Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of first things we saw at the show today was the Pontiac, Ill booth. The Mayor was there and I when I mentioned Solstices and Skys everyone's eyes lite up! They really enjoyed having the group last year and wanted to know if we are doing it again this year. I unfortunately did not attend last year, sigh...

They had a video running showing sights around town and the Kappas too for that day. So ya'll must have been on your good behavior, they want ya'll back again! :)

Tim.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
The Mayor, Ellie, and her team really went all out for us. I'm gonna try to do it again from here if I can. Prolly won't be as large a group, so maybe it will be more your style and you can attend! ;)

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Speaking of video, I never did get the video from the former mayor, Scott, and now he's running for State Representative. I'm gonna try to contact Ellie and see if she can get it for us.

Next thing...if I can pull it off from here, we can stay in Pontiac this year. Ellie mentioned last time that there is a local group that does entertainment that is really good. The only bad thing is I can't really scout roads from here to come up with a cruise or run. I know there is a little something twisty to the east, and some so so opportunities along the Vermillion going to Streator. Proplem is I'm not sure it's all paved. I'll have to put some feelers out to see if someone can scout roads for me.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Looking forward to another run.......excellent job on the first!
You kids wanna do it again? Bring the MKC kids! I'll try to round up some of the IL crew that's been quiet. We'll have to figure out a date. Guess I should resurrect the Central IL Kappas Newlsetter! Now I can be "I'm not from IL, but I just like to get the newsletter" kappa! :lol:

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
I noticed thier booth at the show today also...
BTW, its too quite here in IL. Where are all the IL kappas?

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
I noticed thier booth at the show today also...
BTW, its too quite here in IL. Where are all the IL kappas?
Well I'm a traitor since I left IL late last fall! So you all are one less!

But last year, one of the guys from Chicago set up a really nice run on LSD in early April! Other than the Pontiac thing, St. Patty's Day Parade, and Galena, we didn't do much. :(

I'm gonna email the Pontiac crew and start the thread. See if we can find a weekend to do this and what they can put together and we'll do another trip to Pontiac!

·
Registered
566 Posts
If the run dates align with the stars :lol:, I would be in for this, also. Can't offer much helps as I am also disadvantaged by distance :willy:.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Speaking of video, I never did get the video from the former mayor, Scott, and now he's running for State Representative. I'm gonna try to contact Ellie and see if she can get it for us.

Next thing...if I can pull it off from here, we can stay in Pontiac this year. Ellie mentioned last time that there is a local group that does entertainment that is really good. The only bad thing is I can't really scout roads from here to come up with a cruise or run. I know there is a little something twisty to the east, and some so so opportunities along the Vermillion going to Streator. Proplem is I'm not sure it's all paved. I'll have to put some feelers out to see if someone can scout roads for me.
I'd love to do the run again. If you need help scouting roads let me know, I can pop down there and check some areas out now and then.

·
Registered
132 Posts
scouting ...

IHawk ... send me the list of the roads you want scouted ... as soon as the salt washes off I'll be out driving ! ......:cool:

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Thanks Guys! If I remember correctly, a few years ago, SV1 and I were gonna check out a park that was to the east of that area. He told me it was a decent area. I'll look at google maps, come up with ideas and post!

The email has been sent to the City! I'm sure they'll be very excited!

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
I'm about 2 hours east of Pontiac, IL, but have not driven any of the roads in that area yet.

Tim.
I just took a quick peak at googlemaps and there isn't much. I was hoping there were roads that follow the Vermillion River, but they stop a few miles outside of Pontiac.

What we could do is follow RT 66 southwest to Lexington, then cut over to Lake Bloomington. That really looks like the best option from the Satellite view. There are little pull off parks along RT 66. If we don't have a huge group, we could do this. If I remember correctly, there is a fairly large gas station with a good sized parking lot across from one of those little parks south of Pontiac. I don't want to spend more than 2 hrs running, so we can start around 9:00 am and have everyone in Pontiac in time for lunch. Bloomington is only 20 minutes from Pontiac, so this may be workable. It will be curvy, but not twisty...if the roads are viable.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Just my thoughts, but why not concentrate on the city itself. There is more than enough to see and do there and after last years event we found it hard to visit a lot of the attractions in the city do to the limited amount of time. If we could get accommodations there it would increase or time to take in all the city has to offer and allow them to plan around our visit. I love to drive as much as the next person but the area is just not conducive to what we expect on a typical run. I would think a car show that was judged by city officials or maybe invite the public to do the judging would work. This would give them a chance to promote it to the community at large which would benefit the downtown area. I am sure if you run this kind of idea by them they would have even more ideas.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Just my thoughts, but why not concentrate on the city itself. There is more than enough to see and do there and after last years event we found it hard to visit a lot of the attractions in the city do to the limited amount of time. If we could get accommodations there it would increase or time to take in all the city has to offer and allow them to plan around our visit. I love to drive as much as the next person but the area is just not conducive to what we expect on a typical run. I would think a car show that was judged by city officials or maybe invite the public to do the judging would work. This would give them a chance to promote it to the community at large which would benefit the downtown area. I am sure if you run this kind of idea by them they would have even more ideas.
Hey Glen...as always, my PM box is full. Email me. It's my forum name at either yahoo or gmail. Either works.

Yeah, I thought about that. But something we really didn't do that is neat is stop on RT 66. So I was thinking about doing something short in the morning so we'd actually have time on 66. And then we'll already be there Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday morning. They have a big cruise in/car show one weekend in the summer, and I can't quite remember when it is. I went last year. We could piggyback on that and they would park us all together. I'll see what Ellie says.

And I did think about forgetting the run stuff. Or, I could take a smaller group out, or...I could map out some of those little parks along 66 where you can actually pull up on the pavement and people can do that at your leisure.

But you're right...there are a lot of options there and plenty to do for a day. I think people were more than ready for dinner last year!! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts