Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2008 Pontiac Solstice and over the course of time the back glass has separated from the soft top. I should have tackled this as soon as I saw it but didn't and now the glass is only being held in by the wires that defrost it. I called a shop and the first thing they told me was "you have to replace the entire top". Now this could be true what do I know, I wouldn't call myself a car person (I just know I love my Solstice) but is this correct? Just to get the back glass back in I need to replace my entire soft top?

If anyone has any tips or products they recommend for this kind of repair they would be appreciated. I'm just not trying to replace an entire convertible top unless I have to.

·
Super Moderator
15,994 Posts
Welcome to the forum

This problem is not common but appears often enough that it has been discussed several times.

You can spend the dollars for a replacement canvas top, and perhaps experience the same issue in the future, or you can choose to fix it.

The fix it to purchase the GM recommended adhesive - comes in a tube and is sticky as hell - and either glue it yourself, or find a local shop that will do the repair for you.

I have done three of these. It works well with two people. Extra hands. We found suction cup clamps that work well. When used in conjunction with a metal brace allows you to get a firm connection between the top and the glass. Do a test run first without the glue. Then apply a bead of glue around the window and while holding it in position, apply the clamps.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the response on this, I'll absolutely look into trying to repair it either myself (with help) or try to find a shop that will do this.
I think I was mostly just curious about the validity of "your only option is to replace the entire top" which eventually I plan to do but not at this moment.

Appreciate you!

·
Super Moderator
6,015 Posts
Thanks so much for the response on this, I'll absolutely look into trying to repair it either myself (with help) or try to find a shop that will do this.
I think I was mostly just curious about the validity of "your only option is to replace the entire top" which eventually I plan to do but not at this moment.

Appreciate you!
GM did not sell the glass as a separate part, so there was originally no option for repair, and that is why the standard answer is total replacement of the top only. That changed with the TSB that TS mentioned, but clearly the word hasn't gotten out to the repair shops.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The hardest part of the repair is getting over the fear of screwing it up, you only get one shot at it. I recommend a few dry runs before using glue and I wouldn't attempt it without two people. I fixed the NA's window about a year and a half ago and have had no issues after the repair. I used a different method than the one Rob used but I like his better, I wasn't aware those suction cups existed.

Below is the before and after:

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
My rear window came loose two years ago. I wasn't up for doing the repair myself, so with TSB in hand, visited every body shop/ auto upholstery shop in my area ... no one would touch it, not even the local GM dealer. Top replacement was my only option. I got the complete top, frame and all, from a forum member. Local collision repair shop R&R'd top for 250 bucks.

·
Registered
352 Posts
it wood be nice if gm wood cover it since it is a repeating issue......on "old" cars.....aint gonna happen. Im sure some day Ill have to fix mine too. and the junk yard top I got has the window out of it too....oh yes wooden it be nice....And while there at it they should make some wooden camshafts for more power in the NA cars so when you rev it up it go's wooden wooden wooden!!!! then zoom zoom zoom away!!! so yes get the clamps and adhesive and some aluminum to hold it all flat in the proper position and a few dry runs or just drive around with the top down or get a hard top!!. either route you choose good luck!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts