Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
That's right Kids...By Request!!! I'm bringing it back again!!! You asked for it, The City has been asking for it, so let's do this!!

Visit Pontiac

Friday July 20th - Sunday July 22nd

Rough Plan:
Friday July 20th
  • Arrive
  • Meet and Greet
  • Eat Somewhere (Bernardi's?)
  • Entertain Ourselves Somewhere
Saturday July 21st
  • RT 66 - I'm thinking either a short cruise in small groups, or I'll highlight the attractions nearby for photo ops, etc to be done on your own.
  • Museums - Pontiac Oakland, RT 66 with the World's Largest RT 66 Mural, War Museum, Wall Dogs, and a couple others I haven't even been to!
  • Swinging Bridges, Lincoln sites (7), Wall Dog Murals, New Shops, New Park!
  • And...it's back...The Trolley Tour!!!!
:yay:
  • Lunch on your own at any of the excellent local cafes (I'll get the list again)
  • Cruise Night! $10/car and we actually get to cruise as a group! I can also reserve spots for us together! There are 2 general awards. I might try to throw in a few cheesy awards of my own. ;) Proceeds Benefit Relay for Life. Info at:
Welcome to Pontiac Cruise Night | Pontiac Cruise Night
  • Dinner - If we don't do Bernardi's Friday night, we'll do it Saturday Night!
  • Entertain Ourselves Somewhere. It's Cruise Night so there will probably be something going on in town that night...band? I'll find out. If not, I can probably con Ellie into making arrangements for us!

Sunday July 22nd
  • Either Breakfast somewhere
  • Or...Maybe I quick run up to Starved Rock including the infamous Starved Rock Run...the best and only twisty roads IL has to offer, but we'll have to do it early! Cows and Corn tour is included free of charge! ;)
Brunch at Starved Rock would be crazy! Pricey, but the food is well worth it! Come Hungry!

Up Next...Hotel Information!

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hotel Information!

We have a small block of rooms at both hotels in town, right next door to each other. The block is under Pontiac Solstice Group

Quality Inn
1823 West Reynolds Street
Pontiac, IL, US, 61764
Phone: (815) 844-4444
$89.99/night
12 Rooms in the block!

Best Western
1821 W Reynolds Street
Pontiac, Illinois, 61764-9650
Phone: 815/842-2777
$80.99/night
6 Rooms in the Block

Deadline is June 20th! Book early and Book often!

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tourism Video!!!

Nice overview of what Pontiac has to offer. You might even see a familiar looking group at 4:39!

But watch out for that first car in that group. I don't know about the driver. Whoever it is can barely see over the dash...:rolleyes::skep:

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The List

And the Cool Kids Are:

ihawk95
chilisky (prolly out :( )
HoosierGXP
fiziksgxp (definitely coming!)
Rmfnsky (If he's not working)
Hambone
rhkfwain
kkoschnitzke (maybe)
LowLife1
Robssol
Bentley (Maybe)
Sol1570
SolNut (Big Maybe)
toyman
Druid (Strong Probable)
timlange3 aka WanderingSol
Cat'sMeanGXP
GrandpaSolstice (penciled in)
GreyGhost (Maybe)
SunFun (Defintely Coming!)
UptownMarie
Barry from Indiana (Strong Probable)
Freaky Tiki (newbie!!!!!!!)
Freaky Tiki +1
Bern39
Doug & Patty from Pontiac
TomShadow
XTC
ChicagoSkyline
Jack19
Sky Vue 1 (SV1) :yay: :woo: :willy:
LSMO (maybe, quite possibly)
Boomer (maybe could be)
BlkGXP :yay:

34 so far!!! And counting!!

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pontiac Museum

Ok, One more post...

So last year, the group had such a great time in this little town, that they wanted to give something back. Unfortunately, most of our video footage was lost and I never did get the DVD to make copies. We thought it would be nice to offer the videos and people could donate a little something and I'd give it back to the town.

This year, Hoosier GXP wanted to go bigger and better! He has an idea to donate a Solstice to the Pontiac Muesum! He wanted to try to have this ready to go by the event, but that isn't to be this year. However, I know you all will have such a great time in the city, you'll be excited about this for next year! Plus, I'd like to do something fun with it! Like put a collage of photos of us with our cars with the Solstice Display. Sign them, something cool where we can go and see a part of us on display. Make it meaningful for all of us! I'm open to suggestions with this sort of thing, but as a contributor...what would you like to see displayed with the car? We planned to have a plaque to recognize those who contribute $100 or more, but what about the smaller $$? We can do a little something for everyone! Even if I get goofy wristbands!

Any donation is appreciated! Donations are tax deductible and are made directly to the museum via their website:

Pontiac Oakland Museum Solstice

Donations are also accepted via snail mail, or feel free to make a donation at the museum when you are there. I'll need to make sure they have a special box set up for just for us!

All the museums are free, the trolley tour is free, and the City really goes out of their way to welcome us! We had an amazing time last year, so let's see if we can find us a poor, unfortunate Sol that's lived a good Sol life...or not so good Sol life as maybe the case for what we want! :lol: , and surprise the city with something really special!

Here are a few pics from last year...let's do it again!
Pontiac Weekend 2011

·
Registered
1,492 Posts

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Reserved room Best Western (reserved room w/2 beds). Not sure if wife is attending so if someone wants to share room and split cost fine by me/non-smoker).

Possible Photo Op :devil:
Kappa Kabanna (Gentlemans Club, 35 miles from downtown Pontiac, IL)

Google Image Result for http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/pantagraph.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/f/90/f90581ac-59c8-11e1-8273-001871e3ce6c/4f3ef32e6719c.image.jpg
Been there...not a bad establishment!

Somewhere, I believe I have a picture of my car parked next to the Kappa sign! I hope I didn't lose it when I lost my phone last week. :(

Thank Gawd I posted that one somewhere! Stupid link won't work though! :(

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bumping it up!!

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
:woo: Since I couldn't make it to the Nationals (and it was practically at my backdoor.....:brentil:), we're really excited about going to Pontiac and meeting everybody!! Not too mention, it's a great excuse for a road trip...:thumbs:

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dang this is coming up quick!

Have another car to add to the list...an old friend! Actually...2 cars I think!

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Saw a couple of pics of a Sol owner at tonight's Cruise Night in Pontiac! Looked like they were having a good time!

That'll be us next month!!! :yay:

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Just been informed of a family reunion taking place on Saturday July 21. We will have to miss the festivities on Friday and Saturday. However, we may be able to join in on the Sunday activities. :cryin:

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Ihawk....I don't figure it really makes any difference but I just thought I would let you know that Freaky Tiki will actually be two cars for the weekend. :cool: I can't seem to extract my wife from the drivers seat of hers and I hate being the passenger... :lol:
Looks like we'll have our own little mini run on the way...just debating who's the RC and who's the sweep.. :willy:

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ihawk....I don't figure it really makes any difference but I just thought I would let you know that Freaky Tiki will actually be two cars for the weekend. :cool: I can't seem to extract my wife from the drivers seat of hers and I hate being the passenger... :lol:
Looks like we'll have our own little mini run on the way...just debating who's the RC and who's the sweep.. :willy:
Did not know that and so it is done! Awesome!

We're gonna have to be there since we missed everyone in Asheville. That's if we ever make it back from NC.
Yay! I have your goodie bag from Asheville!
What's the word? Ram said you were getting a new engine. :(

·
Registered
347 Posts
Time Question:

We are planning to leave from Detroit around 2:00pm Friday for the 6 hour drive to Pontiac. I believe this would get us there by 6:00pm Pontiac time; TRUE??
Aside from the time zone difference, I think Illinois does NOT participate in Daylight Savings. Can anyone vouch for this? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Time Question:

We are planning to leave from Detroit around 2:00pm Friday for the 6 hour drive to Pontiac. I believe this would get us there by 6:00pm Pontiac time; TRUE??
Aside from the time zone difference, I think Illinois does NOT participate in Daylight Savings. Can anyone vouch for this? Thanks.
6 hrs is probably about right. It's 6.5 for me from Cleveland.

And IL does participate in Daylight savings. The time there right now is 10:41 PM. The time in Detroit is 11:41 pm.

You're gonna gain an hour going west. :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
So leaving at 2 PM for a six hour drive should get you to Pontiac at 7 PM local time. The time zone change is between South Bend, IN and Michigan City, IN on I-94. The further south you go in Indiana the further west goes the time zone line.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks for the clarifications. I'm now thinking I should just try and take my vacation that week so we can get into town at a reasonable time, though wife will still work 1/2 day on Friday.
Getting close; just a little over two weeks to go.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts