I'll give you bits and pieces but a dealer here would know best.

It's a terminal usually not on the general floor. Called VOMS or "DealerWorld". GM of dealership might know

I had trouble getting it too. We found my VOM # on my sales folder hand written on outside. It's 6 digits of letters and numbers (more letters)

·
5,641 Posts
VIN numbers are not published until the car is built.

It is not that difficult, and he is not stupid, he just dosen't know how. It is not his responsibility to handle those functions at the dealership most likely.

Dealerships are not used to having to deal with VOMS order numbers, as their is very little (if anything) we use them for. And it is even a stranger occurance that a customer would want/need it, since most dealers (those that aren't here) don't know that there is a use for it ib the buyer's hands.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
After two days of phone tag and unfulled promises to "Call you back in fifteen minutes", I got what the dealer keeps calling an order number. It consists of six letters, no numbers. Is this actually a VOM? And, if it is, is there a way to call up status (one of the 3*** codes)?

·
5,641 Posts
DreamerDave said:
It consists of six letters, no numbers. Is this actually a VOM? And, if it is, is there a way to call up status (one of the 3*** codes)?
It is possible to have a VOMS order "number" be all letters. Does it start with the letter "J"? Most in the March-April-May time frame do.

There are no systems for buyers to check on event status. They only way to check on it is to find Cadillacricket's thread on "Where is my car", and PM the "number" to him.

·
Registered
110 Posts
For cars that are already built, you can call Solstice HQ and get both VIN and VOM. The girl at my dealership, its her job, barely knows how to use the system and can't get me a history on it (a date for most resent codes). This after two weeks.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Small Dealer said:
It is possible to have a VOMS order "number" be all letters. Does it start with the letter "J"? Most in the March-April-May time frame do.

There are no systems for buyers to check on event status. They only way to check on it is to find Cadillacricket's thread on "Where is my car", and PM the "number" to him.
Yes, it starts with a J!!! Thank you, thank you!!! Until this moment I really wasn't sure if the dealer actually ordered it back then. (I'd emailed the number to Cadillacricket a few days ago but I can understand him not getting back to me. I'm sure he's swamped). If this keeps up, my feelings toward "my dealer" will flip 180 degrees. You have done both him and me a great service with just a single post. Thank you Small Dealer! Your a GIANT in my eyes!

·
5,641 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Yes, it starts with a J!!!
(I'd emailed the number to Cadillacricket a few days ago but I can understand him not getting back to me. I'm sure he's swamped).
Give Cricket a chance, sometimes he can be quick with the delete button on his emails. :lol: Know he has been busy lately with police reports and electronics shopping. :(

Glad to have helped. :)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I drove over to my Pontiac Dealer today, and surprised them.

The showroom was empty, it was raining outside.

I walked in and asked the Guy I talked to on the phone for some kind of information on the progress of my order. Come to find out he is only the fill in manager. When the Top Dog manager heard me ask for the VOM, He went right to a computer and within 30 seconds, had the VOM printed out for me.

Finally, By showing up in person, I got my VOM. It has the event code on the left side of the paper, And many transactions starting with 1100 and the final one at 3000. The 3000 code shows Accepted by Production Control.

The other page shows the Vehicle order number, And YES it starts with a J.

It has my name and customer information along with the Solstice order content, and options.

I guess it pays to check with the Top Dog when requesting Solstice info.

I feel much better now. It looks like the 3000 code means I have a long wait, But at least I can now see my Solstice is in the works. Mitch :) :agree:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Small Dealer said:
VIN numbers are not published until the car is built.

It is not that difficult, and he is not stupid, he just dosen't know how. It is not his responsibility to handle those functions at the dealership most likely.

Dealerships are not used to having to deal with VOMS order numbers, as their is very little (if anything) we use them for. And it is even a stranger occurance that a customer would want/need it, since most dealers (those that aren't here) don't know that there is a use for it ib the buyer's hands.
Thank you for this post. It has really been bothering me that people are calling their salespeople idiots, morons, stupid, etc. It's not only unkind, it's unfair. I don't think people are understanding how unusual everything is with this car, and that these things are not a normal part of business for the dealerships.

·
Registered
119 Posts
A question for you, if you don't mind, Small Dealer. I'm interested in ordering a turbo Solstice but realize it's going to be awhile before Pontiac releases it. Is there anything more a dealer can do at this point other than just put me on a separate list of their making? Any recommendations? I can wait until the Turbocharged version is released but don't want to wait forever once it's available.

Thanks in advance.

CK

"WWSMcD?"

·
5,641 Posts
Editguy said:
Thank you for this post. It has really been bothering me that people are calling their salespeople idiots, morons, stupid, etc. It's not only unkind, it's unfair. I don't think people are understanding how unusual everything is with this car, and that these things are not a normal part of business for the dealerships.
Yea, as Mitch found out the guy he had been talking to was just filling in.

·
5,641 Posts
Cooler King said:
I'm interested in ordering a turbo Solstice but realize it's going to be awhile before Pontiac releases it. Is there anything more a dealer can do at this point other than just put me on a separate list of their making? Any recommendations? I can wait until the Turbocharged version is released but don't want to wait forever once it's available.
First off welcome.

Right now there has been nothing offical that has come to dealers about future Solstice changes or engines. But it is clear from press coverage that a Turbo could be in the future. Lets just assume for this post that it will be available in the 2007 model year, at beginning of production, and for all dealers.

As you read around the threads here, I hope one point becomes clear: Car allocation is one place where size matters. To get you car as soon as possible, you want a dealer with the largest allocation.

Make a list of dealers within the distance you would find comfortable. Keep in mind you what to be of the mind that you would have to get the car serviced where you buy. Don't rule anyone out just yet.

Sort those by anything you already know about them, previous experiences or recommendations (or warnings) from others.

Now you have a target list of dealers. Do some research and award points for each catagory.

While it shouldn't be a problem to tell them why you are looking, I would keep the fact that you want to buy sometime next year a car that hasn't been announced under your hat for the moment.

1) Try to find out their current First Four Month Allocation for 2006s. This will give you an idea of who gets more and therefore soonest.

2) Try to see if the already have more Solstice orders then they think will be built in 2006. This could already put you behind for 2007. Or even if they have people in line for 2007s. (May have to tip your intentions here)

3) Seen how long they have been a Dealership.

4) Bonus point if they are a Pontiac-Buick-GMC dealer. Loose a point if single line Pontiac.

5) Try to determine how long their salespeople have been with them.

6) Last catagory, how do you feel about the interactions you had.

Re-sort your list. Go to dealer one and lay it out. Be very clear what you want and expect. ie First Turbo, copies of order verification when entered, price agreement, how you will pay, required deposit, and level of communication you want. Then stay on top of them, in a nice manner of course.

And I would think you want to get this done before any possible actual production announcement, just to stay out in front. Two logical places for Pontiac to make announcements of a turbo (to torpedo 2006 orders), would be a t the SEMA show in Vegas very late October-verly early November usually or at the Detroit Auto Show in January 2006.

One last thing you can do if you really want to lock it up, buy that last silver Aztek in the courner of the dealer's lot. :lol:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Is George Bush your dealer?

When I read you first comment I figured it might be Bush putting it to you again. But as it turns out it must not be since it all worked out for you. :lol:

Just making some humor! Glad you got the infor you were after.

·
5,641 Posts
Cooler King said:
Thanks, Small Dealer, good points all. Greatly appreciate it. I guess I could trade my Acura TSX in on an Aztek to really lock down a turbo. Man... that would hurt! :lol:

No buying the Aztek outright would be better :)

It is everyone else here who are living the purchase process that have run into issues that my post is based on, I accept your thanks on their behalf.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ateam_77 said:
When I read you first comment I figured it might be Bush putting it to you again. But as it turns out it must not be since it all worked out for you. :lol:

Just making some humor! Glad you got the infor you were after.
I AM ALL SET WITH MY VOM.

BUSH HAS TAUGHT ME TO INVEST IN OIL. I HAVE MADE OVER $3.000 IN JUST 9 DAYS. AWESOME! I LOVE THIS GUY!

MY VOL WILL BE DELIVERED IN NOVEMBER. MITCH :cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.