Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, well, welll...frustration seems to be hitting a new peak as we near the summer solstice. While the First One Thousand Egos seem to be finally getting their orders, the Next Ten Thousand slip further and further back on the calendar.

If Mr. Lutz and Pontiac had a "do over," I'll bet they'd wait another half-season before pulling The Apprentice tie-in stunt. The GM management mantra is "they'll get over it once they finally receive their order." Unfortunately, nobody forgets waiting 11 months for an order. Three of the ten preorders at my dealership have been cancelled--maybe they will come back, but I imagine a lot of them needed to replace a car now. Yes, some of us do plan to commute with our orders.

Those of us following the development of this vehicle from inception were particularly stung by the opening marketing ploy. Many of us had visited dealerships and offered to put money down after it was clear Mr. Lutz gave a green light to production. Now we're waiting behind thousands of folks that care more about Donald Trump's hair than automotive engineering.

It's pretty clear Pontiac Marketing is embarassed....but the spinmeisters do try to convince us that all is normal and that this is GM's way of taking care of us.

Tom Kowaleski GM Vice President, Communications : "Sorry if we are frustrating you; believe me: we are just as eager to get these cars on the road as you are. But our sole goal is to ensure you'll be a delighted owner. We want the love affair to get off on the right foot, and last. Thanks for your patience."

Glad GM finally figured out that product quality is important...but unprecedented order delays don't make "delighted owners," Tom. Had you waited six more months to market this baby--and given true sports car enthusiasts a fair shot--you would've had a lot more long term gain.

Yeah, I'm hanging in there...but I will always feel that I "Got Trumped."

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Sorry, but you missed the 'summer solstice' by three months. This week ios the atumnal equinox, the day that Equinox buyers celebrate having paid already exactly what is left on their loan. On the s.s. there was a big street dance in NYC for formal introduction. :brentil:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Solace said:
Glad GM finally figured out that product quality is important...but unprecedented order delays don't make "delighted owners," Tom. Had you waited six more months to market this baby--and given true sports car enthusiasts a fair shot--you would've had a lot more long term gain.

:agree:

There's just no good excuse for not waiting - or making damn sure cars would be available several months sooner. :yesnod:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
achieftain said:
Sorry, but you missed the 'summer solstice' by three months. This week ios the atumnal equinox, the day that Equinox buyers celebrate having paid already exactly what is left on their loan. On the s.s. there was a big street dance in NYC for formal introduction. :brentil:
I'm talkin' about NEXT year's Solstice...when my order will finally be in!

Equinox...Eclipse...Nova...Saturn...Comet...Mercury...thank God they named it Solstice and not Uranus!

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Solace said:
My apologies, thought you were hoping for car by end of this week.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It's funny how you hear the nearly the same complaints on other forums about corporate shuffling of dates, products getting pushed back (months and even years) for this issue and that issue, and the way the company reps give this excuse or that....

....yet the $50 video game inevitably goes gold and hits store shelves - is delivered, or picked up by the poor sap that preordered it 10 months ago from EB Games or some-such (been there) and still, on the day of release, needs a 35Mb patch.... :willy:

...those of you who've followed a game from inception through the dev process and into the stores have surely seen similar anger and annoyance (though not nearly in as great a volume as you see here).

Before anyone flames me...it was just an observation and, yes, I understand that it's not a $50 investment, but a $20k - $26k investment not to mention lost intrest on that same $.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Solace said:
Well, well, welll...frustration seems to be hitting a new peak as we near the summer solstice. While the First One Thousand Egos seem to be finally getting their orders,
I do not think so, still waiting no word at all.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Artfuldodger:

I concur...if Bungie Games went on national TV to market HALO 3 a year before they could produce them in quantity, most enthusiasts would still end up buying it when it finally came out. But if Bungie misses the Christmas season, they lose almost half their sales and an whole lotta good will.

Pontiac just missed their first Christmas Season. It's called "summer" for convertible buyers.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
POTFH:

OK...not everyone in the first thou' club has an ego as large as The Donalds....and clearly not everyone in the club has their wheels yet...but some folks do think they are more special than others because they were randomly selected.

Maybe I should change my color choice to envious.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
It's gonna be a long winter 'round here

·
Registered
271 Posts
Solace said:
Artfuldodger:

I concur...if Bungie Games went on national TV to market HALO 3 a year before they could produce them in quantity, most enthusiasts would still end up buying it when it finally came out. But if Bungie misses the Christmas season, they lose almost half their sales and an whole lotta good will.

Pontiac just missed their first Christmas Season. It's called "summer" for convertible buyers.
:agree: :yesnod:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mceb said:
It's gonna be a long winter 'round here
You know it. If any of you in the northeast would like to ensure that your First VINtage wheels are on display with the top down from November thru April, I'll keep it nicely garaged for you when not out on the road in sunny CA! :yesnod:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Solace said:
Artfuldodger:

:agree:
Yet Bungie, iD and Valve all do just that ~ but not on TV ~ they do it at E3. :willy: :banghead: :rolleyes: and they still manage to sell 1.7 million units in the first 2 months of retail release by catching the next x-mas...

http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=26915&category=gamers

·
Registered
621 Posts
theartfuldodger said:
It's funny how you hear the nearly the same complaints on other forums about corporate shuffling of dates, products getting pushed back (months and even years) for this issue and that issue, and the way the company reps give this excuse or that....

....yet the $50 video game inevitably goes gold and hits store shelves - is delivered, or picked up by the poor sap that preordered it 10 months ago from EB Games or some-such (been there) and still, on the day of release, needs a 35Mb patch.... :willy:

...those of you who've followed a game from inception through the dev process and into the stores have surely seen similar anger and annoyance (though not nearly in as great a volume as you see here).

Before anyone flames me...it was just an observation and, yes, I understand that it's not a $50 investment, but a $20k - $26k investment not to mention lost intrest on that same $.
I'm just happy that Sol isn't being made by 3DRealms, we would probably never see our cars. Though maybe GM should have just went with a due date of "when its done."

·
Registered
106 Posts
Drex said:
I'm just happy that Sol isn't being made by 3DRealms, we would probably never see our cars. Though maybe GM should have just went with a due date of "when its done."
Soldstice 41505 said:
Oh I get it the Sol is just a virtual-reality car.
:glol:

·
Registered
753 Posts
Solace said:

Equinox...Eclipse...Nova...Saturn...Comet...Mercury...thank God they named it Solstice and not Uranus!
proof that when you discover a planet you can name it anything you want

·
Registered
369 Posts
What do you think the Donald's words would be to the big shots at Pontiac right about now? YOUR FIRED!!!!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
:skep: shrug. corporate america. you believe anything they tell you? can only blame yourself then. this is a new car, a new platform and a new deal for pontiac. if you expected it to go off on time, under budget, perfectly, i've got a bridge i'd like to sell you..

yes, everyone wants their car today. but if you can't wait, feel free to go buy something else. no one (trump or otherwise) is forcing you to buy a solstice, now or next year.

the best thing any consumer can do is vote with their wallet. if you're unhappy with pontiac, the answer is simple, don't buy one.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
theartfuldodger said:

I can attest! I waited about 1.5 years for GT4 to finally come out.

So this wait for the Solstice is somewhat of a cakewalk for me! :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts